Experience

Oh! My Emperor's Uncle?

"No fair him calling me a feral monkey," I complain to Mo Ran when we are alone. "Minister Su abducted me and then tried to bribe me. He deserved a lesson."

Mo Ran smiles. "I did not think he would ever go to this extent for me. I've never seen this side of him before."

"Neither have I," I say. "Uhm...I discovered a secret about you as well."

"Oh?"

"Madame Yuan said that he was a special customer here. That must mean you are one too."

He hesitates, looks around and gestures at a door. "Come. Let's talk in here."

"All right." I follow him in to a dark empty room. He leads me to the edge of a romantic bed covered in bright silks and decorated cushions, and we sit down side by side.

I try to act casual. "So, this seems like a good place for us to have a serious discussion. We can't be distracted by thoughts of seeing each other or doing other things. Nope. Am not feeling awkward at all."

Mo Ran seems to be holding in a laugh. It takes some time for him to control it and speak up. "Fei Fei, you may have guessed that Xun Xian owns many businesses in town. The House of Phoenix is just one of them. Because we are friends and business partners...I have spent some time here."

I try not to feel bothered by this news, but I am a little. "So," I say, fidgeting. "You've been with lots of women then."

"No," he shakes his head. "I have been with none."

I blink. "What? How is that possible? Have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately?"

He laughs out loud this time. It's a deep rumble that comes up from his stomach. He thinks I'm joking?

I point at the door. "Have you seen how pretty some of the girls in here are? Have you seen how they admire you? You must be some kind of saint to ignore them!"

"I am not a saint. I just needed to seem...experienced to others, Xun Xian included. It helps with business, politics, and sometimes even attempted assassinations."

"You are playing another role," I murmur. What a master of disguise. He was like an onion, a really handsome one, and I was slowly peeling the layers away.

"Does it bother you?" he asks. "To learn that I play so many roles?"

I climb up into a kneeling position on the bed and look into his brown eyes.

He watches me, the smile slowly fading from his face. My answer is important to him.

"Everyone wears masks," I answer. "I wear masks too, especially when I'm scared or hurt. You just have a lot more of them. I'm guessing it's because you have the kingdom to protect."

"You didn't answer my question," he says in his calm soft voice.

"It doesn't bother me," I say. "Because you're being honest with me. I can tell when I look at you. And you're slowly telling me who you are, flaws and all. I'm really glad for that."

He frowns down at his lap. "I don't deserve you."

I shake my head and slip my arms over his shoulders and around his neck and hair. "Don't say that. You are the best man I know. So you and I have masks and flaws, so what? We'll work it out. Think of it this way, neither of us have experience in the bedroom either, but I'm sure that won't stop us from figuring out what to do."

Mo Ran stares at me. "What did you say? 'Neither of us'...you haven't..."

Oh no. "Did I just say that last part out loud?" I ask. I  glance over my shoulder at the bed we're sitting on. Oh man, I must have had one too many drinks. "Bad example. Maybe we should go back downstairs."

His large hands move under my arms to my back. "Not so fast."

"Why?" I can't stop looking at the stupid bed and the red cushions with the tassels.

He sees where I'm looking, closes his eyes and then opens them. "I need a moment to recover before we go downstairs."

"I don't think that's gonna happen in here," I point out. "Or with us this close together."

"I agree." He pulls me in and brushes my lips with his. One of his hands runs up my back to my shoulder and a welcome shiver runs down my spine.

"I wasn't saying that we needed to figure it all out right now." I say this small-voiced protest against his lips, so it's not very convincing.

He pauses, and tilts back to look at me. His eyes have gone dark. "Forgive me. I couldn't help myself. Your honesty always leaves me dazed...this time more than others."

I poke him in his broad shoulder and climb off the bed. I'm so embarrassed, and yeah, thrilled too. I hope he gets dazed again real soon. "Don't you dare tell anyone outside of this room what I said."

He rises in one fluid movement to tower over me. Mr Superior is back. "Why are you asking me that? You know I wouldn't."

I hide a tiny smile. He's right, I know he wouldn't.

We go to leave. I open the door, and find Minister Su standing on the other side. He's changed his clothes, and the saucy smile on his face is more pronounced than ever.

"Something we can help you with?" I ask. Yeah, I know; he was totally just listening at the door. Stinker.

"Nothing," he says, waving his fan at his exposed chest. "I was checking all is well."

He turns his back on us and sways down the hall like one of his dancing girls. I move to grab his ponytail, but Mo Ran tugs at the sleeve of my gown. He gives me a quick shake of his head. "I'll deal with him later," he whispers.

I sigh and let Doctor Dolittle go. If anyone can deal with him, it's Mo Ran. I let my very smart and handsome boyfriend guide me back downstairs.

The rest of the night is a bit of a haze. Yan Ran probably would have gotten better at dancing if it wasn't for the fact that she is no good at drinking. I then confess to Yan Ran that she is awesome and I love her like a sister, mainly because I'm no good at drinking. Somehow we all manage to muddle our way home.

I wake up with an evil headache and with someone spooning me. I peer over my shoulder and see it is a pale-faced Yan Ran who is all cuddled up to my back. I glance around and realise that we are asleep in Mo Ran's personal bathtub. At least it's empty of water.

"Did you sleep well?" Mo Ran appears at the door to the small wood-framed room. He walks over to me and takes a seat near the tub.

"Why am I here?" I ask. "Why are you in scary fighting gear?"

Mo Ran glances down at his sleek violet armour. The gold plates on his shoulders look like the mane of a lion. The sight, overall, is intimidating.

"Today is when I have set the final challenge for the Emperor," he says. "If he manages to succeed, then I will be relieved of my authority over the military and he will manage the affairs of the kingdom from now on."

I blink. "Sorry, my head hurts right now. Is it a good thing if he wins?"

He frowns and takes my hand. "For some."

"Oh." I sigh. He means that those born under my star sign may not be.

"I want you to know that no matter what happens today, I will protect you," Mo Ran says, covering my hand with both of his. "You have my word."

"Words!" Yan Ran moans with her eyes still closed. She shifts and knees me in the back. "Stop talking. I'm trying to sleep."

Mo Ran frowns at her. "I'm afraid you cannot sleep, Princess. You need to get ready for the final battle today, or the Emperor will be short one fighter."

"Noooooo." Yan Ran holds me tighter. "Fei Fei. Go in my place. I'm too sick."

I turn to stare at her. Her eyes are still closed. "Are you insane? I have no fighting skills!"

"You owe me," she murmurs. "I beg you, I feel like I'm going to die if I move." The colour drains from her face and lips. She covers and leans over the side of the tub to hurl. That's gotta hurt.

Mo Ran looks furious with her. He gives me a sharp look. "No. Don't even consider it. I'll find someone else to take her place."

But what else can I do? She's my friend, and I hurt her. I owe her.

Oh boy.