- Someone New

Element Keepers

     To say that sleep came to me would probably be the understatement of the year. 

     

      As soon as Chaeng had finished telling me what had happened during the months I was away, millions of thoughts filled my mind for the past three days. How can I enjoy the festival and the company of others when the family I left behind was in danger? Not noticing the time passing by and my only confirmation of the next days is the enthusiastic knock and a wide smile that always greets me in the morning.

 

      "It's a wonderful day. Why do you keep scowling?"

 

      One day, when I remember, I'm going to smack Seokmin's head out of his body when I have the chance. I mean, I am glad that the others welcomed Chaeng warmly. It takes one burden off my shoulder. Although, I am not saying that my best friend is a burden. It's just that my mind is too occupied to think of any way to entertain her while she's at this place. 

 

     "Hyung, go get it!"

 

     "You better hit bullseye, Jihoon-oppa!"

 

       It amazes me how people get along quickly. It's only been three days and a certain fire keeper is threatening my position as Chaeyeon's best friend. 

 

      In spite of the hype of the festival, doubt is clinging to me like a lost dog. For the three days that Chaeng had stayed here, the headmistress has never shown herself. She did told that she would talk to us as soon as possible and I don't think our case need to wait for this long. I have a lot of unanswered questions.

 

      "Wah! We won! Yuna, we won!" Chaeng enthusiastically shake me as she points to the scoreboard.

 

     The feeling of wanting to share their happiness is slipping off my system no matter how I try hold it in. The conversations shared with her the past days keep floating around, waiting to be discussed about.

 

      Ugh! My head keeps on throbbing and this overly hyped crowd is not helping.

 

     I waved at the others gesturing that my body needs a break from all of this energy and they mindlessly dismissed me. At least I don't have to explain myself. 

 

      What I told them was not completely a lie but aggravation creeps in me because of the oblivious - probably ignorant - silence concerning a certain commoner participating in a keeper's event. Unconsciously, my feet dragged me towards the main building. It's just behind the fountain where Seokmin became my friend.

 

      Either way, the place is unusually bare. Most of the students are in the gymansium so it's no surprise at all.

 

      A noise intruded the silence, snapping me out from any planned movements (which I don't have). Following my illogical instincts, I hid. Rushing in the entrance, quickly hiding behind a column as I try to even out and silence my breath.

 

     For a few moments, everything was soundless. Then, the sound of heels clicking against the marble floor in consecutive rhythm broke the silent spell. I half expected that there would be a conversation or any form of spoken words but there was nothing. Curiosity overtook me as I peeked behind the columns only to see a silhouette entering the foyer.

 

     Have I ever told you how my body won't listen to any logical reasoning my mind formulates? No? Well, now you know.

 

      With so much protest from the top of my head, my feet stealthily (which surprised me) followed the person - who clearly has the curve of a woman. It was an easy job until she decided to stop. Why? Was I too noisy? Did I blew my cover?

 

      She didn't move.

 

     What is she doing?

 

      Moments later, the elevator let out a sound that someone is either entering it or leaving. A shadow of another woman indicated that it was the latter.

 

      My eyes widened and my heart pounded against my chest.

 

     What is she doing here? She hadn't shown up for three days and now she's out here. I mean, okay, the whole academy is entranced with the activities so this might not be that noticeable.

 

    Why is this a big deal? 

 

     Why do I feel baed about this?

 

     The two women went in the elevator, surely going to the headmistress's office. Again, when did my body listened to me?

 

      My feet ran up the stairs and knowing that it will be a long way up, it kept going ignoring the burning pain.

 

     By the time I reached the office, the door swung open. Instinctively, I hid behind any thing that could cover me - which is a gigantic marble vase used purely for decoration.

 

      What in the divided world is happening?

 

     "... your service, Ms. Kim."

 

     There was a pause before a familiar, even tone replied. "Thank you as well, Ms. BoA."

 

                                                 ~...~...~...~

     Night time fell in the academy and every student is gathered at one of the open fields. In the center sits ablaze a large campfire providing warmth and light to commemorate the finale of the academy's sports festival.

 

     BoA.

 

     The name repeats itself to me as if I would know the person if it did.

 

     The student government just finished giving out awards. Sophomores - that's us - took 1st place while the Juniors took the championship. It didn't really matter to me because of the group I now belong to.

 

     By this, time we were all to be dismissed but the president announced that there is an important introduction to be done. Murmurs and buzz of small noises filled the air. Just in front of the fire, a perfectly familiar silhouette stepped forward. Her perfect formal and authoritative voice silenced the earlier noises.

 

    "I thank you, students, for completing another sports festival. May it helped you grow with camaraderie, sportsmanship, friendship, loss and wins. In light of recent events, the government has decided to have a change of leadership here in the academy. As of earlier, Ms. Kim is given back her position as a government employee and the president has decided to let me handle the academy.

 

     Dear students, I go by the name of Ms. BoA. I will be your new headmistress and I look forward to working with you. Again, congratulations and you may now retreat to your dorms. Good night."