Full House

Three Million Years

Her heart dropped out of her stomach. 

"What?" She asked, hoping she hadn't heard him right over the blood pounding in her ears. 

He gave her a strange look and repeated. "Pack your things." 

"Why?!" Amber shouted in English, startling the man who'd just come to deliver a simple message. "You guys drove me out somewhere, made me strip down to my underwear, lasered off my hair, made me diet and dance until my knees don't want me to get out of bed in the morning, put me in all these classes with these narrow-minded-" 

Victoria came up behind Amber and put an arm around her waist. She looked at the teenage girl in concern and asked the man in smoother Korean than Amber had managed to master at this point. 

"What did you say to her?" 

"I just told her that she needs to pack her things." 

Victoria's brows shot up while Amber could feel her mind shutting down. She'd done so much. Worked so hard. Left her family. Studied Korean til she was blue in the face. 

"Why?" Victoria asked, rubbing Amber's back. 

"She's moving to a new dorm. You too. Slightly bigger but there will be two of you per room and you'll actually have a kitchen so you don't have to come downstairs to make food." 

Victoria gasped and shook Amber. "Yi Yun," she said softly with a little grin on her face, sorry that Amber had misunderstood, but also a little peeved the man hadn't given her more information to start with. Amber was a kid far from home and the stress had to be piling up, thinking all your hard work had been for nothing, must've shocked her. "Yi Yun," she said again. 

Amber finally looked up at her with red-rimmed eyes, she'd obviously been struggling not to cry. Using a mix of Chinese, English, and Korean, Victoria managed to let Amber know what was happening and get more details from the messenger. Still filling hollow, Amber put all of her belongings in a suitcase and followed Victoria (who had considerably more things), and the messenger out of the building and into the new dorm. 

The walls were a soft yellow in most of the rooms, but Amber chose the powder blue room as her own, and whoever would be rooming with her. The bunk beds made her nervous. She really really hoped she got along with whoever her new roommate would be, cause the space was a little tight. A few feet of bare space, then the bunk beds, a desk, a chair, and a dresser huddled against the other two walls of the room. Victoria had already begun setting up her things, but Amber was still feeling discombobulated. 

"Hello," a curious voice said from the door. 

Amber glanced up to see a short, tanned girl looking into the room. "I was told to room with you?" 

Amber sighed, hoping the girl wouldn't mind being forced to share a room with her. She knew how a lot of the girls around here thought of her. 

"Umm, yeah. I'm Amber." 

"Amber," the girl repeated with a little smile. It was rather welcoming, so Amber felt herself brightening up a bit. "I'm Park SunYoung." 

"SunYoung, that's such a pretty name. It suits you." 

The girl flushed happily and started bouncing on her feet. "Umm, have you already put away your things? How many drawers do I get?" 

Cute, Amber thought. "As many as you want. I don't have much stuff. So you can take most of the closet too." 

This clearly brought SunYoung to new heights of excitement as she unpacked in a whirlwind and was finished before Amber finished scattering her few positions into three drawers, hanging half of her shirts, and organizing her few pairs of shoes. 

"I recognize you," Amber said. "You're always called to the front in dance classes. You're really good." 

"Aww, thank you," the SunYoung said, putting her hands to her heart. "I was worried they wouldn't keep me because I'm so dark and a little bit fat, but here I am! Final round!" She raised her fists in the air while Amber stared at her. 

Fat? Where? Wait, what?! "Final round?!" she asked. 

"Yes, we've been moved into rooms with our final lineups, but there are a few other groups too, so we're still not at the finish line. Everyone else in this building is close to debut." 

Amber's jaw practically got bruised for how far it dropped to the floor. "What?" 

A high pitched voice interjected from the doorway, "What?!" 

Amber looked up to find Krystal pulling a silver suitcase behind her. Beside her was the tall, pale girl with a red suitcase. 

"Wow...the ice princess is in our final lineup," SunYoung gasped. She wrung her hands in excitement. "A top visual!!!" 

Victoria looked into Amber's room to see what all the fuss was and SunYoung practically threw herself to her knees, or she looked like she wanted to the way she gaped at Victoria. "Gorgeous," was the only word that slipped out, even though Victoria was wearing a baggy sweater, leggings, and Mouse house slippers. 

Amber gazed at the all the girls in her room and felt herself getting dizzy. Final lineup, debut, princesses, mouse slippers. She needed a nap. Too much had happened in the past few hours and she was scared to get her hopes up and be lucky enough to debut with Krystal, Victoria, this roommate who seemed super nice, SunYoung, and that pale girl who laughed funny. 

She looked down at herself knowing there was no way she could be that lucky.