Chapter 16

It's Complicated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chanyeol's POV

Hearing the short quick raps on the door which signalled Jongin’s arrival, I quickly rise from the floor where I had been slouching against the sofa quietly replaying the events that transpired in the morning to find out exactly where everything went wrong.

 

“Woah, you look like dude. I thought you were exaggerating but damn I was wrong. You didn’t even bother getting dressed up. If you haven’t realised, it’s midday dude. You’re still in your ratty pajamas.”

“Are you coming in or are you just going to keep standing there? ‘Cause I’m this close to closing the door in your face.”

“I would come in if you would get your grumpy out of the way. So what did you do?”

“Seriously? First Joohyun and now you….”

“Joohyun was here?”

“Yeah she dropped in earlier to check up on me...it wasn’t pretty Jong”

“I guessed that much. You’re not exactly in the best shape and it’s not easy to deal with crabby Chanyeol”

“In my defense, I had a hell of a day already so I told her about what happened and somehow I just missed having another fight by the skin of my teeth. I guess I was a little more preoccupied with the Wendy situation than I thought and it ended in our usual argument about her being my best friend. I just don’t get it. We’ve been over this multiple times...”

“Ok, so the usual happened with Joohyun. Sure, that probably needs fixing, but I’m guessing that you didn’t call me all the way over here in the middle of the day for that. So, what’s the Wendy situation. What did you do?”

“See, why does everyone always assume that I did something?”

“Well we usually judge it based on your track record, the fact that you’re a buffoon most of the time and the fact that Wendy is a saint that has put up with you all these years. Do you want me to keep going or are you good?”

“Alright, I got it. Ok I’ll admit that I ed up...and now I don’t know if I can fix it. What do I do, Jong?”

“Look, as your best friend I’ve witnessed the countless times you've ed up, especially when it comes to Wendy, and we’ve always managed to figure it out. First off, Wendy is one of the nicest and most patient person I’ve ever met so that is definitely a plus in our column. Second off, she’s always been weak when it comes to you. The amount of she’s let you get away with is honestly astounding. Last but not least, she is a er for those pastries from her favourite bakery. So, all you have to do is drive over to Busan, surprise her with the treats and add in like a stuffed toy. To top it all off, you should plead for mercy and hope for the best.”

“I don’t think that will be enough, Jong. She stormed off. She packed some bags and she’s staying with Seulgi. She didn’t even tell me when she’s coming back”

“Oh . She finally got tired of your .”

*           *          *

Jongin's POV

Chugging the last remnants of beer in my bottle to quench the burn in my throat after being held in a pretty strong chokehold, I felt satisfied at seeing Chanyeol holding an ice pack to his head after getting a few swings in. This was our routine. A boyhood ritual of ribbing each other, play fighting and then finally confiding in each other. People might call it stupid but it was our tradition. A tradition that was created when we first met 10 years ago

“Jongin, give it back! Our class is starting soon.”

“Wait, just let me see it. Are these lyrics? You write music?”

“They’re nothing. I was just doodling in class…”


Seeing her slightly flushed face as she jumped, clawed and generally failed to grasp the piece of scrap paper that I was holding well above her head, I couldn’t help grin at her desperately cute antics. I had first met Wendy at university orientation after an unfortunate collision resulting in mutually destroyed shirts from a now empty cup of iced coffee. After lending her my sweater so that she wouldn’t go around the campus in a damp and increasingly see-through top, I thought that would be the last time I’d see the girl with the tinkling laughter, crescent shaped eye-smile and small dimples as she brushed off the incident with an easy demeanour. It was safe to say that I had developed a little bit of a crush. So it was a pleasant surprise to see the same sweater, washed and folded, land on my desk at Intro to Business Management as I stared up at the girl that had been running through my mind for the past few days. After an awkward introduction, mostly due to my nervous stuttering and inability to make any eye-contact, we soon hit it off as we exchanged stories of childhood mishaps and high school shenanigans. Thanking the lucky stars for her best friends studying Bachelor of Arts courses which started a week later, practically forcing her to spend time with a shy and obviously-crushing guy, we settled into a routine of having morning coffee, lunch at the cafeteria and study sessions at the library. It wasn’t hard to fall for her charms and so here I was reverting back to childish flirting techniques equivalent to pulling a girl’s pigtails to get her attention and running away in the hopes that she would give chase.

 

“Is that so? Well then, you wouldn’t mind me keeping it then?”

“Fine, take it. It’s just a piece of scrap paper anyways.”

 

Showcasing the classic portrait of an upset girl with her pouting, sniffling and slightly hung head, it nearly tricked me into apologising and handing it over. The mischievous glint in her eyes was the only giveaway that prompted me to bait her into reaching for my outstretched hand which I quickly drew back behind me. One minute, I was enjoying the feel of her arms around me as she futilely reached for the paper that was behind my back, and the next, I was on the floor clutching my aching jaw.

 

“Oh my god! Chanyeol, what are you doing? Jongin, are you ok? I’m so sorry. We need to get you to the clinic so we can put ice on your jaw before it starts to swell. As for you Chanyeol, I will talk to you later. For now, help me with our bags so I can assist Jongin to get treated.”

 

Normally, I would’ve savoured the idea of being nursed by the girl I liked but it was hard to concentrate on anything but the pair of eyes that was currently burning holes in my back. In the hopes of reducing my chances of being murdered in my sleep, I tried not to show how much I was enjoying Wendy valiantly attempting to help me walk to the clinic by slinging my arms across her shoulders despite being a good 5 inches shorter than me. It became even harder as she insisted on helping me drink water by propping my head in her hands even though I could very easily sit up. For the most part, I was trying my hardest not to laugh at Chanyeol’s increasingly sour face as Wendy continued to fuss about me and I damn near broke as I overheard their conversation.

 

“What is your problem? It’s your first day here and you come in and punch a guy you’ve never even met.”

“He was toying with you. Making you jump and hug him for a piece of paper. What a . Why are you even defending him?”

“He’s my friend. We were just joking around and don’t act like you haven’t done that to me, you giant pain in my . Now, I’m going to have to explain and apologise for whatever the that was. He’s been the only person who’s been nice to me when I had no one this past week. I would like it if didn’t lose another friend because you’ve decided to act like an ”

“Why do you need more friends when you have me and Seulgi?”

“Are you kidding me! Can you hear yours

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter