05

Emissary

Contains swear words.

(Italic font text is memories.)


“Oh look it’s one of those dirty Wrath district freaks.” 


“D-93 must have felt sorry for those poor freaks.” 


Those harsh whispers kept on circling each place I stepped my foot in. I much rather had them physically hurt me, stab a knife to my skin than to hear those cold words. They never left me, emotional and mentally haunting me. Being from the Wrath district meant hearing such abusing whispers on repeat, like a broken record. We should have been used to it, at least I should have been but yet no matter how many times I heard it, I felt heartbroken. 


“Hey, heat freak why don’t you go back to your mud place?” More not-so-secret whispers sounded, my feet quickly taking me through the corridors. No more, I could not listen to those taunting words anymore. 


“Where are you going dirty freak? Show us why D-93 accepted your useless self!” More taunting laughter, and finger-pointing before I find myself locked in my room. Cradling myself in a dark corner as shameless tears decorated my cheeks, damping them. 


I have hoped for C21 to be different, for the stigma to go away. To prove that Wrath district could offer so much more than just a zoo touristic attraction to make fun of our people and culture. Wrath only had twenty families living in the district, slaving themselves to provide an export metal for the surrounding cities, including the new giant C21. None of us received any good pay, we were lucky to get invitational support from surrounding towns and smaller cities to ‘support us’ during circumcises of the war happening. However the reality was much different, they called us stupid but we knew better. They would leave us to starve, take all the metal and make us the scapegoats. Wrath was just a scorching hot zoo district.  


The tears continued to burst forth like water from a dam, rolling down my chin. I felt the muscles of my chin tremble as I hugged my frame closer. Those damned words kept circling in my mind, slowly bringing a migraine forward. 


2089-T to make their way down to the weapons training room in ten minutes.” A robotic voice announced through the sound speakers, my room lighting up with a virtual announcement display with my scheduled class. I needed to be strong, for Wrath district. 


X


“Look it’s that freak again, how did she get into our class?” I felt my teeth sink into my bottom lip, my feet standing tall and straight as I tried to keep my attention on our mentor proxy demonstrating the basics of assembling AK-47. Those whispers continued to surround my consciousness, my fingernails digging into my flesh, my eyesight becoming glossy as I tried to keep my tears in a bay. I could not let them see me cry, to see that they are succeeding at crumbling me. 


“Alright class, I’ll give you twenty minutes to practice how to assemble AK-47 before you will be allowed to practice your shooting at the targets.” The mentor proxy announced, earning a few groans from individuals standing beside me. No doubt, finding the part of learning how to assemble guns boring. 


I dragged my feet to the further corner, my hands holding AK-47, as my eyes fell onto the gun. It was hard to believe that I was holding something as dangerous as that, one wrong move, and I could cause damage. The pad of my fingers gently brushed across the cold metal as small goosebumps formed on my skin. I was slowly proving myself, proving that people front Wrath district aren’t some filthy savages. 


“Hey you stupid dirty freak, are you ignoring us?” I felt a harsh tug when someone’s hand pulled my hair. Another pushed me against the wall as my gun fell to the ground. I felt my breathing get stuck in my throat as I gazed up at the glare coming from a blonde-haired girl, joined by a purpled hair guy. 


“Did they not teach you how to talk freak?” The girl angrily asked me, acute pain seeping through my nerve endings as she continued to pull my hair.

“God she is so stupid, probably mute or something!” The girl stated, earning shameless laughter from the surrounding crowd. I felt my lip shake as my eyesight become watery, no doubt tears were already rolling down my face as I shivered. 


“You faces are so damn loud and annoying, can’t you let me take a nap for those twenty minutes?” A sigh sounded as people turned their attention to a guy resting his back against the wall. He had his arms wrapped around his chest as his jet black hair slightly felt into his eyes, his partly opened eyes glared daggers at us. The moment my eyes met his stare I felt breathless, it appeared as if time slowed down. My eyes raked his pale complexion, he was wearing simple ripped dark jeans and a black top, with a green bomber jacket thrown overhastily. Yet he looked so ironically angelic. 


