chapter 4: assignment and clubs

✦ ✧ ∗ ❥ college adventures (discontinued indefinitely)

“Okay class, I’ll let you know your partner when you come up to collect your assignment so can we please start from the first register number?”

Studies were going progressively fast as the weeks went by and now the time has come for them to do their first mini assignment. Their lecturer decided to choose everyone’s partner by himself and Baekhyun and Jaehwan were fervently praying that they would not be grouped with Chanyeol and Sanghyuk.

“Anyone but them… anyone but them…” Jaehwan chanted with his eyes shut and hands clasped. After like what it seems to be infinity, it was finally Jaehwan’s turn to collect the assignment and know his partner.

“Good luck friend,” Baekhyun said as Jaehwan nodded solemnly and marched towards the teacher’s table. It would’ve been a ridiculously hilarious scene if not for the fact that these two people really hated the other two to the core. They weren’t even sure why they have such hatred for Chanyeol and Sanghyuk. Maybe it was the number of people crowding outside their classroom every day trying to get a peek of the duo or the way they were cold towards other people, but playful towards Jaehwan and Baekhyun - playing small pranks on the both of them which of course annoyed them to death. There was once where Jaehwan even asked Sanghyuk why them – to which the latter replied: “Because we like the both of you.”, which irritated Jaehwan even more. What kind of a reason was that?! Nevertheless, the teasing never stopped and now that the F9 duo was in their club, Jaehwan and Baekhyun wished even more to not be paired with them.

 

“Ah, Jaehwan. I understand that you and Baekhyun have some problems with Chanyeol and Sanghyuk. Yeah?”, their lecturer asked.

Jaehwan nodded.

“All 4 of you have been doing well academically… I actually want to put you 4 together to boost your grades.”

Jaehwan gaped, mind whirring and lost for words.

The lecturer continued: “However, this mini-assignment only requires two people and I want you all to be more comfortable around each other. Therefore, I shall separate you and Baekhyun to be paired with Sanghyuk and Chanyeol respectively. This is final.”

After he had finally processed the lecturer’s words, Jaehwan begged to change partners but to no avail. He trudged back to his seat, resisting the urge to pull out his hair. When he got to his table which was beside Baekhyun’s, he found Chanyeol sitting beside his sulking friend. Seemed like Chanyeol knew his partner earlier and had approached him when Jaehwan was away. Baekhyun looked up at him, pouting and eyes teary. He sighed and shook his head.

“I’ve already begged Mr. A. He said he won’t change no matter what. I’m sorry Baek. I failed us.”

Baekhyun groaned as he slammed his head on the table after hearing his friend’s words. All hope was gone.

Jaehwan’s ‘hyuk-sense’ tingled and he looked to his right, seeing Sanghyuk bouncing over happily. “Jaehwannieee! Mr. A said we’re partners!”

Jaehwan groaned as Sanghyuk started talking about how great this assignment was going to be. Cupid agrees wholeheartedly.

 

-

 

Jaehwan

baek: hows u

 

Byunbaek

kennie: fine… I guess. Still surviving. Work’s pretty good but the partner’s not.

 

 

The 4 of them had separated into their own partner groups and started working on their assignment at different places. Jaehwan and Baekhyun were both pleasantly surprised that their partners were completely serious when doing work but all of F9 had good academic results for a good reason. However, work didn’t stop them from their daily teasing.

“Jaehwannie, let’s go and recce this place.”

“First of all, it’s ‘hyung’ to you. Secondly, what the I have yet to research on the location and you’ve already planned it all out? Plus the permit?”

Sanghyuk was really a very fast-paced person and Jaehwan was glad that work wasn’t done sloppily.

“Yeah, I’ve done it,” Sanghyuk replied. He then moved his face closer to the other’s. “Let’s get this over and done with so we can have more time to know each other, hyung.”

Jaehwan gritted his teeth, smacking the younger’s head lightly with a book. Did his heart just race a little?

 

 

On the other hand, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were doing their work quietly. The latter was trying really hard to not communicate with Chanyeol at all but it was quite tough because after all, this was a 2-person job. He was just about to ask a question when the other suddenly spoke up:

“Why’re you in Music and Vocal Club?”

Baekhyun was taken aback by the sudden question. “Why?”

“Just asking.”

“Then why did you join the club?”

“Why?”

“Just asking.”

 

The both of them snickered after a moment of silence.

“Okay but seriously, why though? Do you play any instruments?”, Chanyeol asked again.

Baekhyun hesitated for a while. Why would he tell Chanyeol anything? “I… yeah. I do play the piano. I kinda sing too, so… yeah.”

“Oh cool!’, Chanyeol said as his eyes light up. “I can play quite a few instruments and am currently learning how to compose songs from Yongguk hyung. You know him, right?”

Baekhyun nodded.

“Since you sing,” Chanyeol continued, “do you mind singing the demos for my songs? I have quite a few that needs a vocal.”

Baekhyun was stumped as his mind stopped working. “Uh… sure?”

“Thank you! Give me your number, I’ll text you when I need help.”

As Baekhyun keyed in his number into Chanyeol’s phone, he suddenly realized what just happened. Oh . What has he gotten himself into?

 

-

 

Kyungsoo was preparing to go home when his phone buzzed on his table, signaling a message. He nearly dropped it when he picked it up to see the message.

 

Message from +2345 09240146

hello kyungsoo hyung. This is jongin.

I’m having a rehearsal today at dance room 14, do you want to come and see my practice?

 

He smiled a little, heart fluttering as he saved Jongin's number and typed in a reply.

 

Kimjongin

ks: hey, sure. I’ll be right there

 

Kyungsoo quickly packed his things and rushed to the dance room, excited that Jongin had texted him and that he would be able to view Jongin’s performance without the disturbance of others. When he reached the dance room, he opened the door cautiously and peeked inside.

He looked in amazement as Jongin danced graciously in front of the mirror. The way his body moved in tune with the music and the emotions portrayed through the dance. Kyungsoo was starstruck. The music stopped and Jongin finally noticed Kyungsoo standing at the door.

"Oh, Kyungsoo hyung! You're here. Come on in."

Kyungsoo went in and padded across the dance floor, sitting beside where Jongin had gone to sit.

Jongin was all sweaty, hair sticking to his forehead and shirt damp. But Kyungsoo still finds his heart skipping beats even with Jongin in this state. He decided to be the one that speaks first. "I saw you dancing when I was at the door just now. It was so amazing I really loved it."

"But don't you think this part is a little lacking?", Jongin asked as he stood up and did a part of the choreography. Kyungsoo shook his head. "No, that part was actually good. However, I think you could improvise on the hand gestures."

They spent the whole afternoon brushing up on Jongin's choreography and soon after, it was time to go home.

"Thank you for coming down and helping me out with my choreography," Jongin said, flashing Kyungsoo a grateful smile. Kyungsoo's heart fluttered as he looked at the ground, shy. "It's no problem at all. Glad I could help though."

 

As they walked towards the gate, Jongin asked: "Where do you live at?"

"At Last Town, Road 6, why?"

"Oh!", Jongin shouted out, surprised. "I live in Last Town too! Road 21!"

Kyungsoo did not know how to process this information. "I never see you around."

Jongin nodded. "Me too. But I rarely leave my house so that might explain it. Anyways, we could go home together from now on!"

That too, Kyungsoo could not process. First of all, Jongin was just like an excited puppy and secondly, going home with THE Kim Jongin? Oh good lord.

"Kyungsoo hyung? Are you alright?"

Kyungsoo got out of his trance. "Y- yea... I'm fine. Sure, let's go home together."

His heart did a cartwheel and the butterflies in his stomach woke up as Jongin nodded excitedly and smiled at him like he just won a million bucks. Kyungsoo thinks he's beyond ed.