Two

ambivalence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lunch came and the cafeteria was filled with students.

 

Sana walked in together with Nayeon, clinging onto her arm.

 

“It feels like I just missed a month’s worth of schoolwork!” The squirrel exclaimed, drained from both the scolding and the extra homework the teachers gave.

 

“Idiot, maybe if you actually just went to school, you wouldn’t have had this much to do!”

 

 Sana groaned, “Even if I did, I’d be distracted. Tzuyu needs to notice me~”

 

 Nayeon sighed in frustration, “When does she ever notice you anyway.”

 

“She’s just very shy, that’s why.”

 

Nayeon just shook her head again in disbelief, “Whatever, let’s just go get lunch.”

 

The two chattered as they lined up for their food. Well, mostly they just bickered and teased with each other, given with Sana’s personality and Nayeon’s stubbornness.

 

“Dahyun’s in so much trouble. She messed with the student council classroom again. Jihyo’s definitely gonna have her by her ear.”

 

Sana laughed as they walked to their table. Dahyun had TP-ed the classroom, again. This time, she threw in more toilet paper than usual.

 

“Do you even have a little bit of sanity left in you? You’re a part of the student council yet it’s like you’re letting her off the hook!” Nayeon looked at her like she was crazy.

 

Sana giggled, “Having a little fun can’t be bad, right? Besides, she was a bit cute.”

 

Nayeon just raised a brow, “Cute, huh?”

 

“She is! Why, don’t you find her cute?”

 

“If Tzuyu hears you say that you’re gonna be so dead.”

 

“If I hear what?”

 

The familiar voice had stopped the two girls in their tracks. Sana mentally cursed in her head. And Nayeon, well…

 

The two turned to Tzuyu, who was also carrying her lunch and looked at the two girls.

 

Sana smiled lovingly, “Tzuyu-ah! Want to have lunch with me?”

 

 Tzuyu ignored Sana’s offer and turned to Nayeon, smirking at the bunny-teethed girl.

 

“Hello, Im Nayeon.”

 

Nayeon pursed her lips together and just nodded in return as a greeting.

 

 “I see you told Sana that we talked yesterday.”

 

Nayeon’s ears perked up. She closed her eyes and cursed countless profanities in her head. What she told Sana was completely different and now Tzuyu knows.

 

“Hey.”

 

Nayeon opened one eye, silently wishing that Tzuyu was gone but was greeted by the sight of her face closer to the taller girl’s.

 

Tzuyu smirked, again.

 

 Sana looked at the two in confusion given their positions.

 

Nayeon knew how Tzuyu would surely get her for this.

 

It was not a surprise to everyone how cold and how much of a jerk Tzuyu can be, but it added points to her appeal.

 

“You deserve a thank you from me,” Tzuyu chuckled and pulled her head back, turning to look at Sana who was smiling at her.

 

The taller girl faked a smile.

 

“I’m grateful that you told Sana,” Tzuyu reached out and ruffled Nayeon’s hair, earning her a groan of protest from the girl. “As a reward, meet me later by the gate.”

 

Sana raised a brow, jealousy slightly running through her. Tzuyu noticed this and ruffled Sana’s hair too.

 

“The both of you of course, I have a small surprise as a token of appreciation,” Tzuyu smiled genuinely.

 

Nayeon was caught off guard, and actually believed that maybe Tzuyu changed even a little bit.

 

Maybe Tzuyu learned to love Sana.

 

But, Nayeon failed to see the intention in Tzuyu’s eyes. Tzuyu left the girls after bidding a small good bye.

 

Sana squealed, “I wonder what she has in plan?”

 

And the two spent lunch time with Sana talking non-stop about the tall girl. Nayeon couldn’t do anything but listen.

 

-

 

Nayeon and Sana were done for the day as their teacher dismissed them. She heaved out a sigh, she was tired. After having a long day at school, she still had to go to work right after. She sulked and banged her head on her desk; she wanted this school year to end already.

 

“No wonder you’re crazy.”

 

Jeongyeon laughed as she took a seat in front of Nayeon.

 

“Leave me alone, Jeong.”

 

Aside from Sana, Jeongyeon was another friend who was very close to her. They didn’t hang much anymore, but their friendship still remained intact.

 

Nayeon could feel her eyes starting to droop as she was succumbing to sleep.

 

 Jeongyeon hit her head with a notebook, “You still have work to do idiot.”

 

 Nayeon groaned as she was hit rather harshly and was about to hit her back.

 

 “Nayeon-ah!” Sana skipped towards Nayeon.

 

“Oh, Sana.”

 

“I’m sorry, but can you meet Tzuyu alone? I still have work to do with Jihyo.”

 

“Oh, okay,” Nayeon nodded, “But wouldn’t it be nice if you’re there too?”

 

Jeongyeon just watched the two. Sana shook her head and smiled, “She’ll understand, she loves me anyway.”

 

Jeongyeon just grimaced, luckily Sana didn’t see her. Everyone could see how Tzuyu didn’t actually love her, it was too clear. She couldn’t believe how oblivious she could be.

 

“Okay,” Nayeon nodded weakly, not having any energy to do anything today.

 

Sana bid her goodbyes to the two and left with Jihyo who was waiting for her by their classroom door. As the squirrel left, Jeongyeon turned to Nayeon who was slumping in her seat with a rather questioning look.

 

"Meeting up with Tzuyu alone, hm?” Jeongyeon had asked teasingly.

 

Nayeon glared weakly at the girl, “Cut it off.”

 

Jeongyeon looked up as if she was thinking with her hand on her chin, “Hmm, you’re meeting your best friend’s girlfriend whom you ‘used’ to like.”

 

The short haired girl emphasized the ‘used’ word and laughed, feeling the other’s glare.

 

“Said girl was the reason why you had your hair done on the night you were supposed to confess,” Jeongyeon laughed as she continued to tease.

 

“Yoo Jeongyeon! I told you to stop!” Nayeon’s screams of protest were of no match against her teasing.

 

She grabbed a notebook and chucked it at Jeongyeon, who just laughed like a maniac.

 

“But sadly, Sana just had to confess first and well! She becomes Tzuyu’s girlfriend.”

 

Nayeon glared at her friend. It wasn’t true that Nayeon was immune to Tzuyu’s charms. It wasn’t true that she didn’t like her. She was one of many.

 

Nayeon was supposed to confess. Well, ‘was.’ She took the chance to confess, even though she knew she didn’t stand a chance. So one day after school, she tried to stand off against her competitors. She had her hair done at a parlor, and even put on a little bit of makeup.

 

“What brings you here, dear? Are you going to confess to your crush?” The lady managing the parlor had asked.

 

Nayeon nodded eagerly, “Yes, and I’m planning to confess today.”

 

The ladies in the parlor smiled at the young girl, and cheered her on. They even gave her tips on how to approach Tzuyu. Nayeon was excited of what could happen.

 

On her way to school to wait for Tzuyu, Nayeon had thought of which approach she should take.

 

“Chou Tzuyu, I’m Im Nayeon. I’ve liked you for a while now. I know you’re very popular with girls and boys, but you’re bound to end up with me.”

 

Nayeon let it roll off her tongue and pondered. She imagined how Tzuyu would take her confession and maybe, just maybe, Tzuyu would take hers seriously.

 

Nayeon shook her head, “Agh, Nayeon. You’re not really gonna say that, right?”

 

Nayeon continued to walk towards the school, the smile never leaving her face. As she was about to walk past the school gate, a sight greeted her which caught her off guard.

 

 It was Sana and Tzuyu.

 

She quickly hid behind a wall so they couldn’t see her.

 

Her eyes widened, what were they doing here, and both alone?

 

Then Nayeon remembered. She knew how Sana had a huge crush on Tzuyu, but sadly Sana didn’t know that Nayeon did too. She couldn’t bring herself to tell her. Nayeon had hoped that it wasn’t what she thought it was.

 

She silently hoped that she wasn’t going to confe-

 

“Chou Tzuyu, I like you.”

 

And the odds weren’t in Nayeon’s favor.

 

She felt betrayed in a way, but why should she when Sana didn’t do anything wrong?

 

She should be happy for her best friend. There was this part in her that hoped Tzuyu would reject Sana. Tzuyu always rejected confessi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter