Chapter 4

Black Rose

Back to 3rd person POV

____

Harim told them about the campus and how she had a whole house to herself.

“Also, there is something really strange about this school.” She started.

“What’s strange, nothing sounded strange from what you told us.” Jungkook retorted.

“You are the strange thing, that’s why, oppa.” Harim joked, smiling at the laughter from her parents.

“Whatever, just say it,” Jungkook grumbled.

“You know the flowers,” Harim said.

“What flowers?” Jungkook coughed awkwardly.

“They have sy-,” Harim stopped.

“What?” Jungkook asked.

“They have cherry blossoms in season around the campus,” Harim said.

“Oh. Don’t worry about it, it will probably wither soon.” Jungkook told Harim, relieved.

Harim bid goodbye to her family after chatting with them for a while. She decided against telling them about this whole new world she was thrown into in case they thought she was crazy. Harim put the groceries and clothes away, hanging them on the light blue knob.

____

Harim’s POV

I looked at the clock. 6 pm.

I grabbed the instant noodles and placed them on the counter. I bent down to grab a pot to boil water when I noticed the sack of rice sitting next to the countertop.

Right. Suho has to eat too.

I grabbed my stalk, blowing on the petal and throwing it in the air. Suho materialized while the petal attached itself to the stalk.

“How can I help, master?” He asked.

"Uh so, I can’t cook that well,” I said.  

"Me either," Suho replied. 

Well okay then, looks like we are having instant noodles for dinner tonight. 

"Are you okay with instant noodles?" I asked. 

He nodded and stood in his place, watching me. Sighing, I grabbed him by the shoulders and forced him to sit down in a chair. When the water boiled, I added simple ingredients such as sausages and green onions. I waited for the noodles to cook as I texted Xin Han.

“Master, the noodles are done.” Suho's voice snapped me back to reality. 

I switched off the fire and was about to place the pot on the table when I saw something black on the kitchen counter from the corner of my eye. I picked it up and realized it was another petal. I noticed a helmet-like symbol on the petal and could not seem to identify the symbol. Suho was setting the table with utensils and bowls before I interrupted him. 

"Suho. What does this symbol represent?"

"Earth. " 

I was too tired to summon another Ivise and do the explaining all over again so I decided to save it for tomorrow. I placed the pot on the table and opened the lid. The aroma was overwhelming. I was about to dig in when the doorbell rang. I groaned and unwillingly left my food before proceeding to answer the door. 

"Good evening, Miss Jeon. My master sent me here to pass you your schedule for next week.” a familiar face bowed and held out a slip of paper. 

"Blaze, right? Just Harim is fine." I flashed him a big smile as I took the paper from him. 

"Thank you for delivering it. Give me a moment.” I ran to the kitchen, grabbed a bottle of water, and passed it to him. “Please be safe on your way back.”

His beautiful red eyes fixated on me, a glint of surprise flashed in his eyes. 

"Thank you for your well wishes. I will be taking my leave now." He said in his gentle manner and bowed once again before walking off.

I closed the door and scanned the piece of paper that he gave me. 

First day

First period: Skill training

Second period: Physical education 

Third period : History

Fourth period: Arts evaluation

Last period: Grade evaluation 

To say that I was excited was an understatement. There was a spring in my step as I walked back into the kitchen only to see Suho sitting still when I arrived.

"Why didn't you eat first? The noodles are getting soggy! " I gasped, rushing to the table.

"You didn't give me permission." He shrugged. 

I inhaled and exhaled loudly. 

"Okay. I give you the freedom to do whatever you want around here. Just be yourself around me. " I sat down opposite him, facing him.

“It doesn’t work that way-,” Suho started to say.

“I am not eating till you eat first so hurry up unless you want me to starve to death.” I crossed my arms firmly, glaring at him.

The next five minutes were us having a war of nerves with each other, with my stomach grumbling loudly. Since I started this, I am not going to back down. Suho stared at me, seeing at me staring at the noodles turning soggy, and sighed. He picked up a pair of chopsticks, grabbed noodles, and put them in my bowl, he stood up, coming to my side.

“What are you doing?” I asked as he stood next to me with chopsticks in his hand.

Wow, this was the first time he was so close to me, his wavy black locks and gentle features made him look ethereal, and his dark brown eyes with flicks of blue added to the fact that he looked ungodly. He is without expression now but just imagine when he smiles, people might faint from that. Including me.

Suho took the bowl in his hands and picked up noodles with the chopsticks. He held the chopsticks to my lips and prodded at it.

“Open your mouth.” He said.

Even his voice is nice, I thought to myself, staring at his face. I forgot about resisting. I opened my mouth and he put the chopsticks in gently, watching as I chewed on the noodles. With a satisfied smirk, he put the bowl in front of me and put the chopsticks in my hand, heading back to his seat and eating quietly.

I was in shock. That was the first time a man fed me other than my father and occasionally my brother stuffing bread into my mouth. He finally showed some type of emotion, I looked at him again, trying to analyze his personality.

“Harim, stop staring at me, your eyes are burning holes in my face,” Suho said, calmly.

“Oh, sorry!” I squeaked, cupping my reddening cheeks with my hands as I flushed from embarrassment.

Suho’s POV

I stared at the girl in front of me. A young girl, with long honey-brown hair and bangs covering her forehead. Her warm brown eyes showed so many emotions and her body was honest to her feelings as I saw her cheeks reddened. Cute.

I thought back to the events that happened today. When I was first summoned, I expected another merciless and greedy receiver, and I was ready to be forced to do things against my will like all the other times I was summoned but what greeted me was a soft voice and hands on my arms, pulling me to stand up with her.

That was new, usually, I had to kneel until the receiver commanded me to do something.

"I am at your service, master," I said.

"My name is Jeon Harim. Please call me by my name.” The gentle voice replied again.

“I am not supposed to address you by your name, master. It is considered very disrespectful.” Shocked at the request, I blurted out the first thing I knew.

That was the first time any receiver said that to me. Addressing your receiver by his or her name is strictly forbidden for an Ivise. I looked down at my new receiver, glancing at her face. 

“Oh, I see.” She stared at the ground with a crestfallen expression.

. What did I do, am I going to get punished?

I dropped down to my knees again and started apologizing. 

“I am sorry, master. Please don’t punish me.” I pleaded desperately. I don't want to feel pain anymore.

I felt her crouch down beside me.

“No, why would I do that, even if you did something wrong, I am not in the position to punish you,” She said frantically. 

She grabbed my hands and pulled me into a standing position with her. I continued looking down and avoided her eyes. Her hands are so warm in contrast with my cold ones.

“You are my master and I made you upset, I’m sorry I made a mistake,” I said, voice void of any emotions. I was not going to try my luck. All receivers are the same. She just seems nice now, wait till she shows her true colours.

"First of all, you did nothing wrong. Secondly, please do call me by my name, the term ‘master’ makes me uncomfortable. Lastly, we are both human and therefore should be treated as equals. " She tilted her head to make eye contact with me, which I unconsciously avoided.

"It does not work that way, master. My apologies.” I said stoically.

What did she even just say? Is she really a receiver?

"Well, you have plenty of time to get used to it. I am not taking that for an answer.” She sighed, walking towards the bench.

I followed her slowly, standing beside her while she took a seat.

"Sit down.” She grabbed my hand and pulled me to sit next to her.

That warmth again. I sat down, staring straight in front of me.

"Erm...What’s your name.” She asked, trying to break the ice.

"I do not have a name; my name will be whatever you call me," I said monotonously. 

Does she not know that she has to name me?

"Did you pop out of my ? I wasn’t pregnant with you for nine months so don't expect me to name you.” She said, firmly. 

I stared at her blankly as her words processed in my head. I finally understood and cleared my throat looking away as the tips of my ears slightly reddened. She is a fiery one.

“My name is Kim Joon Myeon. You can call me Suho.” I decided to tell her.

“Hi Suho, nice to meet you, can you please show me what you can do.” She turned to face me, excitedly.

Wow, I can read what is she feeling from her face.

"I can't show you without commands. You must tell me what to do,” I said to her again emotionlessly.

I heard her sigh again.

"Look, Suho. I am new to all this Valaen and Ivise thing, okay? So, I don't know anything. Please, just show me.” She pleaded with me.

She is new? That’s why she doesn’t know anything, just wait till she knows that she can order us around.

I sighed, for now, I will just comply with her request. I walked to the side of the pool and pointed at it. I will just do something simple. I made the water swirl in big circles and gain speed to form a mini whirlpool. 

"Wow…" dropped, and she ran to the edge of the pool to see it closer.

I cupped my hands together. I then removed the hand from the top and revealed a beautiful rose made from water.

She walked over and extended her hand towards the bottom of the stalk. The moment her fingers met the rose, it fell apart.

“That’s so cool,” She said, eyes twinkling.

I nodded without a word.

“Will I be able to do that too? She asked.

“When you collect a full stalk of petals, yes,” I said.

“Oh, whatever, let’s go grocery shopping, I opened the fridge just now and it was empty.” She rubbed her stomach, walked to the front door, and locked it.

She doesn’t care? Most receivers crave power and try to find a full stalk as soon as possible to unlock their power.

She threw the petal in the air and it attached itself to the stalk, the symbol on my petal glowing a light blue as it did so.

“Suho, what does this symbol mean?” She asked, showing him the petal.

“It’s a symbol of an Ivise with a water ability,” I replied curtly.

That’s all I am going to tell her. Water. Before she asked me to destroy things once she knew.

She nodded and walked to the gate, I trailed after her. We made our way out of the campus, and to the nearby supermarket. She grabbed a basket and passed it to me before grabbing another basket herself.

“Grab anything you want; I will pay for it!” She said and smiled at me.

Her smile was so bright it left me stunned for a while. Whatever I want? That’s again new. Most receivers don’t care if we eat or not.

She headed straight to the instant food section, and grabbed bags of instant noodles, before heading to the snacks section and raiding it, filling the basket with different snacks. Then, She grabbed a carton of 30 eggs, and 2 bags of kimchi and put it into the basket. 

She turned to see me with an empty basket, following her. I looked at her basket, sighed, and turned to find the aisle with vegetables. That diet is so unhealthy.

I went back to where she was with a basket filled with a variety of vegetables in my left hand and a sack of rice in my right hand.

“That’s a healthy diet you have,” She said, looking at my choice of food.

If that’s all she eats, she is going to fall sick sooner or later.

“That’s an unhealthy diet you have,” I deadpanned, retorting her comment.

She pouted and put two more cartons of milk into her basket, before attempting to lift the basket, only to find that it was too heavy for her to lift. I stared at her, trying not to smile. She is cute. 

I put down the basket of vegetables and took the basket from her, lifting it easily. Seriously? She can’t lift this much? I should keep a closer eye on her. If she is attacked, we are both dead.

She paid while I grabbed the grocery bags without a word.

“Suho, give one of the bags to me, isn’t it heavy?” She asked, reaching for one of the bags in my hand.

They weigh nothing to me and here is she worrying about me when she should be worrying for herself. If I really gave her one of the bags, I think her arm might dislocate. That is how weak she seems to me.

“It’s ok, I’ll carry it, just lead the way, master.” I jerked the bag away from her reach.

“I still have some shopping to do, do you want to go back first, I will call a cab and give you the house keys. Just leave the groceries on the table, I will sort them out later.” She said, fishing the keys out of her pocket.

“Harim,” I said firmly.

I decided to risk it to get her to listen to me.

“Y-yes?” She asked, surprised

“Stop being so considerate and do what you need to do. I am not leaving you alone.” I said, sighing relieved.

She is not angry. Can I really trust her?

Once at home, I put the groceries on the table and started to unload them.

“Suho.” She grabbed his forearm, stopping me.

“Yes, master,” I replied, immediately.

“Can you call me by my name from now on?” She asked softly, making eye contact with me, only to be met with my emotionless eyes.

. Stop staring at me with those eyes before my walls break down.

“It was only to stop you from carrying the bags, master. I apologize for overstepping my boundaries.” I said, bowing.

“What if I ordered you to call me by my name?” She shot back at me.

I stood in silence. If I really started calling her name, would I be able to go back to calling her master when she learns that she has control over me?

“Then I will do so since you ordered me to do it,”  I replied.

“Fine, do what you want, call me master or whatever makes you comfortable. Just go rest, I will deal with these.” She sighed, ruffling her hair in annoyance. 

“Yes, master.” I bowed again and disappeared. I needed some time to think.

I felt a gentle breath on the petal as I was summoned.

“How can I help, master?” I asked.

"Uh so, I can’t cook that well,” Harim said.  

"Me either," I replied. 

"Are you okay with instant noodles?" She asked. 

I nodded and stood in his place, watching her. Sighing, she grabbed me by the shoulders and forced me to sit down in a chair. That warmth from her hands again.

“Master, the noodles are done,” I told her as I watched her engrossed in texting someone.

I was setting the table with utensils and bowls before she interrupted me.

"Suho. What does this symbol represent?" She held out the petal to me.

I felt my breath hitch. This symbol…

"Earth. " I said.

The doorbell rang and she went to answer the door. I stared at the petal on the table. One of my brothers is with me. I smiled at the thought that I was not going to be alone. She came running back to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before running back to the door. I heard the shuffle of her feet and peeled my eyes away from the petal.

"Why didn't you eat first? The noodles are getting soggy! " She gasped, rushing to the table.

"You didn't give me permission." I shrugged. 

She inhaled and exhaled once loudly. 

"Okay. I give you the freedom to do whatever you want around here. Just be yourself around me. " She sat down opposite him, facing me.

Damn. She is not giving up, huh? I am not either.

“It doesn’t work that way-,” I started to say.

“I am not eating till you eat first so hurry up unless you want me to starve to death.” She crossed my arms firmly, glaring at me.

Again, she proved that she has a fiery side to her.

The next five minutes were us having a war of nerves with each other, with her stomach grumbling loudly. I stared at her, seeing at her staring at the noodles, and sighed. Those eyes again, she looks like she is going to cry. I picked up a pair of chopsticks, grabbed noodles put them in her bowl, and stood up, walking to her side.

“What are you doing?” She asked as I stood next to her with chopsticks in her hand.

I felt her gaze on my face. I took her bowl in my hands and picked up noodles with the chopsticks. I held the chopsticks to her lips and prodded at it. If she is not going to eat, I will just force her to.

“Open your mouth,” I said.

She opened and I put the chopsticks in gently, watching as she chewed on the noodles. Looks like she forgot about resisting. With a satisfied smirk, I put the bowl in front of her and put the chopsticks in her hand, heading back to my seat and eating quietly.

I just showed emotion in front of her. That was a first in years. She seems harmless. Very harmless. Should I just trust her? I should sacrifice myself for my brothers. In case she turns out to be like everyone else, at least I am the only one that she will hurt.

“Harim, stop staring at me, your eyes are burning holes in my face,” I said.

“Oh, sorry!” She squeaked, cupping her reddening cheeks with her hands as she flushed from embarrassment.

She looks like a hamster.

“Harim.” I started. Let’s see where this conversation is going to go.

Harim’s POV

“Harim,” Suho said.

“Yes, Suho.” I beamed at him, glad that he was calling me by my name and actually talking to me first.

“You know, you are very different from other receivers I have met. You haven’t hurt me once this whole day or asked me to do anything.” He said, looking into my eyes.

Why was he looking into my eyes so intently, I nervously played with my fingers, I felt like I am being interrogated.

“You didn’t break any laws and I am not a judge. I can do things by myself you know.” I replied.

“Receivers are power hungry and have no compassion. If I spoke to my previous receivers like how I dared to speak to you right now, I would have been silenced and tortured by now.” He said bitterly, eyes flashing with hate.

“What?” I whispered, unable to comprehend that information.

“Torture? Why would anyone do that, that is so inhumane. Please believe I will never do that; I would rather kill myself than be seen as a sadist.” I rushed over to Suho and grabbed his hands, tears filling my eyes.

This is crazy, I traced the scars that littered his hands, unable to control my tears any longer as I imagined the things that could been done to him for these scars to not heal. To think that I was excited about meeting more of them while they just think that they were going to be hurt again. I will never resort to such low methods of cruelty.

“I was taught from a young age that it's one for all and all for one and I live by that. When I misbehaved as a child, my brother was punished along with me. If my brother did something wrong, I am punished along with him” I said, tears flowing uncontrollably down my face.

I sniffled, hiccupping. Suho pulled out the chair next to him and sat me down. Moving his chair closer to me, he took tissues from the table and dabbed at the tears on my face. He stood up and grabbed a bottle of water and opened it for me. I chugged the water down, trying to calm myself. I could not stop. I was the type that couldn’t stop crying once I started. Like a broken faucet.

“It will be the same for all of you. If I ever go crazy and hurt you, I will do the same to myself. So please don’t worry and don’t be scared of me. Stop me if you think I will do something to hurt you. Treat me like a friend.” I wiped at the tears on my face, only to make way for new ones to make their way down my face.

“, I shouldn’t have said anything.” I heard Suho mumble under his breath, and he grabbed more tissues.

“No. Thank you for telling me. If not you, someone else will tell me anyway. I can’t believe you suffered so much.” I sniffled, turning away, and blowing my nose into the tissues.

“Harim. I am okay. Stop crying, okay?” Suho said gently, pulling me to face him.

Suho’s POV

I didn’t know she would have such a strong reaction. . I really shouldn’t have said anything. I wiped her tears from her face with tissues as I stared down at her. Her big doe eyes were red and brimmed with tears threatening to fall again. Her cheeks and nose were tinted pink from all the crying. What have I done; I feel like the bad guy now. If anyone walked in now, they would probably think I bullied her.

She held her breath to stop her crying, but it didn’t work. I watched as more tears fell.

“Why can’t I stop?” She wiped at her face furiously.

“Be more gentle, you’re going to leave a scratch on your face.” I grabbed her wrist.

Really? Is that all you can say to comfort her? I blamed myself as I tidied up the table, and did the dishes. It was silent in the kitchen cess for the occasional sniffle from Harim. Note to myself to not make or let her cry again.

I washed my hands and turned to face her. Harim silently sat there, tears sliding down her face, she wiped them away and fiddled with her fingers. I sighed, what do I do?

“Suho?” She said.

“Hmm?” I replied, deep in thought.

“Can I have a hug? My brother hugs me when I am sad, but he is not here now.” Harim sniffled.

Hug. That was the first thing she asked from me, that she needed.

I walked to her, standing in front of her.

Harim’s POV

Suho stood in front of me. I stood up and hugged him, arms wrapped tightly around his waist. I sniffled into his shoulder. His hands wrapped around me in a gentle embrace. We stayed like this for a while, his hand patting me on the back.

I looked up from the hug to glance at Suho who was staring at the clock.

“Thanks, Suho.” I feel much better now, I smiled at him.

“Go wash up, Harim. It’s late.” Suho smiled, grabbing the pile of tissues on the table.

I was right. His smile made him look even more unreal.

“O-okay,” I said, mesmerized.

“I’m glad I bought some clothes for you, your shirt is soaked with my tears.” I laughed, making my way to my room.

Suho shook his head, smiling as he looked down on his shirt. I took a shower, changing into my pajamas when I heard a knock at my door.

"Good night, Harim," Suho said when I opened the door.

He took a shower and changed into fresh clothes.

"Good night," I replied.

The next second, he disappeared into the thin air with a smile.

“Not again," I groaned.

I found my stalk with only one petal on the coffee table in the living room and plucked the petal out, blowing on it before letting it reattach. Suho once again materialized in front of me, looking very confused. 

"Isn't sleeping in a bed more comfortable?" I asked. 

"It is but-" he started. 

"Then sleep in a bed. The bedroom with the light blue door knob is yours."

He looked dazed but followed me to the second floor anyway. I patted his shoulder and watched him enter his room before going to mine on the third floor. I dried my wet hair and took the stalk from my room table along with the case that the cab driver gave to me

I took the new petal I found and the stalk from my bedside table and threw the petal in the air gently. The petal floated in the air and attached itself to the stalk. It didn’t glow like Suho’s one did. I opened the case and placed the stalk inside, only to find that it was the perfect match. I placed the case in the drawer and locked the drawer. I switched off the lights and climbed into the soft bed. The moment my head touched the pillow, I drifted off to a peaceful, dreamless sleep...

 

 

 

_____

A/N 

This was a longgggg chapter, had to get rid of all the romance-obsessed elements that 13-year-old me poured into the story. If the comments don't make sense that is because I moved the contents to the next chapter. Hehe.

- lux