Chapter Two / Blinded

If Only I Could See You // Chanbaek
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanyeol arrived home with a splitting headache, he stumbled through the front door of his house, both the light from outside and from the light in the house sent his vision hazy. Chanyeol's mother was in the kitchen, cooking their dinner for the night. Yoora rushed down the stairs, nearly tackling her younger brother as she hugged him.

"Chanyeollie!! How was school?" Yoora asked, squeezing her brother tightly.

"Y-Yoora..." Chanyeol groaned, bringing his hands to his head, "please, quiet down..."

Yoora's eyebrows knitted together in concern for her younger brother as she released him, "What's wrong Chanyeollie?"

Chanyeol swallowed hard as his head throbbed, causing him to groan. His balance wavered slightly and he found himself on the floor, slumped against the wall in a matter of seconds. Yoora shrieked in surprise, forgetting her brother's request to quiet down. Their mother rushed out of the kitchen, seeing her daughter in distress and her son wavering in and out of consciousness on the floor.

"Mom!" Yoora cried.

Chanyeol bolted upright, instantly covering his ears at the shrill sound of Yoora's cries. Chanyeol's vision went hazy once more as he squinted, making out the blurred form of his fretting sister and the squatting form of his mother who was bringing her hands to his shoulders. 

"C-Chanyeol! What's wrong?!" Their mother cried, her shaking hands cupping her son's face before Chanyeol fell out of her grasp and onto his side, letting out a loud cry of pain.

Tears slid down Chanyeol's face as his vision faded in and out of focus, "M-mom..."

Their mother cupped Chanyeol's cheeks as he continued to slip in and out of consciousness, "Sweetheart..."

"Y-Yoora-" Chanyeol began before he slipped out of consciousness yet again, this time staying in the dark world behind his eyelids for longer than he would have liked.

When Chanyeol awoke he found himself hooked up to several machines, an IV in his arm and Yoora patting down his forehead with a damp cloth. Yoora looked at Chanyeol in surprise at first, seeing him open his eyes before quickly hugging him.

"Oh thank the gods you're alright..." She wailed, tears now spilling from her eyes.

Chanyeol groaned, his voice thick with sleep, "What happened?"

Yoora swallowed, suddenly going dry, "We don't know... When you got home you collapsed and kept passing out..."

Suddenly the memories of the day prior came rushing back to him, Chanyeol had been getting changed in the locker room at school when he knelt down to pick up his shoes. His head slammed into the corner of the door to the locker next to him and he winced, a sharp pain instantly rushing through him from his head to his toes. For the rest of the day his head ached and throbbed and whenever he was near a bright light, his vision would cloud over.

"I hit my head..." Chanyeol began, "What day is it?"

"It's Thursday Chanyeol, how hard did you hit your head to have passed out for a full day?" Yoora asked, her eyebrows furrowing together.

"Hard enough..." Chanyeol grumbled, rubbing his head as it throbbed.

"I-it still hurts?" Yoora asked, concern lacing her voice.

"Yeah..." Chanyeol replied, wincing as his fingers brushed across a sore spot on his head. "Where's mom?"

Yoora thought for a moment, "I think she went to the cafeteria to get something to eat..."

As if on cue their mother entered the room, nearly dropping the bottle of water she had been drinking from as she entered when she saw Chanyeol. "God! Chanyeol you scared me!"

Chanyeol frowned, "I'm sorry..."

"Chanyeol! Don't apologize! I'm just glad you're alright... It's not your fault..."

That night Chanyeol fell asleep in the stiff hospital bed, waking up several times in the middle of the night due to nightmares and pain. After a few days, Chanyeol was able to go home and sleep in the comfort of his own bed, much to his liking. He stared up at his beige ceiling, thinking of how boring it was compared to the baby blue ceiling of the hospital.

Chanyeol sighed as he pushed around his dinner, not in the mood to eat seeing as the pain-killers the doctors prescribed had killed his appetite. His mother sighed, placing a piece of meat on Chanyeol's plate.

"Chanyeol, you need to eat, even if you aren't hungry right now..." She said, placing another piece on his plate.

Chanyeol sighed quietly before picking up the slice of meat with his chopsticks and nibbling on it slightly. "It's good... I really wish I could eat it..."

His mother quirked an eyebrow, confused by her son's statement.

"I feel like I'm going to vomit from the smell of food, let alone the taste..." Chanyeol muttered before setting his chopsticks down.

"Well... just... go rest, if you're hungry later you can heat up your plate," Yoora said in place of their mother's silence.

Chanyeol nodded and sighed before standing from his seat, pushing his chair in before heading up the stairs to his room. Chanyeol turned his phone on for the first time in a week and was met with several messages from Kyungsoo. Chanyeol chuckled lightly at his friend's messages as he read them, laughing at how they started off annoyed that he was ignoring him and slowly got more concerned before becoming annoyed again. Chanyeol flopped down on his bed, wincing slightly as his head throbbed slightly before typing out a reply and sending it.

Sorry, I was in the hospital.

Chanyeol laughed at Kyungsoo's response which was in all caps and followed by several exclamation points and question marks. 

Calm down, Soo.

I just hit my head a little too hard...

Chanyeol continued his chat with Kyungsoo for another hour or so before Chanyeol began to grow drowsy and told Kyungsoo goodnight.

Chanyeol than drifted into a dreamless sleep before waking not long after with a blood-curdling scream. Chanyeol opened his eyes, meeting darkness. Chanyeol rubbed his eyes, hoping to adjust to the dark of night, but to no avail. Chanyeol began to feel tears in his eyes, he knew what was happening, but he didn't understand. Chanyeol pushed himself up in his bed, patting down the covers before throwing them off, not sure where they ended up in the darkness. Chanyeol moved his hands aimlessly until they landed on his phone, he felt around for the power button with his fingers and pressed it as soon as he had located it. By now, the bright light of his screen should have illuminated his room.

Chanyeol was met with nothing but darkness. Chanyeol held his finger to the power button, hoping his phone would recognize his fingerprint and unlock, which it had with a small ping. Chanyeol's fingers glided along the smooth screen of his phone, tapping around aimlessly before hearing a dial-tone. The phone rang a few times before the call was answered.

"Chanyeol? What's up? What's going on? Are you-"

A loud wail escaped Chanyeol's throat, "Kyungsoo..."

"The light is gone..."

"The light is gone..."

"The light is gone!"

"Kyungsoo the light is gone!"

"I can't see"

"Calm down Chanyeol! What is going on?" Kyungsoo asked, concern replacing the sleep that was lacing his voice.

"The light is gone Kyungsoo, I can't see!"

"What are you talking about?!" Kyungsoo exclaimed.

"I. Can't. See. Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol screamed, a loud sob escaping his lips.

"Chanyeol!" Yoora cried as she ran into his room, "What's wrong? What's happening?"

"Yoora..." Chanyeol swallowed, "I can't see..."

Yoora gasped before a sob escaped her as well, "Mom!"

Yoora rushed to Chanyeol's bedside, cupping Chanyeol's face in her hands, "Chanyeol, look at me... Look me in the eyes..."

Chanyeol swallowed before his eyes flickered all over Yoora's face,"Yoora... I can't..."

"What the hell is going on?!" Kyungsoo yelled from the phone.

"Yoora! What's wrong?!" Mrs. Park cried as she ran into the room.

"Chanyeol's blind mom... He's blind! He's lost his sight! He can't see!"

Chanyeol sighed, opening his eyes and wishing he could see the beige color of his ceiling. It had been two years since he had lost his sight at the age of fifteen. Two years since he learned to love nothing but darkness. Somehow, he had grown used to not being ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter