03

Emissary

Contains swear-words.


“What the hell happened out there?” Rose’s high-pitched voice rang across the empty fields as she questioned me. I should not have been surprised by her reaction but I was. I felt my face blank with confusion, my brain cogs not being able to turn fast enough to take in her question. It was common sense that Rose would ask about the situation but it was something that should have been avoided. I saw Rose, cross her arms over her chest, her eyebrows frowning as her hot gaze stares straight at me. 


“Nothing Rosie, we just had a misunderstanding but as you can see I am fine now.” I brushed her concern off, taking a few steps forward to try and take myself out of the firing zone of her questioning. Rose could be very daft, but today she was dedicated. Again a quality trait if she was a junior under my watch, but she was not and I was tired of everything. 


“Why would some stupid proxies want to take you in for questioning?” Rose pushed again, her steps echoing behind me in a great rhythm. She was running towards me and I had to stop myself from accidentally hurting her due to my oversensitive reflexes. Her soft fingers tugged onto my shirt once she gets close enough, and I sighed.


“Rose I told you it’s nothing, they got the wrong person and now they let me go.” I turned my attention to her, my teeth sinking into my bottom lip when I was greeted by her worried state.


Anxious was written all over Rose as her tearless eyes began to take on a gloss of tears. Her fingers nervously tapped against her forearms as she mumbled out a question. “Are you o-okay?” The realisation of how old she was hit me again with a great force, I was not much older but our experiences in life were greatly different and this broken rich spoiled girl, who would never admit how important AI Choi and I was, now silently was crying out of fear for me. I should have been unmoved, I was out for revenge but that sincere gesture made my heart flutter. And just like that, I suddenly began to hate myself even more. 


I wanted to go back to being ignorant Proxy Ire who thought that the division was everything. However Proxy Enmity had other plans for me, and my mind needed to be clear of all of it. No more past. Hate for both of us coloured our souls, our intertwined souls. He could have been everything to me but yet he picked D-93. They all picked the division. 


“H-Hana?” Rose questioned, her bottom lip trembling as tears were seeping into her eyes. I felt my arms wrap themselves around her frame in an automatic response, my fingers gently brushing her soft hair as she silently weeps into my embrace. Just for that moment, I was willing to let myself comfort her, she was innocent of the war approaching me and Enmity. 


“Y-You’re right, I would be so damn lost without you and AI Choi.” I needed to get my priorities right, but this weeping girl was making it slightly complicated. I shook my head, no more thoughts. Just for tonight, the investment needed to be made. I ruffled her hair with my slender cold fingers, her frame straightening up as she towers over me, her lips forming into a childish pout as her red nose glisters, her makeup no longer perfectly intact. 


“I’m still mad at you, you just left me. Next time if you will ever do that again I am so firing you!” I felt a chuckle escape my throat. Model Rose was back and her employee was in trouble. I brushed a few strands of her hair away from her face before silently leaving her. This was a one-off. I begged myself to believe in that. 


X


“That concludes our photoshoot, expect the photos to be released by the end of the week!” Director Susan established as photographer Jinri thanked everyone for their amazing work and effort. Two days of the photoshoot was making my mind fry with uneasy thoughts as my work was limited. No more proxies were approaching me and that made me confused. Just what was Enmity planning? Surely higher-ups were pushing him to get the job done that he failed multiple times, yet there were no arrest warnings conducted for Min Hana only Proxy Ire/ Kim Jinmi. So why?

 
“Thank you, everyone, for taking care of me!” Rose shouted as she happily shook everyone’s outreached palms. Rose was certainly able to put on her professional façade. I noticed James' gaze fall on me from the corner of my eyes, my body completely ignoring his stupid curiosity. I needed to figure out what sort of game Enmity was playing, I hated feeling as if I was one step behind. I should be ten steps in front. Yet it seemed to not have gone the way I wanted it to go, so it meant that Enmity was still as good. That


“I’m surprised that they let you go so quickly.” I heard James whisper, his breath brushing against my skin. I followed Rose’s movements with my eyes, she seemed to have been in her little world as she happily assisted the staff. My attention finally accepted James' presence with much distaste. 


“Really? And why would they have held me there longer?” I challenged him, my voice barely above a whisper but yet I saw him visibly flinch due to the intensity. So James wasn’t so strong like he was acting to be.

“Don’t know but you seem untrustworthy, I was sure they would find some dirt on you.” He hissed at me angrily, his fingers intertwining my wrist with a harsh force as he pulled me closer. 


“Leave Rose out of whatever you are doing. I do not trust you and that is final.” A scoff sounded as I shook his grip off me. I had to stop myself from punching his face, his annoying self was irritating the living hell out of me. He will be the third one to get my bullet, it was set.


“ you, James.”  


“What are you two up to?” Rose questioned us as soon as she appeared. James turned his frown into a fake smile as he gently ruffled Rose’s hair. “I was telling Hana that I will be coming with you to C21. I have no other commitments here so I’m finally on a vacation.” 


I raised my eyebrows at him as he easily lied through his teeth, and the uneasiness of him being associated with Enmity crossed my mind. Enmity was a perfect strategist, a bit rash compared to Lore but still on a class of his own. He was the second one in charge of our ‘all-star’ special force division (as Exultant named us) the most lethal class of it all. Enmity was truly my biggest challenge, and if he was somehow linked with James…I was stupid to think otherwise. 


“Oh no, now I really won’t get any peace or quiet,” Rose whined playfully, her arm snaking itself around James' waist as he teasingly pulled her hair.

“Oh admit it my beautiful Rose that you missed me.” I rolled my eyes at both of them turning my back to them, AI Choi approaching us with a few packed bags. I needed to help with packing. 


“Ew no, why would I miss you after you made me suffer so much?” 


“Oh get over it, that car is not that bad. We’re heading back to C21 with it so you better get ready.” I saw all colour leave Rose’s face as James mentioned our Land Rover Discovery, my lips lifted into a smirk as I left to go and pack. 


X


‘Warning, you have all been ordered by D-93 not to leave your houses past nine pm.’


‘Breaking News, ex-proxy Ire has been found as being alive.’


‘Warning, 5ft 3 dangerous criminal named Kim Jinmi who also goes by the name of Ire has been issued an arrest warning.’


 ‘Any information given on Ire’s ware bouts will be rewarded. Please contact your local protector or D-93 directly.’


“Guess nothing changed, they are still looking for that criminal.” Rose sighed as she dragged her tired feet to the guard station. West gate was just a few steps away from us as we queued in line to show our IDs. The announcements continue to flash around as the transmitted voice sounded, over the speakers. There were a lot of protectors surrounding the entrance to C21 than usual and I was beginning to get slightly agitated. They could all jump me straight away and I would have to defend myself. I was not scared slight excitement was invading my veins with the idea of getting to finally let loose but it was against my plan. Enmity was planning something big, and this seemed minor. 


A fly-ship flew past us, followed by another twenty as people surrounding us began to panic. It was unusual that combat-ready fly-ships fly by in such a hurry. Sure we had lots of fly-ships, usually, if it was combat-ready it was A653 maybe the slightly newer version of A654 but never AA8, and that only meant that Alpha Arcadia the ‘All-Star’ special division was on board. Whatever was happening outside was panicking D-93 greatly, Alpha Arcadia was formed on a very special occasion. The most powerful team, there were quite a few special divisions but nothing like Alpha Arcadia. 


“Please stay calm everyone, we are shutting our guard points for the time being.” A young protector announced, followed by an air sired and virtual announcements. 


‘You are ordered to take cover.’


‘Please follow your local protector or a proxy to a safe place.’


‘Warning! C21 is being targeted please take cover.’


“What is going on?” James questioned a protector that was trying to get people to move. Rose was being shoved by a panicked crowd as AI Choi was trying to get Rose away from danger. We were surrounded by protectors who tried to point us at an underground shelter. I knew the procedure, protocol of 'barrier' but before I could lead them away I was being pulled away by one of the protectors. 


“Let me go, I need to be with my family,” I shouted, trying to twist my wrist out of his grip but he was strong. He could as well be a rookie proxy with the strength that he possessed. He was pulling me towards the West gate as everyone else was ushered away. They could not let them die like some useless sacrifices, but the protectors were only able to direct a few people to the shelter before another warning was issued, and a barrier was being formed over C21.

 
‘WARNING, TAKE COVER NOW!’


“Let me go you piece of ,” I screamed in anger. I needed to get Rose out of there, she was unprotected in the middle of freaking out crowd. The protector tried to get me to cooperate with his pleading voice but I was long gone. I was blinded by a bitter rage as my view of Rose disappeared. No! 


