Gift

Spring Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08

 

 

***

 

 

30 minutes turns one hour... turns 4 hours... Seohyun felt like going back home already but her parents are still conversing with their relatives, having fun while she's alone on her seat, watching the tv. Her cousins are outside, playing with snowballs. She wanted to join them but her parents forbid her since she's still under punishment. Her phone wasn't even with her, that she couldn't call Sunny to greet them for Christmas.

 

Getting off of her seat, she walked outside at where her cousins are playing and just watched them by a nearby bench, sighing from time to time but will also smile because they're obviously having fun and she doesn't mind watching them.

 

Moments later, her mother called her and she hurriedly runs to them, bowing to her Aunties and Uncles as they leave the house. 

"Where do you want to go before going home?" Her mom suddenly asked her while they're on the road.

 

"Should we head home?" She doesn't feel going anywhere else other than home.

 

"But it's Christmas." Mr. Seo said glancing at his daughter at the backseat.

 

"Your father is right. Okay, let's head to amusement park hon." Mrs. Seo didn't hesitate and she announced. She smiled sweetly to her daughter but only to be ignored. She sighs and just brushed it off.

 

Just thirty minutes later, they reached the park and Seohyun's parents immediately bought her a cotton candy, a Christmas hat, and even her favorite stuff toys but none of them even brought smiles to Seohyun's face. She just accepted all of them for their sake.

 

When they started riding the rides, her smiles are slowly returning and she asks for more, that they rode a total of 6 rides in the end including the roller coaster.

 

"Omma, Appa. Thank you." Shyly she told her parents, suppressing that smile on her face after their last ride. She really had fun and all that she can think is to have more fun around the amusement park.

 

"I'm sorry, Joohyun." Came Mrs. Seo's apologies as she took her daughter's hands, staring at her apologetically. "What we did was wrong but I hope you learned your lesson now."

 

Seohyun nodded her head, flashing a small smile. "It's okay."

 

"To end your punishment, here's your phone." Mr. Seo finally returned the smartphone of their daughter. "Let's have some late dinner before going home." He announced afterward earning smiles from his wife and daughter.

 

"Chincha?" A big excited smile plastered in Seohyun's face as she looks at the phone she missed for a few days and to her father.

 

"Yes. You got it now." Mr. Seo chuckled in amusement.

 

"Thank you, Appa." Taking the phone, Seohyun hugs her father briefly and opens it immediately.

 

"Let's find a good restaurant now." Mrs. Seo said and ushered her family to keep going.

 

Seohyun followed her parents while she's checking the messages from her classmates. All of them are sent her Christmas Greetings and some ask if she's doing alright. She replied to some of them and stopped walking when she saw Sunny's name and she has 40 unread messages. She already knew she got her cousin worried for her. But before she will be lost from her parents' sight, she hastily catches up with them as they finally found a restaurant. They got their table in no time and she checks Sunny's message. 

 

She reads it from the top until the last recent messages she sent.

 

Joohyun, how are you?

Call me when you read this.

Joohyun, been three days since I heard from you. Is there something wrong?

 

Merry Christmas.

Yoona, she's missing you.

 

Sighing heavily, She pouted and was about to type a response when her phone was snatched.

 

"Let's eat first, shall we?" Mrs. Seo asked her daughter as she put her daughter's phone down on the table.

 

Seohyun nodded her head gently and smile briefly as she took the chopsticks and took a bite of her food. She can't help and glance at her phone. Her mother just had to ruin her excitement to reply to her cousin which upsets her.

 

-

 

Diving on her bed after a long ride home, Seohyun opened her phone to finally give a response to Sunny. But she got startled when Sunny's caller ID flashes on the screen. "Why-why is she calling?" she got panic and composed herself before she answered. "Unnie." almost putting her voice loud.

 

[Wow, you finally answered.]

 

"I-I... I'm sorry. My phone was broken. I just got it back." She lied and put on a smile. "Merry Christmas, Unnie." She didn't miss to greet her.

 

[Oh, I was about to tell you that. Merry Christmas also, Joohyun. So Uh, since you finally answered, here's Yoona.] Sunny replied, handing the device to the eager doe-eyed sitting on her bed.

 

[Seohyun-chan!!!] Yoona greeted excitedly, just showing how much she misses her. [How are you doing? We've been trying to contact you. But glad you finally answered. How's Christmas there?]

 

Seohyun couldn't put her happiness at bay, hearing the voice from the doe-eyed. She misses her too but she couldn't say it. "I'm fine. I... It's good. Honestly had fun at the amusement park with my parents. How about you?" tears of joy drops in the corner of her eyes. She took a deep breath and slowly exhales while smiles can't be stopped.

 

[I'm doing so great. Sunny Unnie keeps playing Christmas songs here. And Grandma cooked a lot. I feel so loved and blessed. But quite sad you're not with us.]

 

"Soon, I'll see you." Seohyun is so happy hearing those words from the doe-eyed. She could totally imagine it. "By the way, didn't the doctor have to take your bandage off?" she asks when it crosses her mind.

 

[Actually not yet. But soon, and we'll see the result.] Yoona decided to lie, doesn't want the younger girl to spoil about visions being back. 

 

"I see. What's taking long? Been three months, right?"

 

[Maybe the doctor just wanted to make sure that I'll be fine once the bandages are off. You are taking care of the doll right?]

 

By the mention of the gift she brought back home, Seohyun's head turned to the pillow and she smiles at the doll. "Yeah, it's giving me good sleep and sometimes even scolding me for procrastinating in my studies." she jokes and chuckles at it.

 

[That's good to know. I want to send you a gift again, I hope you don't mind.]

 

"What? Why would I? But... isn't it... too much for you? I mean, you're... recovering from the surgery and... " Seohyun sighs couldn't continue her words.

 

[Nah, I'm fine. Actually it's good for me. I feel bored each day here in the hospital so please anticipate my gift. Sunny Unnie will send it tomorrow. I think next week you'll get it.]

 

"Should I return it?" came Seohyun's playful response earning chuckles from the doe-eyed.

 

[It depends on you. But you'll like it, I'm sure of it. It's a Christmas gift by the way. Hehehe... ] Yoona got a little shy telling the younger girl. Her cheeks are blushing and she could see Sunny is teasingly smiling in the corner of her eyes.

 

"Okay, thank you, Yoona-chan." softly Seohyun says, couldn't help and suppress a smile from ear to ear. 

 

[Where are you right now?]

 

"I'm in my bed. Just got home from the amusement park. Wait, now I know what should I respond to your gift." A sudden idea came in Seohyun's mind and she hastily went to her desk and smile at the portraits she printed earlier with her parents. But she's only planning to send the solo photos.

 

[Chincha? That gives me thrills.] Yoona responded brightly. 

 

"I feel like we're trading gifts. But you started it. It's not good if I just receive from you."

 

[Right. Ugh, I really miss you.] For the second time, Yoona told the younger girl. 

 

Seohyun pause and smile giddily. "I... m-miss you too, Yoona." and she finally said it, feeling like her cheeks are burning from saying those words. But she felt good after letting them out.

 

[Let's talk more

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter