- No More

Element Keepers

The sound of the alarm blasted off as soon as the wall collapsed. A wall and an alarm system? Isn't that a bit excessive?

 

I just kept on running. I don't know where but I surely can't go back. So I just kept  on running forward. Faster with every step. Suddenly, the ground shakes. An earthquake?! I almost tripped over but luckily I held on a tree right before I can kiss the dirt with my face. 

 

My heart is beating so fast, I don't think it's healthy anymore. My hands are producing pools of sweat and I'm finding it too hard to breathe. I hid behind the tree and slowly sit down. It's quiet again. The alarm's off.

 

Remembering the map's layout, I am in a commoner's forest. Everything will be easy when I found a city or a town or any form of civilization. I just have to look for a road or any kind of path. 

 

Right now, I don't think they caught up with me, I can still catch my breath for a couple of seconds. I then noticed the ground near my feet turns in to a lump, too fast for it to be natural. It only means there's an earth keeper nearby. I stood up and jump over it and continue my escape.

 

Stupid Yuna,  why can't I just follow my plan seriously? Suddenly a large wall of dirt raise over me. There is definitely a keeper and it's trying to catch me. I tried looking for a way through but everytime I tried crossing through, it would immediately close up.

 

Aish! If only there's water around, I can blast this off within a snap of my wrist. My eyes looked around as I hope that there are signs of any form of liquid  but the moment I turn around, there's already another wall looming above me, then walls beside me followed. I'm trapped.

 

"Ms. Choi Yuna, please stop this futile attempt of escaping." I hear a voice above and saw a man perfectly balance atop the wall. 

 

He wants me to stop? Why does he think I would do this? For attention? To create drama?  

 

The wall where he's standing slowly sinks down and once he's infront of me, he looks at me straight in the eye while he fetches a device of some sort - like a walkie talkie. He clicks it once and a static break the silence. "This is Lee Teuk reporting. I have here with me Ms Choi Yuna who escaped through the west border. She seems to be helped by Mr. Lee Seokmin. I will bring her back immediately."

 

He put his hand on my shoulder and urge me to go back towards the academy. He thinks after all the effort I just put in, now that I'm here, I'll just go with him that easy? Wow! 

 

Within a couple of steps, I turn around and ran again. Then, I heard a loud noise and felt a sharp pain at the side of my nape before I lost both of my balance and my consciousness

 

~...~...~...~

 

The sudden tranquility woke me up. Not wanting to avoid the same mistake again, I slowly opened my eyes. Well looks like I'm here again. The place where the smell of rubbing alcohol is too strong and everywhere you look is alll white.

 

"You're awake now, I see." I whip my head towards the voice only to see the nurse lazily leaned back against a swivel chair. I sit up and suddenly, a sharp pain came across my arm. I look down and saw the band-aids and bruises that decorates my body.

 

"The headmistress said that she would like to see you as soon as you're awake." He said as he stood up

 

Wait? Was my escape all just a dream?

 

"And because of what you did, there are guards waiting for you outside." I guess not. "Now, since I am your nurse and I was the one who is in charge of you, I will personally you towards the headmistress' office."

 

Talk about security. Well, I wouldn't really want to be with a chaperon right now but can I blame them? I was about to jump off the bed when the door open revealing the same woman who 'welcomed' me in my home. She walks in with authority and as soon as the nurse saw her, he bows 90 degrees down.

 

"Ah, I'm really sorry headmistress. If I was just here watching over her, this wouldn't happen." He nervously rattled.

 

"Don't worry Nurse Jin, what's done is done. We'll just have to attend on what's in the present." She said not taking her eyes off of me. "Can you leave the two us for a moment?"

 

Nurse Jin scramble towrds the door and immediately closed it as soon as he was out. The woman then sat in the chair that was occupied by the nurse earlier. She crossed her legs and stare at me.

 

What does she want now? Does she wants to rub it in my face that I am somehow trapped in her school, that even if I try getting away I'll only fail? Does she came to mock and laugh at me? How mature.

 

"I don't blame you." She started that caught me by surprise but didn't let it show. "Yuna-ssi, I am really sorry to suddenly take you from the people that are important to you. I don't know if you're already aware but there's a law stating that all keepers here in South Korea must be under the academy's supervision, away from the commoners. I know how badly you want to go back but you really can't stay outside the border. Please, Yuna-ssi. I know what I'm asking is too impossible but please remember that you are not allowed to live there and you will spend the rest of your life here."

 

Does she want me to just forget  my life that I left that easy? What about Chaeng? Chaeng and auntie are the only family I have, how would they react - how would they take it if they suddenly found out that I'm gone and have no more chance to be found? Does she want me to do that? Auntie, doesn't even know that I'm a keeper, yet. 

 

Silence just wrap us before I was able to look away from her. "You think it's easy? You think I don't want to run back? Ma'am, I haven't even done anything. If you saw the CCTV, you know that the water didn't even touched him. I haven't hurt anybody with this ability and I have concealed it all these years. I wasn't able to create any noise about me being a keeper. I lived my life as a commoner and you want to take that away from me?" I can feel my voice crack and all I see is blurs.

 

"I'm so sorry Yuna but there's nothing we can do." She said as she shakes your head. "Believe me when I say that I want to send you back and that I want every keeper here to go beyond the border but I can't. Even if I do send you back, you'll only end up being in jail and knowing that you are a keeper, they'll just transfer you back here."

 

"Please, there's got to be a way." I look pleadingly at her. "I don't think I'm fitted in this life. My family must be waiting for me."

 

She shakes her head and now I know that I am hopelessly trapped in here. Does that mean, I can't really see them anymore. Tears then starts to flow uncontrollably in my cheeks.

 

"Then, can I please call them?" I asked in between hiccups.

 

She shakes her head once more. "We have no communication with commoners besides each other's government. We tried proposing it but they just don't feel the need to."

 

My brain becomes blank on the sudden news. Maybe, this is just a dream. Maybe I'll wake up sooner or later. That I can see Chaeng tomorrow and tell her all about this.

 

So, I let my body lay back on the bed and close my eyes. Still hoping that none of what happened are true. Before I can drift off to sleep and let the fatigue engulf me, I heard her one more time.

 

"You'll start your class tomorrow and Mr. Lee Seokmin will accompamy you."