More air-raid sirens broadcasted as any other announcements got shut down. C21 shut down its power in hopes to get unnoticed by the attackers. The LED-Light City was baking in complete darkness. It was a completely terrifying sight to see, a city that never was in the dark. But somebody was about to airstrike us. That was clear. Alpha Arcadia did not manage to get rid of them all in time. Class 26: Mass form evacuation will only happen in extreme cases, D-93 can deal with everything and anything. How ironic. 


I could have only hoped that Rose either got to the shelter or AI Choi had been able to activate her safe evacuation protocol and guard her. James was clueless and I was pissed at that, was he not a proxy? 


“Come on Ma'am please follow me. We need you.” The protector urged as I went to punch him in the face but before my fist could reach his face a hand intercepted.

My breathing hitched as I was faced with Proxy Heinous two. “Lilith” I hissed in rage as her red lips smirked at me, her red acrylic nails scratching my wrist, the sharp acute pain spread in my wrist but I ignored it completely as my jet black eyes burned her. What was she doing here?


“Proxy Ire.” She sarcastically hummed, her other palm mockingly saluting me.

“You have some nerve to show your face in front of me. What Enmity got bored of you like he gets bored of everyone?” I susurrated with lots of venoms, her smirk dropping off her lips and I felt a slight triumph. 


“We don’t have time for this.” Proxy Heinous concluded, the protector swallowing his nervous saliva as his eyes darted from my frame to Lilith’s and vice versa. 


“I disagree, we have plenty of time to catch up. It seems that you still didn’t manage to get your spot in Alpha Arcadia even with a missing place. Oh, and how could I ever forget? being the beloved daughter of our great commander surely meant that you should be with AA8 now?” I saw her hand drop, a tight fist being formed as she inhaled a sharp intake of oxygen. Her eyes dropped down onto the ground almost in a submissive manner as she let go of my wrist, it was obvious that she was struggling to lower herself down but I was enjoying every bit of it.

“We are under attack.”


“Right, and that is my problem because?”


“Because we messed up and we need your skill. Alpha Arcadia our out of the picture for the time being. Our commander is out there too, so I am the one in charge.”

It was like music to my ears, her admitting that D-93 messed up brought so much joy. I felt like a kid during Christmas. Happiness at that very moment was so intense, it was as if I could have had the whole place bombed and I would still feel damn good about the situation. Sadistic, probably right. But damn satisfying. 


“But I am dead, what does it have to do with me?” I saw her jaw shake in anger, her eyes still on her feet in a submissive manner. She hasn’t even said it yet but it was obvious that I was her superior. This was coming into a play a lot better than I could have ever predicted. 


“C21 needs you. D-93 needs you, oh for the love of D-93 just hurry up. I will get down on my knees and beg for your forgiveness later, the whole place is a mess, and trainees and rookies are freaking out.” 


X


 “How many fly-ships are attacking us?” I commanded as soon as I stepped into the communication centre, Mark almost falling off his chair when he saw me.

“JESUS! What the hell is she doing here?” He questioned, earning jeers from the other Proxies as they focused on trying to keep the barrier up. 


“It’s Commander Ire now to you but I am flattered that you find me so important,” I answered back without much care, somebody throwing over virtual proxy oracle glasses to me as I kick Mark’s floating chair out of the way. Mark falls onto his with a loud hiss, before his sharp glares are directed at the back of my head. 


“Get me in contact with Proxy Enmity now!” I instructed, my fingers tapping the virtual touch screen as I was examining all probabilities. 


“Are you sure?” Mark questioned, finally getting his lazy self-up from the floor and pulling up stats on the advanced new proxies for me to glance at. I briefly flashed my eyes at the recruits before pointing my index finger at Proxy Heinous who was instructing some of the rookies, signaling for her to come over.


“Have I ever repeated myself, Mark?” I hissed at the guy next to me, his scarlet red hair falling into his eyes as he rushed to contact Enmity. 


“You only have been here for like three minutes tops and we all are already pissing ourselves in fear. Thank God Enmity is not here or else we would have been beaten by both of your dominating asses.” I heard Mark complain to a new Proxy that I have never met before. 


“What was that Mark?” I questioned, earning a rushed fearful reply of Proxy Enmity being online instead. Good.


Min Yoongi.” I hissed as his face appeared on my virtual screen. I felt time slow down as his dark irises raked my appearance in. His lips presented a sadistic smirk as he not so secretly checked me out. His eyes stopped at the specific place where my gun wound was. My breath hitched as I felt the adrenaline rush its course. It was a whole year since I last laid my eyes on him, and yet he still was the same. His jet black hair fell nicely on his forehead, he was wearing his favourite black combat leather jacket and that made my heart get squeezed. It was as if nothing ever happened but I knew better. We all did.

Min Yoongi was still as attractive and demanding as ever. His presence alone made the whole room get quiet, and yet it was only a stupid image. He was once my Min Yoongi but now an image of Proxy Enmity only greeted me. His blood will be on my hands soon enough. My inner self-hissed over and over again.


“What do you want?” His low voice trailed shivers down my spine, I hated to admit but they were pleasant ones. His eyes felt on my hair, a teasing smile creeping upon his lips as he was no doubt laughing at my hair colour choice. That . Red looks damned good on me and he knew it.


“Which one of you useless proxies decided to fly out of D-93 and only leave even more useless little Proxy Heinous in charge?” I questioned, everyone’s eyes falling on me as Yoongi glared at my frame. No longer had his lips present that smirk. Not as if I was specifically staring at them. But it was obvious. It was satisfying to already be pushing his buttons. I saw Proxy Lore calmingly approaching the screen, someone’s giggles sounding in the background.


 “That would have been me, Ire.” He said in a light-hearted manner, Enmity groaning under his breath as he tried to regain attention.


“I'm not even surprised, but I feel the need to tell you that you are an idiot Proxy Lore, best strategist my .” I returned his light-hearted attitude, Heinous approaching me in a hurry, my index finger quickly pointing at the weapon screen for her to see.


“Thanks, Ire, guess I am glad to see that you are alive.” He said, Enmity’s jaw tightening as he continued to send me glares. After all, I was speaking disrespectfully against the team leader. I had the sudden urge to mess around, even more, but the urgency coming from Proxy Heinous whispers brought me back to reality. I was leading the show and C21 was under a big attack. I should not have cared but it was something that I could use for the future. I concluded hurriedly.


“We are being attacked by 50 fly-ships that you the ‘all-star’ team seemed to have missed. So thank you for that, and oh you have left me maybe two good proxies, and rest stupid rookies and trainees so I feel the need to again point out that you are an idiot.” I concluded, earning a ‘Not True’ from Mark who got silenced by my floating chair being thrown in his direction with so much force that I doubted he did not get injured if he was too slow to dodge. Scratch that, we only had now maybe one good proxy.


“I’m sure Yoongi finds this a huge turn on watching you man-handle everyone but can we get to the point?” Proxy Exultant interrupted, which only made Enmity punch him in his gut without any remorse. I saw life flash through Exulant’s eyes as he gripped onto his stomach, mumbling curse words at Enmity. That punch made me shiver just thinking about the pain. Enmity eyes gleamed in the light as his tongue brushed the corner of his lips, his gaze directing at me. It was as if he was enjoying this, sending me a warning.


“I need you to stop more fly-ships getting here, as well as to get rid of as many as you can while I try to focus my aptitude,” I said, my attention turning away from their virtual screen as I focus on the barrier statistics, 55 percent damage and raising, we had about 50 minutes until the barrier will completely give in, maybe even less if the blast gets stronger. That meant I had to be running my full aptitude by 30 minutes tops. Time was ticking. Ironically. 


“Going back in time won’t solve the problem, plus you aren’t that skilled to be able to achieve that.” Enmity said, 


“It will, then you can try to act all clever and solve the problem of who was attacking and why yourself. Oh and you Min Yoongi.” 


“Can you do that Proxy Ire?” I felt my gut drop at the sight of Commander Heinous's face, my breath got stuck as hatred seemed to invade my body cells. I was surprised that I managed to contain my anger, I was so close to shaking in anger. He was the one who ordered for me to get killed and yet here we were, as usual, they relied on my help. Perhaps that was why he feared me becoming too in control. Who knows? But the fact was clear, He ordered Enmity and he thought he succeeded. I felt my fists clenched as he simply smiled at me one of his fake smiles. He was the biggest snake. My eyes darted away from his intense gaze as I tried to look for Enmity on my screen, only not seeing him there.


“For you? Never, but if maybe Proxy Enmity will ask me nicely I will think about it.” I flashed him one of my fake smiles, it never reaching my eyes as he simply chuckled. I was surprised to hear my voice sounding so harsh, if it was my old self I would have been shaken up. 


“Well, Proxy Enmity better ask you nicely, go on Min Yoongi.” He ordered. Yet again Min Yoongi was embarrassed. Not only did he not succeed in killing me, he now was desperate for my help. 


Step Three was completed.