Six

ambivalence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Tzuyu was silent as she carried Nayeon in her arms.

 

The latter had her arms around the taller girl's neck to save herself from the chances of falling, or from the chances of Tzuyu dropping her. Nayeon couldn't hide her red cheeks as she looks up to see Tzuyu's face.

 

It's not every day that one gets to be in her arms and even though Nayeon hated the taller girl, she couldn't deny the fact that it was flustering indeed; even add in the fact that she used to like her.

 

And the fact that she heard what Tzuyu had said in the field loud and clear.

 

Tzuyu held a stoic expression, somehow showing the aura that she was pissed. Her brows slightly furrowed to form a crease in between her eyebrows.

 

Nayeon gulped, why would she be pissed?

 

Weirdly enough, she liked the warmth Tzuyu had radiated. She liked how she felt protected, in a sense.

 

"You can put me down, Tzuyu. I can still walk," Nayeon had offered weakly as to not piss off the taller girl.

 

Odd, why was she even worried that she might piss her off?

 

Maybe it was the serious demeanor she held.

 

Maybe.

 

Tzuyu just ignored Nayeon's offer and didn't even bother to spare a glance, keeping a straight face as they neared the clinic. Nayeon could only sigh in defeat and rests her head on Tzuyu's shoulder, her cheek still stung from the hard ball. The tall girl didn't flinch at the contact and just walks. She tilts her head up to check on Tzuyu once more.

 

Nayeon realizes that she never really took a good look at Tzuyu's facial features before, and how each one of it definitely complimented her beauty.

 

She never noticed her rather sharp jawline, how her nose fit her face perfectly, her cheeks that seem to be so squishy, her cheekbones, long lashes, lips-

 

Tzuyu felt the stare the girl in her arms had been giving her and tilted her head down to look at Nayeon. The latter slightly jumped, surprised from being caught and now trapped under her gaze.

 

"Staring is rude, you know?" Tzuyu mutters before she returns her gaze to the direction of the clinic.

 

"Sorry," whispered Nayeon quietly.

 

Tzuyu's jaw relaxed which she didn't even notice was clenched from the vulnerability the smaller girl gave off.

 

How dare she manage to be cute.

 

She could only sigh as she enters the clinic and pushes the door open using her right shoulder. Tzuyu sees the school nurse and cuts her off before she could even speak.

 

"Can we use the bed?"

 

Nayeon's eyes widen, snapping her head up to face the taller girl, "Excuse me?"

 

Well that came out wrong.

 

The nurse too was taken aback by the cryptic request. She stands up from her desk to acknowledge their presence.

 

"I'm sorry dear but the clinic isn't exactly the place to-"

 

"Oh my god, woman. We're not even trying anything, I just need a bed for this idiot right here to lie down on," Tzuyu cuts her off yet again, gesturing to the girl in her arms.

 

Oh," was all the nurse could mutter, taking a glance at Nayeon before noticing the bruise forming on the side of her face.

 

And the light tinge of pink on her cheeks too.

 

She clears to ease the slight misunderstanding.

 

"There's a vacant one over here," she gestures to the little room made out of what seemed to be curtains as walls in the corner of the clinic, "you can put her down there if you like."

 

Tzuyu just nodded at the woman and did as she was told, still carrying Nayeon. The latter was still blushing mad from embarrassment over the nurse's presumption.

 

Tzuyu sets Nayeon down on the bed and makes her comfortable against the soft sheets, carefully placing her head on top of the pillow.

 

"Can we have an ice pack, please?" Tzuyu asks as she goes to the nurse.

 

The tall girl returns with an ice pack in hand, taking a seat on the bed right beside Nayeon. She gestures for the smaller girl to sit up and she obliges.

 

"Thank you."

 

Nayeon was about to grab the ice pack from Tzuyu's hand but the latter moves her arm away from Nayeon's reach, holding the small girl's hands down with her free arm. Tzuyu doesn't utter a word which confuses Nayeon, still keeping a straight face.

 

Nayeon sighs pursing her lips, "Tzuyu, can I have the ice pack plea-"

 

"Let me."

 

Tzuyu scoots closer to Nayeon.

 

"It's fine, Tzuyu, really. You can go now I can handle myself-"

 

"I said let me, Im Nayeon."

 

Tzuyu looks at Nayeon dead in the eye, her tone firm and serious.

 

"It's partly my fault anyway," she mutters but was inaudible for Nayeon to hear.

 

Nayeon doesn't utter another word as Tzuyu inches herself closer this time, hand propped up beside Nayeon's waist while the other pressed the ice pack against the bruised girl's cheek. The alarming distance and the firm tone in Tzuyu's voice didn't go unnoticed by other.

 

Nayeon swore she could already feel the tall girl's hot breath on her face once again. Tzuyu's eyes were fixed on the bruise, not really minding the smaller girl’s wandering eyes searching for clues to answer her strange behavior.

 

She unintentionally presses the ice pack firmly against the bunny-teethed girl's cheek, the latter winces in pain and at the icy sensation.

 

"Ouch."

 

Tzuyu wanted to curse at herself by the mistake. She didn't realize how stern she was until she heard Nayeon's small yelp.

 

Tzuyu doesn't say sorry.

 

"Stop moving."

 

Nayeon could only purse her lips in defeat as Tzuyu presses the ice pack on her cheek.

 

Tzuyu just heaves out a deep breath, noticing how Nayeon suddenly turned quiet with no usual incoherent phrases concerning her being a jerk, flinching from time to time at the coldness the ice pack emitted. How hard was it for her to say sorry?

 

Minutes passed and the silence grew, Tzuyu still lightly pressing the ice pack against the bruised cheek to numb the pain and reduce the swelling. Instead of meeting Tzuyu's eyes, Nayeon could only look at the palm of her hands instead as she spaces out.

 

They weren't used to the deafening silence. They were used to their loud bickering which would only end up to no good; the silence was an entirely different concept for the two of them. They couldn't find comfort within it. There was this weird tension in the air and they knew it.

 

Tzuyu didn't know why she instinctively rushed to Nayeon's side earlier either. Maybe it was because she felt a slight tinge of guilt. She didn't know why she had the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter