Chapter 5: Woo Hoo

Dandelion (Koi No Yokan Series - Book 1)

“Good morning!” Wheein greeted as she suddenly raised an eyebrow at the pair of dispirited women before her, “Or maybe not”. One could clearly hear Solar listening to Blood, Sweat and Tears by BTS – since that’s how loud she was listening to it - in a corner of the café, absentmindedly-folding tissues into origami. On the other hand, Moonbyul was sitting in her office with her door wide open and eyes fixed on her phone. Both were giving the vibrant café a somber mood, which Hwasa was not very welcoming of.

“You see? THIS is why we need to get fix them,” Hwasa barked, as Wheein sat before her, “Is everything ready?” She asked as Wheein nodded, giving her a thumbs up.

“You bet. We arrive there at six,” The blonde girl, replied as Hwasa suddenly placed a towel on her head and began to rub it from side to side, much to her surprise, “What are you up to?”.

“You always forget to dry your hair,” Hwasa deadpanned, as she finishes drying Wheein’s hair, “Also, you just wet my counter,” She added, pointing at the counter that had small drops of Wheein’s wet hair.

“You know me the best, Hyejin,” Wheein praised with a sheepish smile and a light blush in her cheeks. Hwasa – whose real name she rarely used – shrugged as she removed her hands from Wheein’s head.

“I’m just making sure you don’t die of pneumonia or something,” Hwasa said, staring at the droplets in the counter.

“Okay. I’ll take your word for it then,” Wheein said before standing up, “I’ll call you so we can arrange everything,” The petite added as she bid goodbye to her best friend before walking out the café.

“I saw that~” Hwasa groaned as she felt a sudden arm wrap around her shoulder, “So, cute of you, Hyejin~” Solar teased in a baby voice, much to Hwasa’s annoyance.

“What’s so cute about helping a friend?” Hwasa rebuked.

“That friends don’t just dry each other’s hair or look after them with such fondness~” Solar chirped as Hwasa rolled her eyes.

“Then is it the same with you and the boss?” Hwasa’s question made Solar’s teasing stop and stare at her, dumbfounded about her words.

“What…what do you mean?” Solar asked, but before Hwasa could say further, Moonbyul came out of her office. Hwasa her heels and walked away from the pair, claiming she had to go to the bathroom.

“You look tired,” Solar said as Moonbyul nodded, rubbing her eyes while sitting before her and the counter. Solar could easily tell just by Moonbyul’s face that the woman had not been sleeping well. There were dark prominent circles underneath her eyes that not even the heavy amount of make up she was wearing could cover fully.

“I haven’t been sleeping too well,” Moonbyul confessed, “I…I sort of need to talk to you”.

“Me? Uh, okay,” Solar said, suddenly feeling hesitant about what the black haired woman had to say.

Is it about Krystal? Solar’s eyes went wide as she realized what she was thinking. Was she worried about Krystal and Moonbyul dating? No. She was not.

Moonbyul is my friend…and I’m happy for her if she wants to date Krystal. Solar smiled a bit as she praised herself for correcting that awful thought.

“Woozi and I talked a few days back,” Moonbyul began saying as Solar unconsciously felt a sudden feeling of relief, which she quickly ignored.

“Oh! That’s cool. What did you guys talk about?” Solar asked.

Moonbyul sighed as she recalled the night Woozi had asked her to stay and talk to him. It had definitely not been anything she would have ever expected.

 

************

 

“S-so, you live with her?” Moonbyul asked as she sat before a crossed legged Woozi. The medium sized living room was barely illuminated since Woozi only had the white lamp – which gave a rather dim light - beside him.

“For now,” The boy replied in a somber voice, much to Moonbyul’s surprise.

“What?” Moonbyul asked as Woozi looked up from his hands to her, an unreadable expression in his eyes.

“You’re her soulmate. I’m not,” Moonbyul felt a sudden dizziness as she tried to assimilate Woozi’s words that felt like someone had just thrown her into the sea. Suffocating.

“Y-you knew?” She stammered, gripping on to her wrist a bit too tightly, “Then…why?”. Woozi kept his eyes on Moonbyul’s face before finally glancing down to his feet.

“I didn’t want to be alone…” The boy explained in a soft voice, but Moonbyul’s expression remained dumbfounded.

“How can you? I mean, you’re her soulmate too, right?” At this, Woozi looked up…and Moonbyul regretted every word she had said right then.

“…I’m…I…” Woozi tried to speak, but his voice became smaller and smaller as his eyes filled with tears. He curled up in a ball and cried silently, much to Moonbyul’s bewilderment.

Why was he crying? Did I do something wrong? What is he trying to tell me with this?

Moonbyul’s mind seemed to not be able to comprehend what exactly was going on.

“Hey, hey,” Moonbyul began saying as she kneed before Woozi’s small figure, “I-I don’t know what’s going on with you or Solar,” Moonbyul began saying as she noticed Woozi’s teary eyes staring at her, “But I don’t want to have a bad relationship with Solar’s other soulmate. We love her, don’t we? Then we should both take care of her. Maybe not in the same way, but we should still protect and love her, just like she does for us”. Moonbyul gave the younger boy a smile as she patted his head in a comforting manner.

“…You’re too kind…” Woozi whispered as Moonbyul nodded.

“I’ve been told”.

 

************

 

“Uh…just getting to know each other. Nothing to worry about,” Moonbyul lied as it was a conversation she would rather keep between Woozi and her, after all.

“You sure? Moonbyul, if he said something uncomfortable, you can tell me,” Solar assured, unconsciously holding onto Moonbyul’s hand.

“N-no, no, no! It was nothing, for real!” Moonbyul hurriedly said, as she glanced down at Solar’s hand. The soft tingling on the top of her hand, a familiar touch radiating warmness…it wasn’t that she couldn’t move, but rather that she didn’t want to move.

“I’ll believe you then,” Solar said with a smile, which soon became a frown as she noticed Moonbyul’s blank expression, “Are you okay?”.

“What? Oh, ah…yeah, yeah,” Moonbyul mumbled as she managed to pull her hand away, much to Solar’s puzzlement.

Did she not like that I held her hand? That’s weird, Moonbyul usually doesn’t mind. Solar thought, yet her train of thoughts was cut short when Hwasa walked up to them.

“I’ve got these for us. Let’s go this weekend,” Hwasa said smoothly as she handed the tickets to her friends.

Decalcomanie Park? Isn’t that where Wheein works?” Solar asked as she recalled Wheein talking about her job a few days back. Neither Solar nor Moonbyul had ever been there, but Hwasa – who had gone multiple times – had claimed it to be something out of this world.

“Yep. Wheein got me those tickets to go to her show,” Hwasa lied a bit since her plan needed to go smoothly and honestly, telling her main targets that she had bought it for them wasn’t the best approach.

“That’s cool. We should go then,” Moonbyul said as she turned to Solar, who turned to look at her with a bright smile.

“Yeah. Let’s go!” Solar chirped. She couldn’t hide her excitement at the thought of going to such a magical and nostalgic place.

 

************

 

“Well, F**k,” Hwasa cursed as she noticed Solar and Moonbyul arrive…with Woozi and Krystal, that is. Saturday had come by rather quickly and the three of them had agreed to meet in front the said amusement park. Hwasa’s master plan had gone downhill, as the two girls seemed to not have wanted to come alone.

“Nice place,” Krystal praised as Moonbyul nodded in agreement.

“Yeah. Pretty. Woo Hoo. So, Unnies come here,” Hwasa deadpanned as she pulled Solar and Moonbyul away from the uninvited guests, “Why did you bring them? It was suppose to be just the three of us. I got no more tickets, you know,” She complained as Solar and Moonbyul exchanged perplexed glances before turning back to their frustrated youngest.

“It’s fine. Woozi bought his ticket yesterday,” Solar assured.

“And Krystal had like some life-time tickets from different parks due to her parents,” Moonbyul explained briefly.

“That’s not what I meant!” Hwasa barked, but before she could complain further, a pair of wet hands fell on her shoulder.

“Aish! Wheein, my shirt!” Hwasa snapped as Wheein simply laughed. He hair was hidden under a vibrant red cap that read “GUIDE” while she wore a simple white shirt and a knee length jean.

“Come on! You’re probably going to end up getting wet anyway,” Wheein chirped as she greeted her Unnies with a smile.

“Wheein, you’re all wet! Where are the towels? I need a towel for this child!” Solar panicked as Wheein simply laughed at her.

“It’s fine, Unnie. In this heat, being wet is not a problem,” Wheein assured as she noticed Krystal and Woozi staring at them, “Uh…should I ask?” She added as Hwasa quickly shook her head.

“Okay...” Wheein said as she signaled Woozi and Krystal to come closer, “Hello, my name is Wheein and I’m part of the Starry Night act. I’ll be your guide for the day until night. So, let’s enjoy today, okay?” The blonde woman chirped, bringing smiles to everyone’s faces…well, except a certain Hwasa who was just trying to figure out a way to get her plan back on track. She was not one to give up, after all.