chapter 5: date(s)

✦ ✧ ∗ ❥ college adventures (discontinued indefinitely)

As Saturday approaches, Hakyeon got more and more nervous. How does he act in front of Taekwoon? Like a friend? Acquaintance? What should they talk about? Life? Little children? He is on the verge of pulling all his hair out.

“Hakyeon.”

He groaned. Now he is even hallucinating. Why is Taekwoon’s voice so soft and alluring? How is his hallucination so clear – like Taekwoon seemingly beside him?

“Hakyeon.”

He paused in his thinking. The voice sounds too real to be a trick of the mind. He turned to the voice – and met with Taekwoon looking worriedly at him.

“Are you okay? I called you quite a few times but… are you okay?”

Hakyeon would’ve cooed at the sight of a worried Taekwoon if he weren’t recovering from a mini heart attack. He willed himself to calm down.

“Yes, I’m fine. Sorry, I’m just tired. What’s up?”

“I just wanted to ask you about Saturday. What time and where should we meet?”

He totally didn’t expect Taekwoon to ask about it first.

“Uhm… I’ll update you? I still haven’t thought of a place yet.”

“Sure,” Taekwoon nodded. “You need my phone number?”

“I have it from the class group chat, no worries.”

Taekwoon nodded again, giving him a small wave and walked away. Hakyeon slumped in his seat. Hasn’t he always wanted this? He mentally slapped himself. Please step up your game, Cha Hakyeon.

 

-

 

Chingu N

Byg’s: so what’s up with u and taek

 

N: how’d u know tf

 

Byg’s: mothers know best

 

N: we’re the same age.

 

Byg’s: shush. Do u need help?

 

N: actually, yes.

N: HOW DO I TALK TO TAEKWOON LOL.

 

Byg’s: well, you’re pretty much acing it already. I’ve never seen anyone outside our group talk to him so much. Just do ya thang

 

N: TT thanks mum

 

Byg’s: oh child what would u do without me

 

-

 

Saturday quickly approached and Hakyeon was sure he was about to black out with how fast his heart is beating. He was currently in his room trying to pick a suitable outfit to wear. Just what exactly is he going to wear?! What does he look good in? Wait. Does he even have to look good? Of course! He's going out with Taekwoon - the man of his dreams. Hakyeon groaned and he buried his face in his hands. it, i'll just wear something i feel comfortable in. whatever Taekwoon thinks.

 

-

 

Hakyeon arrived at the mall and saw Taekwoon standing near the entrance of the mall, sticking out like a sore thumb. Firstly, it was because of his height and secondly, that guy was dressed in full black; a complete opposite from the colors around him. But Hakyeon had to admit the other's fashion sense was enough to turn heads - which really did - evident from the number of people staring at him.

 

"Taekwoon! Sorry I'm a little late. I had to take care of some stuff."

It was quite true because Hakyeon was indeed taking care of his image. He had spent more than an hour fretting over his outfit and at last choosing to wear a plain wine-colored oversized shirt tucked slightly into his boyfriend jeans, holding a folder-sized black pouch and completing the look with a pair of white sneakers.

He was almost certain that the other took in his entire look first before nodding slightly and muttering a 'let's go'.

 

 

 

"What's your nephew's name?", Hakyeon asked while they were walking towards their destination. He couldn't really stand the awkward silence (in Hakyeon's words) between them. It was quite unsettling.

"Kim Byul Ha."

Before Hakyeon said anything back, the other talked again.

"I know it might sound like a female's name but it really isn't. I don't even think there should be a gender to names, right?"

Hakyeon was swooning inside. He loved an intellectual.

"Well, it might sound like a female's name for people who don't know but I think it's a very beautiful name," he replied. "How old is he?"

"He's turning 2 soon," Taekwoon answered with a smile that could be missed if not seen quick enough. Hakyeon could see that the other had become a lot more comfortable and happier than earlier on and he himself felt happy too. They then arrived at the store they wanted to go to and walked around, scanning the whole area before deciding on what to buy. After they got what they wanted, Taekwoon looked at his watch.

"It's still early. Do you have time for tea?"

Hakyeon nodded, pleasantly surprised that the other had extended their 'date'. They went to a small cafe and ordered drinks, sitting down at the furthest end of the outlet. Taekwoon started talking about his nephew again and Hakyeon felt like the luckiest guy on earth to be able to witness Taekwoon's huge smile.

i wish to be his source of happiness someday too.

 

-

 

Jaehwan groaned as his phone buzzed for the nth time. Hyuk had been pestering him the whole time ever since they got paired together for the assignment.

 

cutie hyogi

  

hyogi: hyung!! let's meet up

 

hyogi: stop ignoring me!!!!

 

hyogi: hey!!!!! do u not care about ur grades??

 

kennie: why today

 

hyogi: why not?

 

kennie: im busy

 

hyogi: with?

 

kennie: none of your business

  

 

Jaehwan huffed as he put his phone down, mind raging as he recalled what Hyuk did a few days ago. The younger had just forcefully taken his phone and saved his own number as a disgusting name and Jaehwan was too lazy to change it. Now Hyuk is harassing him about the assignment endlessly and insists on meeting up. It's not that Jaehwan doesn't care about their work; he just doesn't want to see Hyuk outside of school. He sighed when his phone received another message from Hyuk.

 

hyogi I'm sorry for bothering you on the weekends. It's fine if you can't meet up. I'll just do the rest myself. You take a rest.

 

His eyes widened as he read the message. He was actually quite relieved that the other has ceased to disturb him but he was a little concerned that Hyuk would send that.     

 

kennie: tf dont do everything yourself. just give me a time off during the weekends.

kennie: i promise i'll do the work together with you

 

hyogi: i've already done it

hyogi: i did it properly no worries.

 

kennie: what the- you're sure it's good?

 

hyogi: im not one of the top scorers for nothing ;)

 

 

Jaehwan rolled his eyes. He should've known better. However, he was feeling a little bad that Hyuk had done the work they were supposed to do together.



kennie: thanks for doing the work

kennie: i'll treat you ice-cream on monday



He threw his phone on the bed far away from him. Was it a mistake to send that? What if Hyuk took it the wrong way and saw it as a date?

His worries were proved wrong when he picked up his phone later on, checking the messages Hyuk had sent. He let out a small smile as his worry subside.



hyogi: really????

hyogi: any ice-cream???

hyogi: strawberry flavor please >0 <

hyogi: thank you



-