Chapter 6

Unexpected Roommate

8:25 pm

 

“I don't know how I'm going to last the entire year in this room with him I mean look at how close our beds are!” Mingyu was almost yelling and Minghao winced at his volume.

 

Mingyu had decided to take his friend back to the dorm with him as he had glanced over at his roommate conversing with Hoshi and his boyfriend. He’s probably going to hang out with his boyfriend again, Mingyu thought. Maybe they always did hang out after dance, Mingyu wasn't sure, so he decided to just leave with Minghao first.

 

“Okay but that doesn't include all the space you have in the kitchen.” Minghao replied motioning towards it.

“You should've seen how cute he was this morning I swear to you-”

“What about that girl's phone number you got this morning?” Minghao interrupted, he didn't want Mingyu to get even more invested in this boy by talking about him all the time. Move on. Minghao was sitting in Mingyu’s desk chair swiveling himself as the taller boy paced.

“Oh yeah!”

“You gonna call her?”

Mingyu suddenly stopped and looked at his friend, “I don't know.”

“You were excited earlier. Why the hesitation now?” Minghao was curious, when Mingyu was interested in someone he usually went straight in for it, sending the first texts and even asking them out first. He wasn't usually a hesitant guy.

“It's just-”

“It's him isn't it?” Minghao's voice grew quieter now, like he was in his own thoughts.

Mingyu sat down on his bed. “There's just something different about him.”

Minghao came to sit next to his friend, he rested his hand on top of Mingyu’s. “Yeah?”

“But I can't even act on my feelings because, he already has feelings for someone else.”

Mingyu is a good guy. Minghao thought as he watched his friend's expression grow to be more melancholy.

“I understand.” Minghao said, while looking at his sulking best friend. He already has feelings for someone else.

“But I’ll figure out whether I’ll call her later, you came over for us to hang out, what do you want to do?” Mingyu asked, looking excited again, the familiar twinkle appearing in his eyes.

Minghao laughed while looking at his best friend light up again, “Here we should play truth or dare on this app.”

Mingyu smiled, “It’ll be fun!”

 

The two boys had been playing through a few truths and dares now, truths like who was your first kiss and dares of throw this orange outside of your window. They were pointless, but youth is carefree.

 

They were giggling and laughing so much, one would’ve thought they were drunk. The reality was, they were snacking on some chips Mingyu had just put into the cupboard when he moved in and drinking water.

 

“Truth or Dare?” Minghao asked, waiting patiently to press either of them on his phone while Mingyu tapped his chin.

“Dare!” Mingyu felt fearless.

“Okay it says, I dare you to see if you can defeat me in a wrestling match.”

“Hah! I totally could, you don’t even go to the gym!” Mingyu continued to giggle already pushing Minghao down onto his bed.

“Hey I do too go to the gym! Check out these guns.” Minghao tried to flex the little muscle he had on his arms.

“Very funny!” Mingyu laughed and pushed Minghao’s arms down onto his mattress while Minghao tried to push him with his legs.

 

The jingling of keys could not be heard through Mingyu’s obnoxiously loud laugh, but Minghao heard a noise from behind the door. Like keys being inserted into the keyhole.

 

The door opened.

 

Both boys on top of each other immediately stopped their actions and turned towards Wonwoo’s shocked expression at the entrance. The situation was Mingyu holding down Minghao’s arms above him while Minghao’s legs were wrapped around Mingyu’s waist.

 

Mingyu felt all oxygen leave his body.

 

.

 

In the next few seconds, both boys were sitting up on Mingyu’s bed and Mingyu said a rapid “Hello! You’re back!”

Wonwoo was still in shock but had decided to just turn around and close the door. “Hey.” You can’t act like you care Wonwoo. “Sorry, was it wrong timing?”

“No!” Both Mingyu and Minghao said in unison.

Minghao stood up, “We were just playing truth or dare and were wrestling- It probably didn’t look like that but I swear I would never be into this dude, he’s gross.”

Wonwoo thought he didn’t sound sincere, That sure isn’t how it looked during dance practice.

 

Mingyu pouted and looked at his friend, I thought you were going to be my wingman. He whined in his mind. “Anyway, Minghao was just leaving!” Mingyu suddenly announced as he pushed him out the door. “Goodbye!”

 

The door shut again.

 

Silence.

 

“Sorry you walked in on that- You looked so shocked and scared.” Mingyu was mentally screaming once again. I can’t believe he saw that oh my god jesus-

“Yeah don’t worry, I just wanted to come back and read for a bit.” Wonwoo breathed deeply, They were just playing a game...that’s all. Stop overthinking.

“You like books?” Mingyu asked, the adrenaline from the predicament that had just occurred was calming down. Mingyu wanted to know everything about this boy.

“Yeah I do. A lot actually.” Wonwoo replied as he opened a drawer that was filled with novels and other books.

“Wow.”

“I know.” Wonwoo looked at his books fondly and a soft smile grew upon his lips. Like a small daisy, shining in the sun.

 

Mingyu gazed at Wonwoo as he looked at his books, Beautiful. My prince is beautiful.

 

“Okay then I won’t bother you! Read peacefully.” Mingyu smiled sweetly and sat back on his bed.

 

Wonwoo felt himself turn into goo, Mingyu’s smile would never stop affecting him.

 

Wonwoo nodded and took out a book titled, My Sunshine.

 

He smiled to himself and looked over at Mingyu who was color-coding his notes with many different colored highlighters.


My sunshine, Wonwoo thought.