“Oh look another one of those Wrath freaks, did you guys get stuck with us because nobody wanted to take you in?” The purple-haired guy hissed, earning another round of laughter. I felt sudden anger boil in my veins, how dare they mock us? Yet that guy seemed to have completely ignored his words and closed his eyes. I slipped down onto the floor as soon as they let me go, their attention fully turning onto the mysterious guy who seemed to have been asleep. Or at least trying to sleep while standing up.


“Are you ing sleeping? Did you just ignore me?” The purpled hair guy shouted, his long feet taking big strides over to the mysterious guy, his fist tightly clenched, and then his fist was being thrown at the guy. However before he could even hit the mysterious guy, the black-haired guy had him pinned against the floor with his foot. An AK-47 fully assembled in his hand, pressed against the guy’s forehead as gasped sounded from the audience. His movement was so quick that nobody could even pick up on how he managed to pin the guy so quickly. My eyes only picking on the last couple of seconds before the guy hit the floor, the jet-black-haired guy's movements were so fluent, he gripped onto his opponent’s shirt within moments and one simple blink would have missed everything. The mysterious guy no longer seemed sleepy as his eyelids were fully opened, his murderous eyes glaring at the pinned guy, as a small smirk decorated his lips.


“You’re annoying, I thought you might be somewhat a challenge since your mouth has been running nonstop for weeks now but it seems you’re one of those disappointments.” The mysterious guy concluded in an icy tone, his voice barely rising in audio but it was clear that it made everyone shiver. The guy’s index finger slowly pressed against the trigger, my mind finally realizing that the guy was serious about killing the purple-haired guy. The purple-haired guy’s eyes widened, his frame shaking, pleadings leaving his lips which seemed to have gone completely over the towering guy’s head. His finger fully pressed the trigger.


“Min Yoongi get off your fellow trainee proxy!”


X


My eyes snapped open, sweat drops rolling down my skin completely soaking me in as I try to control my hyperventilating breathing. A memory, dark useless memory. 


“Well good morning Proxy Ire, I was beginning to get slightly worried about you.” My eyes squinted as I tried to turn towards the source of the sound. Bright light irritates my red eyeballs, my body feeling heavy and sore. 


“Proxy Euphoria?” I questioned, the view of the room finally becoming clear as I notice a smiling handsome guy sitting in the corner. His golden blonde hair shone from the light, as he happily nodded. His fingers gently tap onto the surface of the table, as I pull myself into a sitting position with my elbows. Groaning in pain when my body sends me a sharp displeased sensation down my nerve endings. 


“Take it easy, you did have Proxy Siren’s aptitude running through your body. As your assigned doctor I advise you to rest a bit longer.” Proxy Euphoria concluded, his feet slowly pulling him up as he carefully makes his way over to me.


“Well Doc, I am telling you to get lost before I will shove my boot up your .” I annoyingly groaned, tugging my blanket off before swinging my legs over my bed. As soon as my feet met the floor electrical impulses descended my body, my shaking feet dragging me back down to the ground.


“Still as terrifying as Proxy Enmity I see.”


“Get lost, if you aren’t helping me then you aren’t needed here Seokjin.” I hissed in anger, gripping onto the bed to pull myself up again. It was so damn insulting to be the damsel in distress, my body completely giving up on me as I saw Euphoria’s lips lifting slighting, a self-satisfying grin apparent. 


“You know you can always ask nicely, I thought we were friends?” He teasingly hummed, his hands gently brushing against my shoulders. My hands instantly hit his arms away. I did not need his help, I did not need their help.


“So did I, until you all betrayed me.” I felt slightly better when I saw that grin disappear from his face, his pitiful eyes examining me. 


“Jinmi…” Euphoria’s soft voice was like a warm safety blanket that surrounded me, and for a second I felt self-get in into his empty wordless promises that it is going to be alright. His dark eyes flashed blue as he pulled my chin forward gently with his fingers, my eyes falling into his heartfelt gaze. My body felt light, no longer did I feel any pain as he continued to keep my attention. My fingers slowly intertwined with his resting ones before I tightly squeezed his hand, his bones crushing slightly. His other hand let my chin go with a loud yelp escaping his lips. Seokjin eyes turned back to his natural colour as he was wincing in pain. 


“Jesus Jinmi do you want to break my fingers?” Proxy Euphoria jeered while shaking his fingers. Laughter sounded as I turned my head to the source of the obnoxious laughter, my eyes meeting Proxy Exultant’s resting frame. 


“That was cute Seokjin, I always love the hypnotising trick that you do to your patients.” Exultant concluded happily, his hands clapping as his laughter continued to sound. 


“It’s called spiritual healing Hoseok, I am not hypnotising anyone. That is not my aptitude.” 


“Ah, right I forgot Proxy Euphoria. Maybe.” 


“Can you both get the hell out of here before I will throw you out?” I murmured furiously, finally managing to pull myself up. Surprising feeling much better, as if all the heavyweight was taken off my body. My feet no longer shaking as I stand straight, my eyes scanning the room for any AI healers but to no surprise, I was given to Euphoria to be taken care of. 


“Aw, you’re no fun Ire. Here I thought we could hang out like we used to.” Exultant shook his index finger at me, an annoying grin present on his lips as he stepped over to us. I was starting to miss Mark and that was a miracle itself. 


“Go and eat Hoseok.” 


“Are you coming with me Jinmi? Is that our bonding time?”


“Seokjin get his annoying out of here before you will have another patient!”


X


“You’re looking like a living dead, rather than just a corpse.” Mark greeted me, uninvited taking a seat next to me in the cafeteria. Everyone’s eyes continued not to secretly stare at me as I tried to eat something. It was the same, nothing changed. I was still the main attraction in this zoo.

 
“Hilarious, I loved your puny joke. You are almost as annoying as your Captain, congratulations.” 


Mark gripped onto his shirt in an overly dramatic manner, earning even more attention from the audience as he faked being in physical pain.“Almost? I feel insulted, I thought I was better by now?” 


I rolled my eyes at his dramatic ways, he was a more stupid and younger version of his Captain, and it was slightly scary. “Mark, why don’t you go and count up to a million while I will try to get some peace? Sounds great right?”


“I don’t know Proxy Ire, you did break my nose yesterday. Doesn’t seem fair that I let you off so easily.” 


I threw my food into the trashcan, sighing as Mark continued to follow me around like a lost puppy. “I should have broken your neck instead. How about I will take over Proxy Enmity's job of killing you off?” 


“You both are no fun.” 


I ignored his words, turning my attention to a group of rookie proxies approaching us. I figured that I would be called in for ‘questioning; sooner or later, however, it was absurd to see ten rookies being sent for the job. 


“Kim Jinmi you are under arrest for -”


“Wait, before you boys and girls go off on one, can I ask whose division are you under?” I questioned out of boredom, signaling for them to answer. 


“Captian Enmity…” A braver female rookie proxy stepped up, earning a snort coming from Mark’s lips. I was glad to see that I wasn’t the only one who thought this situation was hysterical. It was more insulting to see him sending rookies over than him being a lazy . I much rather had his advanced proxies. 


“Well can you tell your Captain to go and do one? Unfortunately, I can’t help him.” 


“Ma'am we have been ordered to arrest you.”


“Sweetheart, what is your name?” I dismissed her words completely, gently placing my palm on her shoulder as she visibly flinched, making other rookies grip onto their electrical batons. It was even funnier to see that they thought they had a chance with their choice of weapons. 


“Um, Lily Ma'am?” The blue-haired girl meekly answered, from the corner of my eyes I saw Mark sit in a chair, tapping a virtual screen for an order or something. He better be ordering a shot of something for me too or he will be beaten. 


“Well Lily, you seem like you have some screws in your head unlike your Captain, so can you do a favour and tell him to go and die? Thanks in advance, kid.” I gently tapped her shoulder, before turning my back to her, my path getting surrounded by the other rookies. I bit onto the insides of my cheek, groaning in irritation. I had to give it to them. They were scared but followed ordered well, however it was a mistake to think that Enmity was scarier. 


“Ma'am I can’t do that.” 


In the frozen second between the stand-off before the fight, I saw their eyes flicker from each other to me. Their thoughts were visible on their faces, fear, and worry. The corner of my lips lifting slightly, a smirk forming as I look over the shoulder of one of the rookies, AI bringing a whole bottle of whiskey to Mark. His eyes fell on me as he gave me a quick wave, pouring into two glasses with prepared ice. He was annoying but he knew damn well how to get his way. 


My face was unreadable as in an instant they flew at me. They expected to have an upper hand with it being ten against one, it was stupid to be doing this here in D-93. But Enmity was the biggest idiot out there. 


In seconds with an agile movement far too fast, two of the rookies were staggering backward into Mark’s table, Mark quickly grabbing the drink as he stepped away. Not without shouting a swear word as he spilled some of the drink as he was too slow. My right leg shot out into one of the rookie proxies ’ abdomen, as one of the braver ones landed on my back to be dropped abruptly with a loud painful groan. I executed a fast somersault, shaking myself free from any grasp, before butting my head into the stomach of another proxy. Their movements were slow and sloppy, there was no need to use any of time aptitude as they felt down like flies. 


I felt a sharp sting from someone’s grip before I was pinned down onto a table, familiar jet-black eyes staring at me. Mark gasped in a late overdramatic manner as he was finishing his bottle, surrounded by other spectators. That


“You did well division, assemble and go to the infirmary room. I’ll take care of Proxy Ire myself.” Proxy Enmity directed, earning tired groans and moans from his rookies as they tried to pick themselves and their team-up. 


“Your team is , aren’t you embarrassed?” I teased, slowly trying to get my hands out of his iron grip. His attention turned back to me, his deadly eyes eating me up whole as all I can do is shamelessly nervously swallow my saliva. His eyes were burning me alive and I felt annoyed. Why did he still have such a big effect on me?


“You just seem to have passed the kindergarten level, I should have sent elementary level rookies for you.” Enmity bitterly susurrated, and just like that my momentary fascination was gone. He was the one who tried to kill me. He is Proxy Enmity. Anger was seeking in, the rage was destructive. It consumed all my thinking as I lashed at him, my legs kicking him as I try to get him off me. However his grip only becomes tighter before he had me slumped over his shoulder, it seemed as if I was a little child. I was burning with anger and embarrassment as he dragged me. 


“Hot!” Slightly sober Mark called out, earning himself a smack over his head from his Captain. 


“You said you can’t afford to buy me a drink and yet you are drinking in a broad daylight? Jesus, what did I do to deserve you as my proxy.” Proxy Exultant sighed, as Proxy Euphoria ordered people out of the cafeteria. They all were taking me for a stupid rookie. 


I forced my aptitude out, time slowing down completely as I examined proxy Enmity for any weakness, his face was completely open for a nice kick. So with all my mastered strength, I aimed my leg directed at his face, smashing his jaw as his hold off me loosened, enough for me to try again but to my surprise, he dodged my second kick, blood pooling in his mouth from my previous kick. How was it possible? He should be unable to catch any of it, I was the one with time aptitude. 


Before I could even figure this out, Enmity had dropped me onto the ground. His fist slammed into my stomach as I gaggled onto my blood. I tried to catch my breath as he looked down at me, my eyes picking on orange hair standing next to him. 


“Proxy Ornate.” It made sense, they all joined together to weaken my time aptitude. 


“Can you two do this later? Proxy Enmity you have been given orders to question Proxy Ire.” Lore hurriedly concluded, earning a pained groan from Enmity as his jaw slacked. 


“She broke my jaw!”


“You broke my ribs you !” I hurried counterattacked, only making the pain worse as my hated companions laughed.


“You two never change, Proxy Euphoria will fix you two up, right?” Lore sighted through all the laughter.

 
If I was still alive while being in D-93, it only meant that the game was changing. And maybe by playing Alpha Arcadia, this might become my winning hand against both Min Yoongi and Commander Heinous. 


“No, those two are too much trouble.”