----《 CHAPTER 8 》----

Player #88 // semi-haitus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin couldn’t believe it. They had won.

 

Smiling triumphantly at Chanyeol, Jongin was ready to remove his helmet and throw it in victory but recalled that his cover would be blown, hence he chose to make a run towards his quarterback instead.

 

He hadn’t believed that this last-minute plan would work but it did and it was so beautifully executed. How it came about? It all started as a remark at half time, they were making their way out of the field for water and Jongin strolled behind with Chanyeol. The latter had joked about how the scores were tied, with both teams having stronger-than-before defense and aggressive offense, “it’s impossible, really”, Chanyeol had sighed.

 

It struck Jongin. They were playing and scoring the same or similar way ever since the start of the game, and they were definitely not going anywhere at that rate.

 

“How about Hail Mary, yeol”, Jongin had suggested, knowing the risks might very well outweigh the benefits. The Legendaries were good at their game of football, but they were predictable and definitely not risk takers, which was why it was worth a shot. Chanyeol had laughed it off, thinking it was a joke, but his eyes had twinkled at the idea. “You’re serious”, he stated, shaking his head at the absurdity of the idea.

 

With less than ten seconds on the clock and the game surprisingly, still at a draw with both teams scoring the same points worth of goals, Jongin had given Chanyeol the signal. They had been laying low, playing their usual strategies and Jongin was sure that they wouldn’t be expecting it. At the sound of the whistle, Jongin snapped the ball back, Chanyeol caught it easily and began his distraction. Attempting to run pass the barrier of defenders, Chanyeol had drawn most of the players to his area, leaving Jongin to make a mad dash for the end zone.

 

As the timer came to a standstill at 00:00, Jongin shouted his quarterback’s name at the top of his lungs and Chanyeol launched the football sailing through the air. The crowd’s deafening screams died down with everyone in the bleachers holding their breaths. In his peripheral view, Jongin caught movement of The Legendaries 40-yards sprint but despite their efforts, they were too late. Jongin had made the jump and caught the ball in the end zone. They had clinched the victory!

 

Back in the present moment, Jongin had just managed to envelope Chanyeol in a tight hug when their teammates joined in for the celebration, tumbling into a massive pile of bodies, with both of them at the bottom of the heap.

 

“Kai.” Jongin looked up, wincing at the sheer weight of his 10 teammates. It was The Legendaries’ captain standing a few feet away from the mass of bodies, removing his helmet and waiting for him to respond. Jongin detangled himself, with much difficulty and without a choice, removed his helmet. Extending his hand to Jongin, the captain smiled and congratulated, “It was a good match, congrats on winning this time round.”

 

Gladly returning the handshake, Jongin beamed proudly, “Thanks Min Soo, it was an honour to be able to play against your team once again.”

 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

 

Weaving through the crowd on the field, Baekhyun searched for Kai. It wouldn’t be hard to find him if there were only 22 players on the field, but with the whole college team rushing onto the field to congratulate the rest, Baekhyun struggled to identify Kai amongst the 45 other players. When he finally spotted the 88 somewhere in the middle of the crowd, he noticed that Kai had his helmet off, hand casually combing through damp, pink hair.

 

Pink hair?!

 

Never in his wildest dream would he have imagined Kai with pink hair. Blinking out of his disbelief, Baekhyun realised that he had yet again, lost his player to the crowd. Letting ou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter