Yan Ran Goes Missing

Oh! My Emperor's Uncle?

I am the world's worst friend. In a fraction of a millisecond Mo Ran kissed me and now Yan Ran has run off crying. I can't find her anywhere. Even Xiao He, Yan Ran's maid, doesn't know where she is. My feet are aching from looking for her all afternoon. I miss sneakers. Why don't they have sneakers in this place?

I'm pretty worried about Yan Ran because this crazy backwards kingdom doesn't have police or a missing persons' department. It has pretty men with super powers based on the twelve star signs...and trees. There are lots and lots of trees. Yan Ran could be sleeping under any of them. Time to check the palace first.

I'm back at the palace...and I have just caught the Emperor, Bei Tang Yi holding the Queen Dowager's maid, Bilian, in his arms. Yikes, he's really pushing her around. I never would have guessed that he'd like her. Stinker. I was under the impression that he liked me.

Karma says that I deserve to see this after what I've just done to Yan Ran, but that doesn't make Yi any less a dirty rascal. Maybe if I clench my fists and stomp off angrily I'll feel better...nope. Not working. Grrrr. I need to stomp harder. Ow. Pain shoots up my legs. For crying out loud would it kill someone to invent some Nikes here?

I'm going to have to sit down on the Emperor's royal swing for a bit.

My emotions are a mess of unicorn poop right now. Not even the fluffy white bunny can cheer me up. Yes, they have a pet fluffy white bunny in the palace who lives near the royal swing. Don't ask me why.

I've hurt one of my only friends and now she's missing, my idol likes playing rough with the ugly Bilian, and Mo Ran's kiss gave me a heart attack. A big one. Okay, okay it wasn't a real heart attack but my fingers were tingling. What's wrong with me?

At least I look good in pink, right?

I hang my head. No that doesn't make me feel better right now.

I wish I could tell Mo Ran that Yan Ran is missing, he'd know what to do. He's good at saving the day even if he has no clue that Yan Ran likes him. But he's in a meeting with the other constellation owners right now. If I interrupt I might have to go back to prison again, and I can't afford to be drinking and playing cards right now. And yes, I do spend some time in chains while I'm in prison. It's not all fun and games, you know.

"Fei Fei." Mo Ran appears at my side and I cringe. I really don't want to see him right now.

He looks at my face and frowns. "It seems my words from earlier have upset you."

I glance up at him; the guy who kissed me. "Why are you here?"

He shrugged. "The meeting of constellation owners has ended for the day. I thought I would come and find you."

I sigh. "Do you think Bilian is prettier than me?"

He smiles a little. "You already know the answer to that."

Oops. I can feel my cheeks getting warm. "Right." I move the swing back and forth a little. "Forget I said anything."

"I can never forget anything you say," he says in a quiet voice. He leans down and pats the bunny on its back. "Why don't you like me, Fei Fei?"

"I don't like any of you Bei Tangs right now." I grumble. "None of you are nice."

"Why not? What have I done to you?" he demands, looking confused. The guy who kissed me is confused. I'd laugh but it's not funny.

"Yan Ran is missing," I say. "I can't find her anywhere and it's your fault."

HIs brows lift, and he bends down to face me. I can feel my face getting warmer. "Then we'd better find her so that you forgive me."

I don't know what to say to this. So I say nothing. It shouldn't make me happy that he wants my forgiveness though.

"Help me to round up the others," he says. "We'll all meet at the woods behind the mansion to look for her."

"Okay," I try to get up and wince when I put pressure back on my sore feet. "Ow."

"What's wrong?" He reaches out and takes my foot in his hands.

"Nothing! Nothing!" I push his hands away. "I'll invent Nikes later. For now, help me get the others. I'll meet you in the woods."

He still takes my arm and helps me to stand up from the swing. It's nice that he cares so much. Why couldn't he be like this with Yan Ran? She's the one who really likes him.

"You're a kissing monster, but at least you're not a stinker," I concede.

He hides a smile. "Unlike someone I know."

"Hey! That wasn't me looking at you in the bath earlier! Okay?"

He gives me a knowing look and walks away. Stupid, smart handsome man. He must have some kind of super charm power pointed at me to make me feel like this after one stupid kiss. I have to tell him to turn his energy and interest elsewhere.

Later, I'll find a chance to tell him the truth about Yan Ran while we're searching for her.

I go to gather up some of the boys, and we walk down together to a small clearing in the woods to wait for the others. It's late afternoon now, and it's getting colder. I hop up and down on the spot to get warm, but it hurts my feet. Bei Tang Yi comes to stand next to me. Dirty rascal.

"Hey, Casanova!" I say. "What are you looking at?"

He pokes at my shoulder. I push him back. He drops something and we both look down.

He's stolen my favourite keyring. I go down to pick it up and he snatches it away.

"Give it back!" I order, gritting my teeth. He's making me mad.

"Crazy woman!" he replies. He's holding my keyring out of reach.

"You're the crazy woman!" I say.

"No you are."

"Want me to show you a crazy woman?" I say, pulling my sleeve back on my arm. I'm so gonna punch this stinker. I bet he faints when he sees the blood coming out of his nose.

"Fei Fei!" snaps Mo Ran. I pause. That's his stern voice. Maybe it's not a good idea to punch the Emperor in the face. Especially if he is Mo Ran's nephew.

Wait, why do I care if he is Mo Ran's nephew? I don't care what Mo Ran thinks of me! I'm going in for the punch!

Mo Ran firmly wraps a hand around my fist and lowers it. His fingers stay in mine for a bit longer than they should. The dirty rascal notices but says nothing. Probably doesn't care now that he's got Bilian.

Mo Ran leads me to stand in a circle with the others. He glares at me and I give him my most innocent look. I really wasn't going to punch his punk of a nephew, okay? It was just an empty threat. Sort of.

He squeezes my fingers and lets them go. I blink down at my hand and then move it behind my back. Nothing to see here. Nothing different being felt here either. Nope. No tingles whatsoever.

Mo Ran updates everyone on Yan Ran, and then tells everyone to break up into pairs. Teams of two start breaking off to search. When it comes down to the three Bei Tangs and me, I look at stinker Yi. I look at Mo Ran who kissed me. Then I step forward to join smiley-faced Tang Tang. He's the safest one to be with right now.

Mo Ran reclaims the hand I've been hiding behind my back. I can feel the blood rushing up to my face again. Thank goodness I'm wearing powder and blush.

He gives me a meaningful look. Tang Tang rolls his eyes and walks away. I wish I could do that right now.

"Theeeeeeen, it's just the three of us left," I announce, trying to free my hand without alerting anyone to what's going on. Not that I care what anyone thinks but it is also none of their business. "Three of us should team up then. Let's go this way."

I finally free my hand at the same time Bei Tang Yi decides to grab at it, only to catch Mo Ran's hand instead.

They're holding each other's hands. I pretend nothing has happened and step out of their way.