Letter

Spring Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

09

 

 

***

 

 

Seohyun took her seat across her parents in their dining area, contemplating if she's going to ask her parents or not. They're having their dinner in silence once again which is giving her anxiety.

She would occasionally glance at them as if she's waiting for the right timing to say what's in her mind or if there's also in their minds that she wanted them to say something first. But her father has finished his meal without even saying a thing. 

 

"Is there something wrong?" ask her as she broke her silence, in concern of the current situation between her parents.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Seo turned their attention towards her in surprise.

 

"I mean, you guys are quiet." she explained and she bit her lower lip, staring at them worriedly.

 

Her parents looked into each other's eyes and smile as they returned their attention towards her. They shake their heads gently to confirm.

 

"We're just exhausted. Nothing's wrong honey." said Mr. Seo, amused at their daughter. He gently rubs his daughter's head and left the dining area to the living room.

 

"How about you? You're quite as well?" came Mrs. Seo's comment as well. 

 

"I... actually want to ask some... advice." a shy response from Seohyun. She's glad her parents are fine so she decided to share her thoughts. "I don't know if you... are going to be okay with this." she couldn't look straight with her mother's eyes.

 

Mrs. Seo chuckled lightly as she took a bite on her food. "I don't mind. Just share it, honey." 

 

"Um... it's about... it's about my friend from Italy." said Seohyun as she exhales. "I want to send her a gift as well, Omma. But I'm thinking twice."

 

"Why? That's actually good to hear." says Mrs. Seo flashing a sweet smile to her daughter.

 

"I mean, I'm planning to send my photos during our Christmas celebration but... I don't know if it's going to be okay or not."

 

"That's sweet for you. Go for it. Nothing bad about it."

 

Seohyun is glad to hear it but she's anxious. "To be honest, it's going to be her first time to see me, Omma. You know she just returned her sight back. Is that fine to send my photos? I mean, she will see my face, not in person."

 

"Omo, chincha? Well, for me... " Mrs. Seo pause for a couple of seconds and she smile as she continues, "Send it then. It doesn't matter if it's in person or not, sending a photo means you appreciate her gift for you. And also, she will definitely love to see your face even on the photos only. She wouldn't mind, I tell you."

 

Finally, Seohyun's lips curved into a smile. "Thanks, Omma." she really appreciates her mother's opinion and it makes her now convinced to send her photos.

 

"That was your problem since you stepped in here?"

 

"Yes."

 

Mrs. Seo laughs softly and couldn't help but pinch her daughter's cheeks. "You are so adorable my daughter." 

 

A tint of red slowly forms in Seohyun's cheeks as she smiles shyly, couldn't look into her mother's eyes.

 

 

:::

 

[Italy]

 

 

Yoona just got out of the shower when she heard her phone beeps. She walked to it and picked it up on the nightstand, smiling brightly right away upon reading Seohyun's message.

 

I got it. I love it. Thank you~

I will wear this tomorrow right away.

Wait for my gift next week Yoona-chan.

 

She was about to type on a response when she heard a knock on the door. And the door opens with Sunny peeking her head behind.

 

"Lunch is ready, Yoona." 

 

"After you, Unnie." smiled Yoona as she let the older girl left first. She decided to put her phone down and gradually follows the older to the dining room. Grandma Seo is already sitting and smile when she saw her. "Thank you for the meal, Unnie, Grandma." she softly and sincerely says as she took her seat. It feels so great to be finally eating with them, with her eyes crystal clear. Not imagining their faces anymore.

 

"Don't mention it." a sweet yet warm smile appeared in Grandma's face as she passes the bowl of salad to the doe-eyed.

 

Yoona extended her hands to politely accept it. "I'll enjoy the meal." she said enthusiastically as she digs into her food.

 

They got quiet for a while, as they focus on their lunch for a couple of minutes. Until Grandma Seo broke it.

 

"Yoona, what do you think of going back to school?"

 

The question cause Yoona to stop on her meal as she eyed the old woman. "I... haven't thought of that. But... since I will be returning to the theater when the time comes, I don't mind going to school as well. I missed it for years either way." She flashes a brief bright smile.

 

"What grade were you when you stopped?" asked Sunny as she casually took a bite of her veggies. 

 

"I was in the second year in high school, Unnie." informed Yoona with a little smile. 

 

"With your age right now, you should be a senior just like my cousin." said Sunny nodding her head.

 

"There's an exam, to be honest, that will jump you to the fourth year." informs Grandma Seo softly. "Do you want to do that for the next semester? I mean there are only months left for the next semester."

 

Sunny's eyes slightly widened. "Seohyun is graduating this year, isn't she, Grandma?"

 

"Yup." a proud smile formed in Grandma Seo's face.

 

"Chincha?" Yoona didn't also expect to hear it.

 

"Wow, which means we should visit her soon. You know, it's time to return what she did the last time." Sunny got excited. It's been years since she returned to her homeland.

 

"Five months later then, let's surprise her." Grandma Seo couldn't get more excited as well. "And you're coming with us, Im Yoona." she added earning a shy smile from the latter.

 

'I'm going to see her for the first time.' Yoona thought at the back of her head. She bit her lower lip as she suppresses that smile on her face. She's excited yet anxious at the same time.

 

-

 

After having a peaceful meal with the Seo, Yoona went upstairs to finally reply to Seohyun's message and she made sure she's careful not to spill their plans. After doing so, she grabs her earphone and went out, to finally enjoy the outside world, using Sunny's bike. Just like she had imagined, everything is still the same except for a few stores that are new for her eyes. She keeps on pedaling while enjoying the weather; sunny yet it's windy as she can still see the snow around the neighborhood. The winter season is indeed slowly disappearing.

 

An hour of roaming around, she ends up in her Auntie's restaurant, where she stood just by the door and can see her old self, sitting to her favorite spot in the place, eating that breakfast her Aunt would be cooked for her. Those were the times and it's overwhelming. 

 

"How can I help... " Her Aunt stops halfway when she saw her, staring at her with an agape lip, as she looked at her from top to button. "Is that you, Im Yoona?"

 

Without any word, Yoona approached her Aunt and throw her arms around her neck. "Yes, Auntie, it's me." she said as her tears finally drop from the corner of her eyes. "Thank you Auntie." she couldn't miss and tell her. She owe everything to her when she loses her vision. She will forever remember her kindness.

 

"Did... did you just return your eyesight back?" Her Auntie is in disbelief but she's definitely so happy for her niece. "Oh gosh." She pulled back and check on her again then she wipes those tears away. "This is a miracle. I'm... I'm so happy for you, honey." she couldn't hold back and emotionally shed tears as well, hugging her niece back while couldn't stop thanking the heavens above for the miracle her niece was given. Her prayers have finally came true and she's in mix of emotions.

 

"There are some people who helped me, Auntie. I owe them forever." says Yoona, enjoying that comforting embrace from her Aunt. She's so thankful as well that she looked doing well. 

 

Gently pulling back, Her Auntie smiled as she wipes her own tears. "Let's make cookies then in return for their generosity."

 

"That's... a great idea, Auntie." A bright smile painted in Yoona's lips as she suddenly got excited baking again with her Auntie. Back then, she would make it for her lunch and her mom is there to help them as well. Her younger self has a lot of good memories that she would really always go back.

 

 

:::

 

 

"Grandma, Sunny Unnie, I got something for you guys!!!" Yoona's voice was heard in every corner of the house the moment she walked inside. But she didn't hear any response that she proceeds to check on them on the dining area and kitchen. There she found a note on the table.

 

Grandma's in her room while I'm on duty. 
Just heat the food later dinner. Be home at dawn.

