Emergency

Thank You For Being Born

February 14, 2018.

Valentine’s Day.

Being single it meant nothing to him.

Had never meant anything. And he made sure to let the world know by posting it on social media

So it was a day of supposed calm and online shopping for Hongbin. He had finally measure his room and calculate the space he had for the baby stuff. With a sigh of resignation he had made the decision that if he wants to have the baby crib in his room, he will have to move his gaming station outside to the living room. That had been his only option, since they do not have a spare room to turn into a nursery. As idols, their clothes room are very important, that being a shared space between the members and their stylist team.

The day had gone smoothly, he had managed to buy a small bathtub that would fit in their bathroom and kitchen counter. Hakyeon hyung had told him, it was quite convenient to bathe the baby in the kitchen for the earlier part of their infanthood. He has no argument to rebut that and refuse to bathe his baby in the kitchen for as long as it’s not in that actual kitchen sink, since when his oldest sister had her first baby he was too busy to visit long and often, and he had not been involved in the baby bathing process.

He was about to order the baby crib online, but decided against it. He thought it would be nice to actually go to a store and look at the actual thing. To get the sense of the scale of the item. So he called his manager to see when he can drag one of them, preferable with baby and furniture building experience to IKEA to look at cribs and changing station. Hah, Hongbin finally look up what a changing station is, and he decided it’s a handy thing to have for storage as well.

It was just past midday and Hongbin was having lunch in between Overwatch matches, trying to enjoy the privilege of having his gaming station in his room before he had to move it out to their living space. That was when his phone rings.

“Hello.. Eunjung, what’s up?”

“Are you seated?”

“I am. Why? What’s wrong? Are you okay? Is Red Bean okay?”

“I don’t want you to panic okay. Calm down, it’s going to be fine. But right now I’m on my way to the hospital….”

“Why are you going to the hospital? You don’t have an appointment. Is everything okay?”

“I don’t know yet, but I was at my lunch break and I was bleeding… So my partner is driving to the hospital, we are taking her car.”

“What do you mean you are bleeding?”

“Well, I went to the bathroom and there were blood on my . It’s a little heavier than just spotting. So I am a little worried. But I am not feeling any pain other than the usual. There’s no cramping no twisting. So I hope I am clear from miscarriage…”

“What do you mean miscarriage?! EUNJUNG!!”

“No, no, no, I said I have a good chance that it is not miscarriage, because I don’t feel any pain. It’s just that I’m worried, so I called the hospital and they say I should just come in as soon as possible. So I am on my way there.”

Hongbin can hear the slight panic in her voice, in the way that she was trying to rationalize her situation to try to get it way from the worst case scenario. His heart was racing, he doesn’t know what to do. He was so scared the moment she said bleeding, because as far as he knows, pregnant woman are not supposed to bleed. At all.

“Hongbin-ah, can you please come to the hospital? I don’t want to do this alone. After driving me, I am sending my partner back to the university, both of us can’t be away.”

“Yes, yes of course. I’m going now, text me where you are okay. We will be fine. Both of you will be alright.”

“Yeah, we’re fine. We will be fine.” It was the quiet prayer they say to each other. Hoping for the best of the situation.

Then he hung up. His heart still racing as he change out of his tattered home clothes, trying to find his shoes and wallet and coat and watch. In the process of trying to gather his wit, he had made a lot of ruckus.

“Hongbin-ah, what are you doing? Why are you knocking down everything?!” Jaehwan shouted from his room. He was getting ready to go out.

“Gotto get ready fast, I’m going to the hospital. And I think I will be with Eunjung tonight if she is discharged. If she is not I might stay in the hospital”

“HAH?! WHAT HAPPEN?!” Jaehwan ran out of his room, worry painted in his eyes. He was still in the middle of getting ready, pants in one hand comb in the other. The general view was just hilarious.

“We don’t know yet, I will tell you as soon as I know.” Hongbin manage to shove his feet into socks and shoes and his arms into a coat. “I’m going now.”

He pretty much jammed the button of their elevator trying to get it to move faster and then bolted out of the front door trying to catch a taxi as fast as possible. He thought about taking the car, but honestly right now he is in no condition to drive. He is too worried and too anxious. When he finally got a taxi, he gave the address of the hospital to the driver. He felt sorry for the driver ahjussi, because Hongbin was hurrying his so much. Causing stress to the driver in the lunch hour rush.

During the car ride he had opened the 6 VIXX group chat.

Guys, I’m heading to the hospital now.

Eunjung called me earlier, she said she had a bleeding.

Please pray that everything is alright.

Please pray that both Red Bean and Eunjung is fine.

N-Hyung : OMG!! It’s so scary. She is already over 20 week right?!

N-Hyung : I hope everything is alright.

N-Hyung : Keep us updated Bean.

PaboShik : Damn man, I hope everything is alright with the little baby.

PaboShik : And mommy too.

Jaehwan : Binn-ah keep us updated okay.

Jaehwan : Tell us if you need anything.

Jaehwan : I can bring things to you if you need them.

Daeguni-Hyung : I will ask all of the cast member to pray for Red Bean.

Daeguni-Hyung : Wait, can I do that?

Daeguni-Hyung : I mean they don’t know who Red Bean is.

Daeguni-Hyung : Nah, I will just tell them it’s my niece.

Daeguni-Hyung : Tell me the address of the hospital. I will go there after the show.

Thank you guys.

I swear I’m so scared.

And , why are there traffic?!

Go back to your ing office, stop driving around during work hours!!

Hyung, you don’t have to force to come.

I will tell you as soon as I know what is happening.

I really hope that Red Bean I okay.

I’m at the hospital now, I’ll get back to you later okay.

After what feels like forever, the taxi pulled up in front of the hospital. And Hongbin quickly pay the driver. Telling him to keep the change and apologize for his trouble. He checked for any text from Eunjung, because he doesn’t know where she is.

About 5 minutes earlier she had texted him that she is currently in the Emergency Room. Some test are being done to her, and if she is not there, then they have probably moved her to the maternity ward.

So Hongbin ran to the doors of the emergency room. This is the first time he had enter the building from the public entrance. Having been entering through the private entrances to avoid being spotted. This time around being spotted and photographed was the least of his worry. He quickly walk to the receptionist table, hoping that his legs were longer so he can reach it faster. He almost tripped on an old man, thank God he was able to stop himself before walking straight to the poor man. This gave him time to breath, to catch his breath, to attempt to regulate his heart rate.

“Excuse me, can you point me to a patient named Choi Eunjung? She should’ve just gotten here.”

“May I know what relation do you have with her? I cannot just release the information to anyone.”

Hongbin almost slipped-up and just said to the worker that he is her husband and the father of the baby. He was about to reveal his position and lie to the lady at the same time. But he quickly come up with a white lie. “I am a friend, she called me earlier to accompany her, since she is alone.”

The lady the look down to the screen hidden behind the reception counter, typing in things into the system. Then she made a phone call, with hushed voice. Before finally looking up and telling Hongbin to follow her. She got up as she waved another one of her colleague to take her place manning the counter as she Hongbin to where he hoped Eunjung is. He was taken quite deep into the Emergency Room. They had passed the rooms with the lines of beds where people usually are. With each step the lady lead him through, the deeper they walk into the ER the more worried he got. The more hopeless he felt. Then the lady turn, slide open a door to call out is anyone really expecting a man named Lee Hongbin. After hearing a positive answer from beyond the door, only then she let him in.

Inside the room was a few beds, but only one was occupied. There lay Eunjung in a blue hospital gown, she was laying down and talking to someone in a medical coat. She don’t look pale, but quite drained and de-energized. He quickly made his way to her and take her hand in his. She acknowledge him with a squeeze of her hand.

“So we need to move you to the maternity ward to be able to conduct further test. But since you do not experience any pain and your bleeding is not severe I would not worry too much about the baby. But from what we can see if that the bleeding is not caused by any external factor such as pathogens or virus, the result of your blood test will be sent to your doctor. We are currently contacting the maternity ward, and your doctor to make sure she is ready for you. I wish you an easy delivery mam.” Then the doctor left Eunjung’s bed side table. All through the explanation, Hongbin had been running his thumb back and forth on the back of Eunjung’s hand, offering some kind of comfort.

He turned to look at her. “So how are you feeling?”

“A little weak, but I don’t know how much of it is actually because of the bleeding, how much of it is me being panicked and worried. Thank you for making it here so quickly. What were you doing?”

“Oh I was just having lunch at home, I have a recording a little later, but don’t worry about it. I can do it some other day.”

“Are you sure it’s okay? I don’t want to get in the way of your work. You already have to pull the comeback forward because of all this”

“Don’t worry about it. Red Bean and your health comes first. The other members can record first.”

“I’m really scared Bin-ah, I jump to the worst possible conclusion. I thought I would lose Red Bean.”

Hongbin wrapped his arms around her, letting her head rest on his shoulder. “I hope everything will be alright.”

“I’m still scared, before you got here, the doctor told me that if the bleeding doesn’t stop it might just be a more serious problem. And I don’t think the bleeding has stopped.” She said right into his ear. The grip that she had on his back got tighter. “I’m sorry if I made you worry, with walking so much. But I ask if they could give me a more private room. You know so we can avoid being seen.”

Hongbin was touched by her consideration, amazed that she had thought it through even when she was in the middle of a scary emergency. He whispered his thanks as they pulled apart.

“Excuse me, Miss Choi? We are ready to transfer you to the maternity ward.” Said a nurse, she was pushing a wheel chair.

Then slowly they transferred Eunjung off the hospital cot, Hongbin carrying most of her weight. Making sure Eunjung had her clothes and purse. Then Hongbin took control of pushing the wheel chair, the nurse walking in front of them.

They got to a familiar floor of the Hospital, and Dr. Min is already waiting for them. “Miss Choi, Mr. Lee. Let’s get you checked up.” And she led the two to a different room, not her usual office. The room appears to be an actual hospital room that Eunjung would be staying at. “We will do the examination here. I would like to avoid moving you around too much, and this examination is going to be a little more invasive that usual. I have to scan inside of your . I would love to not to it, as it might risk aggravating the cervix, but I’m afraid it’s necessary to know the whole situation.”

Then they moved Eunjung to the bed as Dr. Min is setting up the equipment. Some energy had returned to Eunjung, but Hongbin is not letting her move too much on her own, he secretly enjoys the way she is leaning into him.

“Alright, we can get started now. Do you want Mr. Lee to stay in the room?” the doctor asked before beginning the examination.

“Umm…..” Eunjung hesitated.

“It might be a little graphic, as there is a chance that you are still bleeding right now.”

“Can he stay here without seeing---- you know… everything?”

“Yes, Mr. Lee can stay by your head, and if he is feeling nauseated, he can always leave the room.”

“Hongbin-ah… will you stay?” Eunjung looked up, eyes pleading to Hongbin.

“Of course.” And he took his position standing next to her, her sweaty nervous hand in his. As the nurse that helped them before covered Eunjung’s lower half with a paper blanket.

For once Dr. Min does not say anything as she was examining Eunjung’s abdomen. Just pressing and gliding the ultrasound handle across, occasionally pressing a few buttons on the machine. The she asked Eunjung to bend her knees up a little so they can began the l examination. She adjusted Eunjung’s position a little before going under the paper cover and positioning the thinned transducer.

Hongbin felt a squeeze on his hand, and Eunjung whispered, “She’s in there now.” Honestly Hongbin does not know how to react nor how to think.

“O….kay?”

“Miss Choi, are you feeling any pain right now??”

“No, doctor. Just a little uncomfortable.”

“Does it feel like a light cramp?”

“Yes… is it something bad? Is everything going to be okay?”

“No, if it’s only a slight cramp that’s fine. Alright, the examination is finished. I might need a while to process these and tell you an exact diagnosis. So for the mean time I want you to just rest okay?” as she removed the probe from within Eunjung and wipe it, the tissue came out a little bloodied.

Then the nurse was packing up the machine and cover Eunjung again, tucking a soft woolen blanket around her.

“But are we going to be okay? The baby and I?”

“The odds are looking pretty well on you Miss Choi, it’s not life threatening, for both of you. But I really wants you to rest, I would like for you to stay in the hospital for a couple of days.”

Hongbin release a breath he did know he was holding back, he was so tense he can feel his abs protesting.

“I would get back to the two of you a little later alright? I would need time to study this and future treatments. But in a little while a nurse will come in and hook you to a drip, there will be some medication to ease the bleeding. Don’t worry Miss Choi, around 5% of pregnancy in the second trimester had your condition. I’d see you a little later. Please tell the nurse if you’d like a meal.” Then the doctor left the room, along with the nurse that was pushing out the machine.

“A couple of days huh?”

“Yeah, she said she wants to keep you in for at least that much.”

“Hongbin-ah, I was so scared. While I was waiting in the ER. I was so sure I had a miscarriage, I was panicking. I tried very hard to connect to Red Bean, but I swear I don’t feel like I was pregnant anymore. I tried so hard to be positive but I was so close to breaking. My friend was there, but she was also a little freaked, because she was in the bathroom with me when I found out I bleed.”

“Where is your friend btw?”

“I sent her back to the campus, and to be honest I am glad I did, even though I had to be alone for a little bit before you got here. But I swear her energy was so nervous, it wasn’t making me feel any better.”

Then a knock on the door was heard, before a nurse step into the room. Carting around a drip hanger and some equipment. She asked Eunjung how she is feeling, and whether or not the room is comfortable, and making sure Eunjung already ate as she worked on attaching the IV to Eunjung. After making sure that everything is working fine, the nurse excuse herself, stating that an afternoon snack will be delivered in a couple of hours for the both of them.

“You should rest, you’ve had a lot today. I will wake you up when Dr. Min is here.” He planted a kiss on