Chapter 9

Black Rose

“Now, when you’re ready. Let the tests begin.”

 

-

 

“The current powers of your protectors are water, earth, teleportation and fire. There are crystal balls labelled according to each individual power on the table. Now, protectors, find the correctly labelled one and stand behind it.” Professor Lee said, standing up and guiding them to the table.

 

“There is a separate grades called ranking for protectors, S, A, B and C. The strands of colour in the balls will be attracted to your hands when you place your hands on it. More strands will conjure according to your strength. Now, protectors, place your hands on the respective crystal balls.” 

 

They turned around and looked at me and I  nodded my head for them to continue.

 

Suho placed his hands on the crystal ball labelled water. Light blue strands of colour floated to the surface where his hands are and more started conjuring, the light blue strands turning a darker blue as the concentration of strands increased. A cracking sound could be heard and suho took his hands off the ball in surprise. The ball has cracked and crumpled down into pieces.

 

A clapping sound can be heard and Professor Lee patted my back.

 

“Congratulations, Miss Jeon. Your protector is a S-rank! Although S-ranked water elementals are not that rare, the last S-rank water elemental was discovered 5 years ago strangely by a student with the surname Jeon as well. Now, let’s move on to the earth elemental.” Professor Lee wrote something down on his clipboard and flipped through the sheets of paper.

 

My mouth hanged opened in shock at the revelation that Suho was a S-rank. To think that someone who looked that gentle is a S-rank was hard to take in.

 

Kyungsoo places his hands on the crystal ball, moss green strands attracted to his hands like a magnet and slowly turned a dark green. Suddenly, the crystal ball exploded. A dome of vines shot up and covered us as shards of glass flew in all directions. Kyungsoo put his hand that was stretched out down and the vines subsided into nothing on the ground.

 

“Miss Jeon, I’m thinking of making you pay for the crystal balls if your protectors keep breaking them...” Professor Lee cleared his throat while standing up and brushed himself off as he crouched down during the explosion.

 

I smiled at him sheepishly as Kyungsoo nonchalantly came to stand beside me.  

 

“Jokes aside, I’m impressed, Miss Jeon. Another S-ranked protector. A S-rank earth elemental is actually considered quite rare even within the school’s circle of alumni.” Professor Lee smiled at me and said.

 

Professor Lee gestured at Kai to continue. Kai placed his hands on the crystal ball. Periwinkle stands of colours slowly become a mass of dark purple strands. The crystal ball suddenly disappeared and reappeared again at the other side of the room and crashed down to the floor, shattering into a million pieces.

 

Professor Lee’s face darkened as the third crystal ball was destroyed. 

 

“S-rank.” He said, forcing a smile and wrote down on paper while gesturing for Chanyeol to start.

 

Chanyeol places his hands on the crystal ball. Orange and red shards were conjured and the crystal ball was melted into black remnants on the table.

 

“S again?” Professor Lee frowned and walked out the room, coming back with Professor Kim.

 

Professor Kim looked at the clipboard and up at me. He glanced at Suho and the others and I told them to go back to their petals as the Professor looked like he got something to say to me in private.

 

“You are a first year student?” He asked.

 

I nodded my head, confused.

 

“You see that black crystal in the middle of the room? Place your hands on it.” He instructed her while striding to the computer.

 

The black crystal was huge and has wires connected to it leading to the computer. I did as he said and placed my hands on the crystal.

 

“Ungraded? Impossible...” He murmured under his breath as he ferociously clicked at the computer. 

 

“Try again.” Professor Lee prompted me.

 

I placed my hands on the cool surface of the crystal once again.

 

“It’s still ungraded.” Professor Kim furrowed his eyebrows. 

 

“We’ll discuss this later, Heechul. There are still students outside waiting. Help me clean up and replaced the crystal balls.” Professor Lee nudged him and said.

 

“Miss Jeon, for now, your personal grade is U while the current four of your protectors are S- ranks. Come back for another grade evaluation next semester.” Professor Lee said, guiding me out the door.

 

“Thank you, Professor.” I bowed at him and walked in the direction of my house as classes for the day has ended. 

 

A vibration was felt in my pocket and i answered the phone.

 

“Hello? Jae young?”

 

The black crystal was inspired by chapter 62 of the manhwa "solo levelling" which you should read if you have not because it's so good! I noticed some new subbies so welcome to you guys! As always leave comments below so I can improve on my writing :) 

p.s. I will be understanding if you bash me about how horrible this chapter was because I wrote this while having a headache so it's abit short...I promise next chapter will be more exciting

-Xin