Into the Woods

Oh! My Emperor's Uncle?

I have never been in the woods before with nothing to guide me but the stars and the moon. It's creepy. I could be walking into a spider web at any moment and I wouldn't know it. Yuk! Something just went in my mouth. What was it? I miss my phone torch.

I glance back at Bei Tang Yi and Mo Ran. The guys have been arguing with each other like old women for a while now. Yi is now telling Mo Ran he's old, which is kind of funny, and Mo Ran is telling Yi to pay more attention to his fiancee, who so happens to be Yan Ran. Yes, this world has arranged marriages. Go figure.

Yi tells Mo Ran that he needs to wait for his older Uncle to get married first before he can. Mo Ran narrows his eyes at his nephew, turns around and spots me watching. Suddenly, his face brightens.

Oh no, I'm not going to be a part of this conversation. I quicken my step in an effort to get away from them. My left foot finds a small rabbit hole, and I lose my balance.

My ankle twists as I fall down on my knees. Pain shoots up my leg and I let out a small whine of pain. "Ow."

Mo Ran kneels down beside me and slides one hand under my legs and the other around my back. He lifts me up into his arms. I stare up at him but he's not looking at me. He's looking at Bei Tang Yi.

"She's had enough for one night," he announces, shifting me closer to the warmth of his chest. "I'm taking her back to my place to rest."

"Eh!" I make a little half hearted protest. I know, I'm pathetic. But you try refusing a handsome guy who's holding you princess style and see how you go. It's not possible.

"A lot of people are looking for Yan Ran," he says to me in his stern voice. He's still not looking at me though. "Trust us to find her for you."

He starts walking, and I glance back over Mo Ran's shoulder at Bei Tang Yi. He doesn't look annoyed, he doesn't look happy either. I never know what he's thinking.

I look up at Mo Ran, his face shows his determination to take me back home. He's still not looking at me. Does he think something will happen if he does? Like me yelling at him to put me down?

This guy is smart.

After a while, I give into my curiousity and decide to turn his face to look at me. I do it by reaching up and touching his chin. He stops walking and looks down at me.

His eyes widen with surprise. He stares at me without blinking. I can feel the temperature rising between us even as I remove my hand.

"You look kind of...tense," I say. Oratory genius. That's me.

"You have been acting strangely since I confessed to you today," he says. "Do you dislike me so much?"

Did I say I didn't like him? I guess I did. I want to tell him that his kiss from earlier has confused me. It made me feel things that I had not felt with Bei Tan Yi.

But he is Yan Ran's. I have already made my choice.

"Fei Fei," he says in that reasoning voice of his. "Are you upset that I kissed you? I won't do it again without your permission."

I force a smile onto my face. "I'm not upset. You just took me by surprise, that's all. I have been waiting all my life for a handsome rich guy to say those things to me and I didn't expect it to be you."

He starts walking again. "I know. You're expecting to hear it from my nephew."

"I am! I mean I was," I say, thinking of Yi and Bilian. "I guess I should stop hoping for that now."

"Why?" he asks. His expression turns cautiously neutral. "He cares about you a great deal. Wait a while and I'm sure he'll say what you want to hear."

Hearing this kind of encouragement from the man who gave me the earth-shattering kiss earlier shouldn't be confusing me further, but it is. Am I being distracted by desire? Because if I am, it's pretty powerful stuff.

Suddenly, I'm looking at Mo Ran in a whole different way. He is smart, kind, and has been so caring towards me since I came crashing into his life. Correction. Splashing. Why have I never looked at him this way before?

Because I've been blinded by Bei Tang Yi. Bei Tang Yi, the man who looks exactly like my favourite idol but is nothing like him. I'm growing up, I guess.

Mo Ran stops by a tree and lowers me down onto the ground so that I can lean back on the trunk. "Wait here," he says. His face is close to mine. "I'm going to get some water."

I'm blushing again. I make fanning motions at my face. "Yeah. It's kind of warm weather for this time of year."

He gives me this confused look and then goes off to find water. While I'm waiting I start pulling the pins out of my hair. I can feel a headache starting to develop on the right side of my head and I want to make it go away fast. I start massaging my head with my fingers.

When Mo Ran comes back, he stares at my handiwork.

"What?" I touch the top of my head to check it's not a mess. "There's no paracetamol in this place. Once I get a headache I have to put up with it until I throw up."

He blinks as he tries to make sense of my words, and then offers me the full bag of water he's been carrying. "Here. This will help for now. I'll make you a tonic when we get back."

I take a sip from the bag, and notice that he's staring at my hair. "Does it look bad?" I ask. "Can you fix it for me so I don't look like a crazy woman?"

He hesitates for a really long time and then nods slightly. I turn around a little so that he can reach my hair. I feel his long fingers comb through the strands and I relax. It feels nice.

I look up at the stars in the night sky and smile. "Beautiful. Not an airplane or satellite in sight."

"Yes," he says, combing my hair. "Beautiful. That's where I first saw you."

"Huh? What are you talking about?"

He points upwards with one hand. "You were a falling star shooting down across the sky over there. When I saw you, I knew I'd never be the same."

I can feel myself blush again. I'm sick of blushing around this guy. All this blushing can't be good for your brain cells. "Don't say things like that, your highness. I don't like you."

He stops combing my hair and lifts me back up into his arms in one swift movement. He looks at me and waits for me to look back. I lift my chin and look at his eyes.

Oh boy. This is not just desire. This is something more. I'm in trouble.