Four

ambivalence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

An hour or two had passed and the rain didn’t feel like stopping anytime soon. Nayeon, who was standing for the entire time, decided to sit down by the threshold, leaning her head on the door frame. She stares up at the sky as it turned dark, nearing nighttime.

 

Nayeon had already called her boss at where she worked part-time, saying she couldn’t make it due to the heavy rain. Luckily, he didn’t chew her out. She stares into the distance, lost in her own thoughts. Sana occupied her thoughts, mostly.

 

It was hard, being ignored by your best friend was hard. The person you shared so many secrets and memories with, one whom you’ve made a strong bond with, it wasn’t easy. Not a minute throughout the entire day did Sana not cross her mind. It was a miracle if even for a split second, her thoughts would wonder somewhere else.

 

She loved her best friend, and knowing that she had hurt her in a way, she hated herself. Nayeon hated herself for lying to Sana, thinking that it was for the best.

 

Groaning, Nayeon repeatedly hits her head on the door frame.

 

 “Stupid idiot, look what you’ve done,” she chastised herself. The bunny-teethed girl heaves out a sigh, silently praying for the rain to stop.

 

Nayeon closes her eyes; maybe letting a little sleep in would be nice; seeing as how the rain didn’t feel like stopping. Just as she felt herself succumbing to sleep, a loud thunder had jolted her awake, making her jump in surprise.

 

 Nayeon hated thunders.

 

The small girl brought her knees to her chest and hugged them, a habit she does when she gets scared of the thunder. She buries her face in her legs and decided to wait. The rain was nearing to a stop; the heavy drops of rain weren’t as heavy as before.

 

Nayeon didn’t want to wait any longer and stood up, ironing her skirt. She wanted to make a run for it. To hell with it if she gets sick, she’d be more than happy if she did.

 

No school, no big-eared to annoy her.

 

“Alright,” Nayeon huffs as she held onto her backpack and prepared to run as fast as she could to the nearest bus stop.

 

Just as she dashed off and was soaked by the rain, a hand grabbed her arm and pulled her under what seemed to be the shade of an umbrella.

 

“Hey!”

 

Nayeon was about to push the stranger off but the grip was too strong and she found herself face to face, inches apart, with someone familiar.

 

“Where do you think you’re going? You’re gonna end up sick if you do that.”

 

“Jeong!”

 

Jeongyeon smiled and pinched the bunny’s cheek, “Idiot.”

 

Nayeon looks at the girl holding the umbrella with furrowed brows, “Wait why are you still here?”

 

Jeongyeon flicked her forehead and chuckled, “I had detention, remember? How could you forget?”

 

Nayeon had open as she remembered, “Right, all because of your stupid joke.”

 

“It wasn’t stupid, you gotta admit it was pretty funny though,” Jeongyeon nudged and wiggled her eyebrows up and down.

 

Nayeon giggled and playfully slapped Jeongyeon’s arm. Jeongyeon feigned hurt quite dramatically which earned her Nayeon’s laugh.

 

The latter was more than thankful that Jeongyeon was here, not only for the umbrella and saving her from the probability of getting sick, but also for making her laugh.

 

Jeongyeon genuinely smiles at the smaller girl. Of course she knew how Nayeon was thinking too much about Sana. She was more than happy to put a smile on her face. She was more than happy to see Nayeon’s bunny teeth when she smiles, and how her eyes scrunch up when she does.

 

She was happy that she gets to be there for her.

 

Jeongyeon noticed how Nayeon’s bangs weren’t in place, so she reached and fixed it for the smaller girl.

 

“Oh,” Nayeon fixed it on her own after Jeongyeon did, “Thanks.”

 

Jeongyeon burries her spare hand, the one she used to fix Nayeon’s bangs, in her blazer’s pockets.

 

It took a lot of willpower for her to do that.

 

“Learn how to use a comb next time and look in the mirror for once,” Jeongyeon scrunched her nose in feign disgust, “You’re a mess.”

 

The comment only earned her another slap on the arm from the bunny, this time it actually hurt.

 

“If you don’t have anything nice to say then take me to the bus stop.”

 

Jeongyeon shrugged, “I’ve got plenty to say, where should I start?”

 

Nayeon only glared at her.

 

“I’m kidding, let’s go.”

 

Nayeon smiled and linked arms with Jeongyeon as they head to the bus stop. Nayeon ranted on and on about how Tzuyu had pissed her off a lot earlier. Jeongyeon just nodded in reply. She could barely breathe at Nayeon’s action. They arrived at the bus stop as the rain poured down heavily again. Nayeon cursed countless profanities.

 

“When the hell will this rain ever stop? We’re never getting home at this rate.” Nayeon heaves out a sigh in annoyance and crosses her arms over her chest. Jeongyeon laughed at her antics.

 

“The bus is here,” Jeongyeon turned to Nayeon and nudged her as a bus was headed their way.

 

Nayeon sighed in relief, “Finally!”

 

As the bus came to a halt in front of them and as Nayeon was about to hop on after bidding Jeongyeon goodbye, the latter had turned Nayeon around.

 

“Wait,” Jeongyeon takes Nayeon’s hand for her to grip the umbrella she’s been holding, smiling. “Take this; I know you still have to walk home. We can’t let you get sick now, right?”

 

“But-“

 

“No buts, Ms. Im, take it and go.”

 

Nayeon at the umbrella then at Jeongyeon. She was reluctant to accept it at first but knowing how stubborn the other girl could be, she accepted the offer.

 

She nodded, “Fine, I’ll take it.”

 

Jeongyeon nodded as well and ushered for her to hop on the bus, as the driver was waiting. The bus leaves, Nayeon waves at Jeongyeon and mouthed her a ‘thank you.’ Jeongyeon just smiled in return and waved back. The short haired girl smiled in content as the bus leaves her sight. She was assured that Nayeon would be able to get home safely.

 

Oh, right. If it wasn’t obvious enough –

 

 Jeongyeon likes Nayeon.

 

But she doesn’t and would never want for Nayeon to know.

 

 She’s okay with what they have.

 

 She didn’t want to risk it, knowing that Nayeon probably doesn’t like her back that way.

 

Jeongyeon was the one who went home soaking wet and without an umbrella.

 

-

 

Tzuyu was in the library.

 

 Again.

 

Well this time, she was in the library before classes begun. It’s been a few days ever since the little scene with Nayeon, and so far she’s done a pretty good job pissing the smaller girl off.

 

She enjoyed every second she spent pissing her off. Tzuyu didn’t get why she pisses off Nayeon but never even bothered to piss off Sana.

 

Maybe it’s because of those bunny teeth of hers that she found ridiculously cute.

Maybe it’s because she found her cute when she gets angry.

Maybe it’s because she noticed how she liked seeing Nayeon’s facial features so much.

May it be her rosy cheeks, her beautiful brown orbs, the tip of her nose, her plump lips..

 

Tzuyu immediately shook her head. What nonsense, she just enjoyed annoying her.

 

Yeah, that’s it.

 

Thanks to Nayeon, however, Tzuyu could finally go home early. There were still people who wanted to talk to her, but the tall girl would brush them off saying, “Sorry, my girlfriend would kill me.”

 

 To Tzuyu’s surpised, it worked. It worked way better than it did with Sana.

 

Tzuyu looks at her phone to check the time; she had thirty minutes left before class starts. She puts the book she took back on the shelves and packed her stuff up, ready to head to class. Just as she was about to leave, however, someone came through the library doors.

 

Said someone greeted the librarian and asked if she could borrow a book right away. The librarian nodded, giving in to the charms said person had.

 

The person was Nayeon.

 

Tzuyu’s eyes followed where the bunny-looking girl was headed to and trailed behind her.

 

She smirked, what better way to start off the day than to annoy Im Nayeon?

 

She finds Nayeon reaching up for a book on the top shelf. Tzuyu stiffled a laugh, the smaller girl even went as far as hopping to try and reach the book she was looking for.

 

She found it cute.

 

Shaking her head, Tzuyu decided to make her presence known. She goes behind Nayeon and grabbed the book the latter had been wanting to reach but couldn’t. Tzuyu couldn’t help but notice how close she was to Nayeon, and how the smaller girl’s shampoo and perfume filled her lungs.

 

She liked the smell, it was intoxicating.

 

Nayeon beamed at the sight of a hand reaching for the book she needed, not having an idea who it was.

 

“Thank you so much! I was--“ she turns around and slightly jumped at

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter