Chapter 22

New start, Old beginnings, Chanyeol POV
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Within 10 minutes Chanyeol had dressed, looking smarter than he had in quite some time, and was hovering at the doorway to the roof, running his hands through his hair with Junmyeon attempting to fix it for him.

‘Go!  What if she’s early.’  Junmyeon looked almost as nervous as Chanyeol felt, slapping him on his shoulder.

‘Hyung –‘ Chanyeol began, imploring him.

Junmyeon gave him a warm smile, hugged him and told him, ‘Everything will be fine.  But when you can let me know ok?  I’ll send you a 30 second warning.  Oh I left you something up there by the speaker to give to her.’  He pulled out of the hug, winked and smacked his backside, telling him to move. 

Chanyeol walked up the stairs slowly, feeling oddly like he was floating into a dream.  That was nothing though to the scene before him as he opened the door to the roof. 

Jongin and Junmyeon had worked some kind of wizard magic up here, and though he had vaguely helped it did not look this way when he left.  They had left the lights on, and Junmyeon had been right, it did look more impressive in the ever-growing darkness of the night sky.  It was like the stars were floating just in reach.  Buzzing like thousands of live fairies.  The tent was open, the heater switched on, but the main thing they had done, was cover the floor in a million rose petals, into some delicately woven pattern on the floor.  Jongin definitely did this, Chanyeol thought, he had the talent and patience to do something like this.  They had also hung up all the cards Chanyeol had written out and placed small twinkling tea lights around as kind of a pathway for her to follow. 

Chanyeol, trying his best not to disturb the petals, made his way behind the door entrance, where the mains outlet was for the lights.  He had a half decent view of the door, so he could see Alex when she stepped out, and turn on the music he had planned.  He had recorded, a rough version of the song he had been working on and brought his speaker up here earlier in the day to play it for her.  Leaning down, he saw laying next to the speaker, Junmyeon had left a blue single rose.  He smiled, picking it up and twisting it in his fingers.  This was perfect.  Junmyeon and Jongin had thought out the pathway she should take well, he noted, seeing the placement of all the different cards, along with a different flower leading directly to the tent, where the butterfly was hanging in place.  He could easily step out and be right behind her from his current position, all he had to do was wait. 

It didn’t take long, within 5 minutes his phone buzzed in his pocket, and he didn’t need to check the message to know she would be arriving any second.  He stood up, taking a deep breath, but feeling oddly quite calm, knowing he couldn’t back out of this, and she knew almost everything by now already.  She hadn’t decided not to come back, Baekhyun said she was on her way, and Junmyeon had made sure she was coming up those stairs. 

He heard the door creak open, and her audible gasp as she saw the roof for the first time.  He could vaguely make her shadow out, turning to look around.  Smiling to himself he pulled out his phone, and pressed play, the song filled the silence of the roof.  He just noted Junmyeon’s message on his screen, ’30 seconds,’ before he shoved the phone back in his pocket, not wanting the glare to give away his position.

Alex turned, and taking gentle easy steps, found her way to the first hanging card, reaching out for it carefully, she seemed to linger on the flowers before unfolding the card.

She reached out for it, her eyes caressing the flowers from the top all the way down, carefully unfolding the note.

FOLLOW THE LIGHTS, FOLLOW THE NOTES, the first one would read.  Chanyeol reciting the poem in his mind.  Alex moved on, following the lit pathway before her.

GIVE ME A CHANCE…

TO LET THE WAY, I LOOK AT YOU…

TO LET THE WAY, I SPEAK TO YOU …

TO LET THE WAY, I TREAT YOU…

REFLECT THE TRUTH THAT…

Chanyeol recited the poem over and over, rocking back and forth on his heels as he waited for her to turn the last corner and find the string with the butterfly hanging from it.  Snow had softly began to fall, making it feel even more like some end of movie scene.  She didn’t take long, reaching tenderly for the butterfly and caressing it gently. 

He took a deep breath through his nose, feeling more confident than ever, like this was how it was supposed to be.  He ran his fingers into his hair slightly out of his eyes before stepping out behind her.    

‘To reflect the truth that…’ he repeated the words of the last note, low and controlled.  Alex turned to face him.  Her wide eyes danced in the lights he had created, and somehow looking into her eyes he felt at home, relaxed.  

She gazed at the rose twisting in his fingertips, iced with a sprinkling of snow flakes, and then finally her eyes landed on his.  He was not afraid anymore, ‘That I love you.’ He whispered the end of the poem to her.  He smiled softy, allowing her to take in everything as he handed her the rose.  With shaking hands, she took it from him, staring down at it, like it was magical.

‘Why blue?’ she asked him at last.  Her voice sounding tiny and afraid.

‘Because it’s rare.  You’re rare, you’re the blue butterfly.’ He explained softly, his eyes never leaving her face, he held himself carefully, not daring to move any closer to her yet, he had to be sure this time it was ok.  Biting his lower lip he waited for her. 

 ‘You did all this?’ she asked him naively.  Her eyes moving around from the floor to the lights to the cards as if seeing it for the first time again.

He nodded back, the blush rising in his cheeks.  He would explain later than he had a lot of help.  

‘But, why?’ she asked hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter