VII.

Stages Of Wendy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Well… if it makes you feel any better I can join you in lectures and keep you company” Irene thought the gesture was kind but didn’t expect Wendy to keep the promise.

But Wendy kept the promise indeed.

-----

It was a new day, Joohyun and Joy took their seats, preparing for the lecture to start when all of a sudden none other than Wendy Son appears. The entire class is confused to see her as she has been very explicit on what she thinks of this lecturer in particular. Joohyun wondered about the girl’s presence...3,2,1. CHRIST!! She actually came for me. Not knowing whether to be flattered or worried, Joohyun went red.

“Seul told me that she got expelled from her first University, only after a couple of months. If it wasn’t for her high grades she probably wouldn’t be at SNU at all because of her bad reputation.” Joohyun processing all the information, Joy had given her.

“Why?”

“I don’t know specific reasons but I can only assume: slacking off, getting into fights, maybe even drugs. Who knows?”

Irene tried to pair the information with the girl she talked to the other day. Something didn’t add up. Sure, Wendy seemed hard core but really? Maybe I don’t know anything about her after all Joohyun thought. Even the more reason to get closer to her and maybe even try to help her.

The duo was then startled as Wendy started coming into their direction.

“Hi.”

“Hey.”

“Uh, I don’t think we’ve met before I’m Wendy.” She averted her gaze to Sooyoung and stuck out her hand.

“Hi, I’m Joy.”

“Could I maybe sit here?”

Irene’s heart jumped when she asked but Joy beat her to it with a reply.

“Sorry, I don’t think that’s a great idea. My girlfriend wouldn’t appreciate it.” Joy emphasised the word girlfriend.

Irene was mentally screaming. Wendy gave her a disappointed look, where her face read ‘really, she is your girlfriend?’ Irene soon realised Joy’s insinuation and quickly reassured Wendy.

“O-o, Joy is not my girlfriend. She’s dating Kang Seulgi in your year.”

“Oh yeah, I know Kang. She’s a solid gal, super nice”

“Yep, I know.” Joy seemed cold and annoyed at Wendy’s presence.

“O-ok. I’m guessing the seat it a no then?”

“Sorry, Wendy-ssi but I don’t think Seulgi would be happy with me if she found out The Wendy Son was with us in our lecture. Wouldn’t want people to get the wrong idea, you know?”

Disappointment struck Wendy’s face. Obviously Joy’s tone made Wendy feel super insecure about her lifestyle.

“Sorry, I u-understand.”

Joohyun quickly gave a death stare to Joy before whipping her head to the latter’s direction. “Wendy-ssi! Joy’s just being her over dramatic self, she wants to be an actress you know!” Trying to ease the situation. “Come sit next to me, Joy move one seat up if you are really that uncomfortable and don’t worry, I highly doubt Seul is going to make a big deal out of it.” But before Joy could protest, Wendy was already sat next to Irene.

As the lecture, went on Irene knew Wendy was uncomfortable after Joy’s comment. They sat in silence, awkwardness eating them up. She saw that look in Wendy’s eyes again… screw Joy if she doesn’t like her, I have to help this girl, she looks so miserable, being friends couldn’t hurt right?

When the lecture ended, the trio started to pack up and all three released a heavy sigh of relief. Seungwan, before leaving, whispered to Joohyun “Sorry I couldn’t be of much company today, I was kind of out of it. I promise I’ll make it up to you next time.” Joohyun’s heart leapt at the thought of a next time. Was Wendy going to sit with her every lecture now? Joy would just have to get used to it Irene thought.

As she saw Wendy walking away, Joy grumbled “What the Hyun? I don’t like her one bit. She gives me a bad vibe. What did we tell you about getting involved? You are asking for trouble.” Joy walked off.

Irene caught up to her best friend and Seulgi who had joined them when they exited the hall. “Seul, can you knock some sense into this girl, she let Wendy Son sit next to us today”

“What? Hyun, what did we tell you?”

Irene took two steps ahead of the couple and quickly swivelled on her heels, tuning to face both of them.

“Look, I understand you two are worried for me. But I’m not a baby, I can make my own decisions. Trust me, I have no interest in Wendy Son in any ual way. But…it’s just that I’ve noticed she doesn’t hang out with anybody; she always looks so lifeless, like she lacks human interaction.”

“Hun, she gets P.L.E.N.T.Y of human interaction.” Joy added.

“Not like that, I mean, she looks awfully lonely. I can't stand to see someone so solemn, I just want to get to know her and maybe give her a helping hand, if I hang out with her a little she might just change for the better.”

The couple looked at her dazed. “That’s a big IF Hyun. Wendy? Really, you saw what she’s like. What if she rejects your offer, hm? I don’t want to be pessimistic but you can’t change a girl honey. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter