Chapter 4

Unexpected Roommate

9:05 am

Mingyu woke up first as the sun hit his face. He could hardly open his eyes and his alarm had yet to go off. He checked his phone with the small amount of vision he had and saw it was time to get ready for the day.

About five minutes passed before he heard an unfamiliar noise.

Wonwoo’s alarm was going off. Mingyu was bringing a glass of orange juice up to his lips when he turned to see a boy suddenly sitting up in his bed rubbing his eyes softly and had the cutest bed hair he had ever seen. Holy . He had to stop himself from spitting out his entire drink. It’s too early in the morning for him to be this cute- Oh my god. Mingyu breathed in before speaking. Calm yourself.

“Good morning Wonwoo!” Mingyu chirped. “I made myself some eggs would you like some? I made enough for two!”

Wonwoo got out of bed, and looked towards Mingyu’s direction. “Eggs?” His sleepy voice sounded like music to Mingyu’s ears. He found himself walking over to the kitchen table where Mingyu was sitting. Wonwoo’s eyes were still half closed.

He’s adorable. “Yes?” Mingyu asked as he slid a plate of eggs and orange juice in front of Wonwoo.

Wonwoo began to eat sleepily and Mingyu let out a breath he did not know he was holding.

“So what class do you have today? Maybe we could walk together?” Mingyu asked cautiously. He didn’t want to overstep any boundaries but he was also a people person and loved interacting and being around others.

Wonwoo was more awake now that he had eaten and sipped at his glass of orange juice, When did that get there? “I have chemistry first.”

“Let’s go together!” Mingyu said excitedly, How did I not see this stunning boy before?

“We both have chemistry?” Wonwoo asked and suddenly his heart skipped a beat. Wait- that sounded weird.

Mingyu broke the silence between them before it got awkward, “Yeah we do…” He cleared his throat, “So let’s go together!” Mingyu was beaming and Wonwoo didn’t refuse.

 

 

On their way to class, Wonwoo noticed Mingyu walked with a skip and almost commented on how peppy the taller was.

 

“So you didn’t have a roommate the entire first week?!” The curious puppy Mingyu asked.

“Yeah, when I found out I was getting one I was excited.”

“Was?” Mingyu got worried. Was my flirting that bad? Wonwoo had kind of brushed it off though-

“What? No, I’m glad you’re my roommate you seem fun.”

“I am fun!” Mingyu smiled his dazzling smile and Wonwoo swore butterflies had just started flying around his heart. He looked away.

“We even have a class together so it’s cool.” I don’t know how I didn’t notice you there though. Wonwoo thought as they made it to the classroom. Don’t be silly Wonwoo, Jun is your boyfriend of course you wouldn’t notice another boy. He reminded himself.

 

As they both walked in Wonwoo was half anticipating Mingyu to sit next to him. But he didn’t.

Since the first week of school had already passed it was safe to say the students already had an unassigned assigned seat. But still, there was always people moving around. Wonwoo pouted and went to go sit down in his seat next to another student who usually sat there. He noticed Mingyu sat a few desks in front of him on the other side of the classroom, next to a girl. Oh.

 

Chemistry flew by and soon the lecture had ended. Wonwoo slung his backpack strap over his shoulder as he received a text from Jun and opened it.

 

From: My Junhui 11:50am

Hey babe, I’m waiting for you outside of your class.

 

Wonwoo looked up from his phone to find his boyfriend standing outside waving. He smiled at him and walked towards the door, but as he walked past all the desks he couldn’t help but look towards Mingyu.

 

Mingyu was talking to the girl he had been sitting next to, in very close proximity, and he could see Mingyu was smirking at her and flashing his smile while she kept giggling in her ridiculously high voice, twirling her hair between her fingers. Is he flirting with her? Wonwoo couldn’t believe what he was seeing. I thought he was gay? Is he biual? I thought he was interested in me? Wonwoo almost ran into a wall before his boyfriend pulled him towards him, “What’s wrong Wonwoo?” Jun asked as he tried to follow his boyfriend’s gaze. He glanced at Wonwoo and then towards the boy they had seen last night. His new roommate. “Babe?” Jun poked at his boyfriend’s shoulder. Is he looking at him?

Wonwoo finally heard Jun’s voice and lingered on Mingyu smiling at the girl before turning towards him, “Yeah?”

“You okay?” Jun looked towards Mingyu and Wonwoo felt his stomach flip over. No Jun, don’t look over there. Wonwoo pulled at his boyfriend’s sleeve and they left for lunch. They always had lunch together after this class.

“Yeah I’m okay, chemistry was just really draining today.”

A lie.

 

Chemistry today was simple and he spent forty, maybe sixty, percent of it, glancing over at Mingyu who seemed to be writing down very intricate notes as he had many different color highlighters on his desk. Not that Wonwoo noticed.

“Okay, I could review with you if you ever have any trouble though alright?” Jun reminded.

Wonwoo’s heart dropped, he remembered Mingyu offering to help him during dance last night. The way his eyes sparkled, his warm demeanor. I wish- Wonwoo didn’t want to think about how much he would’ve rather had Mingyu smile at him than at that girl.

“Yeah I'll tell you if I have any confusion.”

 

Another lie.

 

Wonwoo was confused at this very moment about everything he was feeling and wasn't telling Jun a thing. Jun hummed in response and walked with his boyfriend to buy lunch. He seems distraught. Jun thought to himself and as he was about to reach out to hold Wonwoo’s hand he settled for keeping his hands in his pockets instead.

 

Wonwoo’s empty hands were covered by his sleeves, but Jun couldn't clearly see his heart on them.

 

 

“I scored a phone number with that girl that sits next to me in chemistry today!” Mingyu announced as he sat down to eat with his best friend.

Minghao scoffed, “Your biuality is showing, just yesterday you were into Wonwoo, don't tell me she's like a rebound to make you feel better about yourself because you know that's wrong Kim Mingyu.”

“Come on Hao, you knew I thought she was cute.”

Thought.” Minghao repeated back to him. “Past tense.”

“Think! I think she's cute, maybe I'll text her tomorrow or something.”

Minghao sighed, “Whatever- don't end up hurting people just because you don't want to hurt yourself.”

I just need a distraction. I'm going to be living with Wonwoo… all year, Mingyu thought. “I don't want to hurt anyone.” Mingyu replied. It was true, he didn't want to hurt Wonwoo’s current relationship with his boyfriend and he didn't want to hurt this girl. He only wants to make sure everyone, including himself, feel comfortable.

 

Mingyu made sure, to wear his heart on his sleeves.