Sunny

 

After reading the note she checks what's on the pot and a pan that Sunny had covered. She smiled briefly as she decided to leave and went upstairs to Grandma Seo's room. "Grandma?" Softly she called as she gently knocks on the door twice. But she didn't hear any response. "I got some cookies I made with my Aunt, Grandma." She added and tried to open the door, she's glad it isn't locked as she peeked her head inside.

 

Grandma Seo is sitting on her rocking chair while doing something, facing the big window before her. Walking inside, an unconscious sweet smile spreads on her face as she approached her but she stops halfway when she heard her mumbling things she doesn't have any idea. 

"Grandma?" She felt so weird. 

The called out old woman turned her head to face her. "You're back honey." Her face is bright as she childishly approached her wearing her childish smiles. "Omo, you got me cookies?"

 

Yoona steps backward feeling like she isn't the grandma she knows. 

"What's wrong Hyun? Why are you scared of me?" Ask Grandma Seo as it wonders her.

 

"It's Yoona, Grandma. Don't you, recognize me?" 

"Yoona? You're not Yoona. What are you saying? You're my daughter, Kim Hyun Min." 

"Huh?" 

Grandma Seo giggles and steps forward to get the box of cookies in Yoona's hand. "Give me that, I'm hungry." 

Yoona dodges her reached and she hurriedly walked out the room, feeling scared. She started walking to the living room she's calling Sunny. "Pick up, Unnie." It's ringing but Sunny's taking time to answer it.

 

"Come back here, Hyuuuuun!!!" Grandma's whining from distance can be heard but she did not return any more.

 

Upon reaching the living room, Sunny finally answered.

 

"Unnie what's going on with Grandma? She doesn't recognize me anymore and... and... she sounds childish?"

 

[Omo, she skipped her pills.]

"For what?" Ask Yoona in concern.

 

[Her dementia is developing Yoona. She needed to drink that red pill every day to prevent it. But can you do me a favor? I can't leave my duty right now. You can get it from her drawer. Don't be scared, Grandma Seo behaves well if you act like her daughter. So it's easy for you to let her drink it.]

"No, wonder..." says Yoona while having goosebumps. But it saddens her when she learned it. "Araso, I'll give her the med. Thanks for telling me Unnie."

 

[I'll explain to you everything later.]


"Yes." Ending the call Yoona took a deep breath and slowly exhales. "Pretty sure the Seo doesn't know about this." Mumbles her and slowly she returned upstairs.

 

Grandma Seo is back on her rocking chair. Thankfully and she wasn't saying stuff anymore but rather she's enjoying the cartoons playing on her old tv. Yoona casually went to the drawer and look for the red pill Sunny was talking about. She saw it in no time and pour a glass of water. "Grandma." She softly called her again as she carefully approached her.

 

"Why are you always calling me Grandma when I am not yet and you're still studying?" A sulky face formed in Grandma's face. 

Yoona smiled at the adorable sight. "Yeah, I'm sorry about it Grand-I mean Omma." She quickly corrected herself. "But it's time for your pill now." She continues, reached for her hair, and gives it a rub from behind.

 

Grandma Seo closes her eyes, enjoying the rub from behind but it suddenly stopped causing her to open her eyes and send glares to the girl behind.

 

"Let's take your med first, hmm?" Yoona smiled sweetly as she handed the pill.

 

Sighing in defeat, Grandma Seo took the pill and put it inside before she took the glass of water. With a couple of gulps, she returned the glass and gestures to return on rubbing her hair.

 

Yoona giggles and gladly complied. 

 

Moments later, Grandma Seo dozes off to sleep and Yoona puts her comforter on her lap, giving a gentle kiss on her forehead. "I'll wake you up later, Grandma." softly she told the sleeping woman as a sweet smile painted her face. She left the bedroom peaceful and returns to the living room with a growling stomach.

 

 

:::

 

 

A satisfied and relieved sigh escapes Seohyun's lips as soon as she returns home. She immediately expected her parents to be not around after sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter