Petunia

Stop playing, who gave you the right?

Zhengting sighed, sitting down on the couch. He had been babysitting some of his neighbours' kids, Justin and Quanzhe. Both were complete angels, but god knew they could be the devil just as much as they were pure innocent souls. They were really nice kids, and he liked them. It wasn't like they were much younger than him, they were 14 and 15 and he was only 20. Even with teenage angst and whatnot, they were bearable. They could just be too much for him at times like these. 

 

At their age, they really didn't need to be babysat. Zhengting's job, really, was making sure that they did nothing too crazy like the teenagers they were and accidentally killed themselves. To him they were more like his friends, or maybe like cousins.

 

Times like these when Quanzhe dared Justin to eat the spiciest instant noodles in world history, without anything to help get rid of the spiciness. It was not going well, unless your definition of well included a hysterically laughing Quanzhe and Justin blowing "flames" as if he were a dragon and screaming just because, well, it was Justin. Zhengting wouldn't have expected anything less from him. 

 

This went on for a little more until the kids' parents had gotten home for work and Zhengting, relieved but also oddly disappointed, went home. 

 

He got home to the house he was renting a room in. The house was owned by an older couple that often reminded Zhengting of his own parents. He had always wanted to come to this collage since he started dancing. He expected to live in the dorms but luckily everything worked out for him and instead of getting a crappy dorm room, complete with roommate, he got a room at this house. He had met Mrs. Cai when he first came to town and he had helped her our with some heavy gardening supplies and she had invited him to eat with them. Zhengting, being polite, did as she said and the couple offered him rent at their house. He paid them for rent but also did odd jobs for them here and there when they needed the help. Now they were somewhat his second pair of parents. The older couple were quite rich due to Mr. Cai's business, but they didn't have many people around them after being fooled by many people who wanted their money and not their company. 

 

Mr. and Mrs. Cai had a son who was roughly around his age, they said. His name was Cai Xukun and there were pictures of him all over the house. His parents never stopped talking about him, how perfect he was and how smart he was and who he and Zhengting would get along so well. Zhengting wasn't so sure if the last statement would be true. He had been living with the Cais for two years or so now and he had never even come for a visit. What kind of son even was that?

 

When he went in the front door, he was met by an excited Mrs. Cai putting her phone down on the coffee table. Minding his manners, he bowed to the older lady and she welcomed him in, as always.

 

"Zhengting, you do know that we have a son right?" She said. Zhengting had guessed that might have been the source of her excitement. Her son seemed to be her pride and joy, which was understandable because he was their only child.

 

"Yes Auntie, called Xukun, is he not?" Zhengting answered, wondering what about the infamous Xukun it was this time. He had heard all sorts of storys about him already, ranging from embarrassing baby and toddler stories to how proud she was of him for going to business school and taking over the business after Mr. Cai.

 

"Ah yes. Kunkun is coming for a visit this weekend!" Well then. Zhengting hadn't expected that but it had bound to happen some time in his four year's stay. He had already been though 2 years and it hadn't happened yet so it was due to happen just about now.

 

"How nice!" Zhengting tried to act genuinely happy, falling short at the genuine part. "I'd love to finally meet your son, Auntie," Fortunately, the older lady seems too immersed in her happiness to notice Zhengting's lack of one, and he was relived since he didn't want to be rude.  

 

Zhengting walked into his room and hung up his backpack and jacket, then sat down at his desk seat, deep in thought. Hopefully, Xukun or apparently, Kunkun, would be tolerable. Zhengting got along with most people but from what kind of son would not even come visit his parents for two years? a horrible one, that's what. Zhengting made it a habit to go back and visit his parents as often as possible, especially on holidays.

 

Time flies quicker when you try and hold it back, and that was exactly what happened to Zhengting. 

 

He didn't want to meet Xukun. Judging from the pictures and stories, he was really just an egotistic, self absorbed . Sure, definitely a good looking . But still a complete . Straight people, Zhengting thought, shaking his head unconsciously.

 

Next thing he knew, it was the weekend. He had tried to get out of this in any way possible. "Babysitting" Justin and Quanzhe, Doing homework. Somehow the universe seemed to want him to meet Xukun very badly. So meet Xukun he had to do. He was sitting in his room, with his books out and laptop up and convincing himself that he was doing homework. His parents hadn't liked the idea of him being only a dance major so he had to take some other classes. Pointless if you ask him, but he would listen to his parents. 

 

His wish that somehow the old couple forgot about him went ungranted when they called his name a little after the doorbell rang. He cursed under his breath and hoped that he looked presentable at the least and headed out of his room, closing the door behind him.

 

Xukun wasn't very different from what he had expected him to look like. His hair was dyed a bright blond but he could see his roots, growing out in black. He had a single dangly earring hanging from his left ear. He was quite tall but not as tall as him, Zhengting noted. He seemed to be wearing some makeup but it was hard to tell. He was smirking a little. Definitely generic rich boy, Zhengting thought. His expensive generic boy clothes only added to the thought.

 

"Kunkun, Zhengting is the nice boy who helps us out a lot, I've told you about him a bit, haven't I? Zhengting, this is our son Xukun," Mrs. Cai said excitedly.

 

"Nice to meet you, I'm Zhu Zhengting," Zhengting offered his hand for a handshake, purely out of habit and manners.

 

"Cai Xukun," Xukun replied, shaking his hand and giving Zhengting a smirk. Oh, they definitely weren't going to get along. 

 

Everyone sat down in the living room and had a long conversation about Xukun and his business school or whatever it was. Zhengting wasn't paying much attention. He was quite relieved when Mr. Cai got a phone call and Mrs. Cai decided that was enough talking. The relief didn't last long however, when he realized that he was now alone with Xukun.

 

"Zhu Zhengting," Xukun said, over enunciating each syllable. Zhengting merely looked at him and raised an eyebrow. " I can already tell we're going to get along so well, aren't we?" Zhengting rolled his eyes. He did not want to be flirted with by a straight boy. Was it that easy to tell that he was gay, or had the Cais told their son?

 

"Uh huh," He replied, voice deeply laced with sarcasm. "We're going to be best friends, obviously." Zhengting's reply seemed to strike interest in Xukun. He smirked wider. 

 

"Why of course," Zhengting really didn't like that tone he was using. Just then, Mrs. Cai had called Kunkun over and Zhengting could be spared from this torture and go back to doing pretend homework. "Well, I'll see you around, then," Xukun said with a wink before departing.

 

Zhengting went back to his room and made sure his door was closed and locked before he pulled out his phone and FaceTimed his hometown friends. Hyungseop picked up pretty quickly and Zhengting could see that Euiwoong was there with him. It relieved him to see them, but just as much, it reminded him of why he was having to call them in the first place. He sighed.

 

"Hyungseoppie, Euiwoongie, cheer me up." He sighed.

 

"What happened?" Euiwoong chirped, trying to get into the camera's view properly.

 

"Ugh, Mr. and Mrs. Cai's son came home today and he is such a boy. I swear, he was trying to flirt with me, and he's straight. He'll flirt anything as long as it'll have a reaction." To make it worse, he's hot, Zhengting thought but of course didn't say out loud.

 

"Rough," Hyungseop replied. The two had gotten used to Zhengting's whininess and were indifferent to it. They let him rant until he had to go because his phone was almost out of battery. He said goodbye hand hung up, feeling a little better. He plugged his phone and sat back down at his desk, now actually focusing on his work.

 

His productivity was broken by a knock on his door about a hour later. Groaning, Zhengting got up to open the door since it had been locked. When he opened it, he came face to face (and a little too close for comfort) to none other than Cai Xukun, still with a smirk on his face. 

 

"We're eating out, we're leaving in 15 minutes. Better not be late, Princess," He said and promptly walked away, leaving Zhengting to wonder what the just happened. Still in a weird daze, he changed out of his comfy clothes and into a nicer outfit and headed out.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think so far?