Dares

Thank You For Being Born

Nirvana release, VIXX LR complete Japanese Album release, Titanic, Twinkle Twinkle Hearing, VIXX LR Japanese Tour, Real-Live. Just some of the things that had kept the brothers apart. People are hardly ever home.

So the moment that all of their schedules concluded at the same time, Hongin, Wonshik and Jaehwan forced themselves to go out and be at each other’s company. It was the day after Wonshik’s concert and Jaehwan’s last show. They decided that they would grab a bite to eat and then settle on a bar somewhere discreet before making their way home. They had hoped that other members can join them too, but Taekwoon still had stages for the next month and were ordered to get at least 8 hours of sleep a day from the show director to protect the quality of voice, the granpa had to skip the drinking, Hakyeon had a radio show to talk through and Hyuk had a rehearsal for a dance piece he was publishing soon. But when we offered him to join them after his rehearsal was done, he came up with another thing he had to do, Hongbin suspected it’s just excuses to not see him. So that leaves 3/6 of VIXX.

Jaehwan had been devastated to know that his last show was during the same day of Wonshik’s last day of concert, their time on stage overlapping. Back when the date for Wonshik’s solo had been decided the Titanic stage was already in full swing and ticket had gone on sale, thus he cannot re negotiate his contract so that he will be able to not attend the show and have someone else play his role. But don’t say that Lee Jaehwan did not try.

This is the first day of Wonshik’s freedom. He was given a break until the end of the week, so he can enjoy his birthday in peace. Break for Kim Wonshik meaning that Jellyfish had to talk to the other members of Groovlin –Wonshik’s crew- to change the key combination of their studio office and not tell Wonshik, because that man will try to get back to work before he was supposed to.

 

So the night started with a massive dinner. Jaehwan was hell bent of buying them dinner. He said he felt bad about missing Wonshik’s concert and have to make up for it anyhow. So they went to a grill place and Jaehwan pulled out all of the stops on ordering the juiciest meat for Wonshik that had been though a meat-celibacy for the last 3 months due to his obsessive attention to his diet. To be honest Hongbin did not think it was necessary, since Wonshik is someone who is naturally thin, so he will not accumulate much fatty layers on top his muscles, thus not ruining the muscle definition. But alas his friend insisted on a very dry lean bulking method to prepare for the strip show that some people call his solo concert.

So the meat piled on their table, and it had the desired effect. Wonshik’s eyes sparkles and Hongbin sure there were a few tears that was threatening to fall. Seriously, Wonshik had been crying too much lately. How Wonshik still have this effect and excitement at seeing meat even after the celebratory meat fest he has with his dance crew last night was beyond him. Initially Hongbin had insisted that he too pay, but he was refused in cold blood.

Jaehwan had said, “Ya, Appa Hongbin, you are about to be very poor soon, just go save your money.”

Hongbin looked at him in confusion, sure he does not make as much money as Jaehwan and Wonshik, but he is by no means poor. Nor going to be poor soon.

“Aish, you’re going to have a baby. They are expensive, you also needs to get many insurance and started a college saving for Red Bean.”

That warmed his heart, that the members are already starting to think about Red Bean past the mere  novelty of being born and be cute, but actually his/her future. On the outside, Jaehwan may look childish and more often than not he acts so, with his short temper and clinginess. But on rare moments like this he shows that he actually is a hyung, by thinking about the wellbeing of his juniors.

So they dived into their food, Jaehwan in charge of grilling and Wonshik in charge on at every single bit he took. That man really does a very unhealthy relationship with his meat. As the dinner goes on, the drink poured on. Ever since the last time Hongbin drank in a large amount and ended up with news of a baby, he had been avoiding drinking casually. Monitoring his intake strictly. He no longer trust his ability to gauge whether or not he is drunk. So Hongbin is the one in charge of refilling their soju glasses.

As the night goes on, Hongbin who was seated next to Jaehwan who was seated across from Wonshik had a front row seat on how his friend was looking at their main vocal. Eyes alight, cheekbones pushed high and dusted with a little color from his tipsiness and the heat from the grill, nose crinkling with what can only be a sign of adoration. The kind of look that Hongbin knew too well. The kind of look that Hongbin always try to intercept. Because that look means that Wonshik is no longer in full control of his consciousness, let alone his emotions, and it’s threatening to spill over and show.

These are the moments that everyone in the group trying to stop before something happen. As much as fans want to believe in the level on intimacy that they have with each other in true to a deeper root, most of them are not. Most of their touches with each other are based on clowning around of pure feeling of brotherhood and the need to protect and crave of protection. But between Wonshik and Jaehwan, it was not as far from what their fans hoped. Or at least in a way.

Soon they pulled themselves out of the restaurant and made their way to the nearby bar, to talk and drink some more. A moment of celebration in their lives, that they had made it this far this early. Or the fact that have made it at all. On their way there, Wonshik had been giggling a tad too much, with his heightened alcohol level. In this state he found every single thing that Jaehwan did adorable and in need of praising. And Jaehwan was in no power to resist and kept on piling the cutesiness, with every adoring giggle from Wonshik, his smile gets higher.

When they settles in the bar, their seating arrangement change, Wonshik had planted himself next to Jaehwan on the booth and Hongbin sat across from them. Their conversation was easy, as it always was amongs the 3 of them. They were close in age, to a point where Jaehwan doesn’t feel like he is older somehow. Sometimes he even consider that amongst the three of them it’s Wonshik that is the most mature. But hey, here he is the only one going to be a father and Wonshik is the one giggling like a school girl in love, though he might as well be.

At this point the concept for their comeback is nearly done, the costumes were designed and the characters were set. They were at the point of deciding the overall look for each member, while Wonshik was still clawing though his brain for new ideas and songs. That is also one of the reason why he had been put on a break, so that he can get new perspective in filing in songs for the new album. Refresh his ears from the continuous obsessive ways he process all of their arrangements. Since it’s a full album this time around, it’s a lot more work and at this point only half of their track list is finalized.

“Binn-ah, I dare you to do something new for the come back.” Jaehwan said after a gulp of his beer soju combo. “I have been reading comments on the fan café, and your hair colors had been a running joke. We haven’t even announce the comeback and they are already predicting what we will look like. I swear Starlight are something else.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“Lee Hongbin, I dare you to dye your hair pink!”

“I already did that before. Think of something more original please.”

“Right… you did pink already. Alright, I dare you to have a light baby blue hair, since you did light baby pink already.” Next to Jaewhan Wonshik nodded in excitement, agreeing with the idea.

“What do I get out of it?” Hongbin poked, not wanting to give in the comfortable brown that easily. He very much enjoy not having to worry about re touching his roots every month, that is the reason why Wonshik dyed his hair black again not long after their Shangri-la release.

“Uuuhhh………….” Jaehwan look around, trying to offer some benefit to Hongbin.

“Here, I tell you what, let’s make this a bet. We all do it. If you win, you keep being boring. If you lose, you dye your hair blue.” Wonshik rescued the man he just wrapped his arm around in the pretense of leaning in closer to Hongbin. “To make it fair, we both will do it too.”

“Hey, that’s fun!”

“Okay, what’s the wager?”

“Lee Hongbin, I dare you to get that girl right there to buy you a drink. And don’t think about cheating!!”

“HEY!! That’s not fair!! You want me to flirt with her? Dude, you know I hate like that!”

“If it’s easy, it won’t be a dare!” Jaehwan defended the rapper. Both were leaning on their table, face expectant and challenging, both uniformly wiggle their eyebrows at him, it’s comical really, Jaehwan’s brows are not far from caterpillar like while Wonshik barely has any without makeup on.

With a sigh he reluctantly got up, and approach the girl Wonshik had pointed at, she was sitting alone on the bar. He really don’t know what to do, Hongbin had never been into this, and has always been bad at this. He was never comfortable with using his looks to get people to bend to his will.

“Hey, you alone tonight?” he tried.

The girl looked up from her drink, looked at him and take his form up and down. “That was a really boring start, but you’re cute. I will let it slide.” She seemed to be interested, shifting in her stool to face him.

“Um… So… have you had these friend that are so annoying, you want to strangle them?”

“Yes, absolutely.”

“But then you realize you love them too much? And your life would be boring without those idiots?”

She giggled, “Yes yes, I know what you mean. Aren’t they just the worse? They keep you in and just never let go.”

“Yeah, so for me it’s those two.” He pointed over his shoulder to their booth, then turned to look at them. And true to their characterization about being weird, they are waving back at him. At the antics the girl laughed. “But they are cute too, wow. Attractive men really do hang out with attractive men huh.”

“Well, the charm really faded after about 10 minutes.” She shot them another glance, assessing. “So, do you have any idea how I can get rid of them?”

That seemed to get the conversation going for the two, Hongbin was getting her attention and able to drag himself through the conversation. So he made himself comfortable and sat on the stool next to her. And he was about to get that drink until she slides her hand up his thigh, and moving in closer.

“What if we have one more drink and then we get out of this place? I will help you get rid of them at least for tonight.” She whispered in his each.

Instead of warming up to her idea and his nearing victory and avoiding blue hair, Hongbin froze. This was far too familiar for him to be comfortable with, this was the telltale sign of another drunken . She was going to be another Eunjung, and he just couldn’t take it. So he removed her hand from his thigh and got up. Thank her for the attention and apologizing to have wasted her 15 minutes, and instead order her a drink to be billed to his table. Then wished her a good evening before heading back to his booth. His heart on his throat and his head swimming.

“WHAT! LEE HONGBIN YOU ALMOST HAD HER.” Jaehwan being unnecessarily loud as usual. “I mean, yeah I want you to get the blue hair, but damn.”

Wonshik had a grin across his small jaw “Lee Hongbin, we hereby sentence you to blue-hair-dom.”

Hongbin thinks it was a worth sacrifice than having to stay in that conversation. Because honestly he had felt very guilty. He felt like he was luring this girl into the world of whirlwind and sacrifice he had dragged Eunjung into. That was just too much for his head to handle.

He tried to shake it out of his system. “Come on, it’s your turn now.” Nodding to Jaehwan from behind his beer bottle.

“Lee Jaehwan I dare you to do 3 cartwheels in a row. If you fail to land on anything else but your feet, we are piercing your ears. Tonight. Right after this.” Wonshik challenged.

“Aaaahh… Shikk-ah, I’ve been drinking!” Jaehwan whined, once again pulling out all the stops on trying to be cute to get a lighter challenge. Wonshik’s resolve looked like it was crumbling, but all he did was squeeze Jaehwan’s chin.

“That’s why it’s a challenge, my lovely Jyannie. If it’s easy, why bother.” Honey dripping from his words.

“Alright, but if I break anything. I blame it on you.”

“Enough talk Lee Jaehwan” Hongbin hurry his hyung along, one part wanting to see Jaehwan attempt a cartwheel, one part wanting to get the heavy flirting away from him.

So, Jeahwan stand in the spaces between their booth and the tables, securing himself a strip of clear floor on the only halfway filled bar. He raised his hands above his head to prepare for the move. Mind you, Jaehwan wasn’t the best with his body and he can barely land a cartwheel when he is sober, let alone tipsy like he is now. Wonshik must’ve really wanted to push Jaehwan to get that piercing.

Just as everyone and their mother predicted, Jaehwan failed his challenge. He actually landed his first tumble, though he barely made it from face planting on the table next to them. But he had stood up too quickly and didn’t take enough time to re-center before attempting the 2nd round. So he still have some momentum from the previous turn and swaying around and instead of landing on his feet he ended up on his sorry .

Apparently seeing Jaehwan on the floor rubbing his is the best entertainment for Wonshik. His booming laugh filled the space. His eyes disappeared before he stumble out of the booth and tumble his way to Jaehwan. Hugging his body on the floor and ‘help’ him rub his sore . Before the two somehow manage to get back in the booth and got the volume of their laughing-crying-shrieking combo under control.

“Hongbin, look up the nearest certified tattoo and piercing shop. We gonna get this done tonight.” Wonshik said.

“Aaaa… Wonshik, I’m scared. You said it hurts, this baby don’t like ouwies” Jaehwan tried to wiggle out of his deal.

“It’s okay, it’s not that bad. You can squeeze my hand.” Wonshik reassured with his arm around Jaehwan. “Okay, last part. What do you have for me?!”

“Shik, I dare you to a pink hair. Bright pink.” Hongbin rose to the occasion, he will not be the only one with the weird hair color this come back. “You’ve never had pink before right. I think it’s the only color you’ve never had.”

“I haven’t had green.”

“Eww… Leave green to N-hyung. And Daeguni grossly faded hair.” Jaehwan quipped. Having sufficiently rub the pain out of his . “But I want Shikkie in purple. Like candy purple. Shikkie looks good in purple hair.”

“So which is it? Pink or Purple?

“Oh I know. Make this a 3 way challenge, if I win Shikkie goes pink, if Jaehwan win you go purple, if you somehow win then you save your .”

“Alright deal!”

“Okay, so Kim Wonshik, I challenge you to not laugh. Go take a swig of your beer. Keep the in your mouth, do not swallow. And Hongbin and I will try to make you laugh. If you spit it at Hongbin’s joke, he wins. If you laugh at my jokes, I win.”

The look on Wonshik’s face shows how hopeless he is. Amongst the members, Wonshik is the one that can never holds in a laugh. Even without any external provocation, this man can just billow out a laugh. “A taste of your own medicine mister.” He knows that by the end of the night, it will be decided whether or not he will have either pink or purple hair. Swallowing his fate, he took a gulp of beer, he swallows this one before taking another one and holding the liquid in his cheeks.

“Okay, let me start.” Jaehwan’s eyes alight, rubbing his palm in front of him. He knows that this is going to be an easy one. But instead of coming up with a job, he just screamed really loudly, pterodactyl style. He knows that the way his face looks never fails to crack Wonshik up.

But surprisingly, Wonshik manage to hold on. Gripping the table edge so tight and his jaw so tense Hongbin kind of feared for his life. Then it was his turn, Hongbin spill out some stupid pun. Seeing that Hongbin had failed, Jaehwan piled in. then Hongbin piled in, then Jaehwan piled in with even more stupid jokes. Soon no one cared whose turn it was and they were just saying silly stuff on top of one another.

Really at this point, Wonshik looked so tortured. The muscle of his face is numb.

And only after about 2 minutes and a half, he spurt his beer all over the table.

“EEWWW!!! SHIKK-AH!! YOU’RE SO DIRTY” Jaehwan said, while laughing and hitting Wonshik’s shaking shoulder. Wonshik is laughing and wheezing, his forehead on the wet table.

“You guys are merciless. I swear I could’ve died. I don’t even know who made me crack finally.”

“So we both made you laugh? So we both win?” Jaehwan started his celebratory dance already.

“Accept it Shik, you are going to have half pink, half purple head. Here’s to our new looks” Hongbin raised his glass for a toast, warmth filled him.

 

That night, Jaehwan came on with a bag of frozen peas plastered to both sides of his face.