Chapter 6

New start, Old beginnings, Chanyeol POV
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Good morning sunshine.’ Baekhyun, all too cheerily, called from his sprawled-out position on the sofa at Chanyeol, as he made his way into the Kitchen. 

He needed coffee, or something stronger.  He had managed to sleep, but it was fitful, dreaming about Junmyeon laughing manically at him, towering over him, which was unusual in itself, no one was taller than Chanyeol.

‘Yah,’ he called to him, not paying much attention as he banged about to find coffee. 

‘You know, that girl’s food was delivered here last night.’  Baekhyun called to him, causing Chanyeol to stop dead half way through searching the shelves.  He swallowed back a hard lump, remembering Baekhyun answering the intercom and then leaving in the night.

‘Which girl?’  He called back, stupidly, in a voice too high pitched for Chanyeol.  He knew Baekhyun wouldn’t fail to hear that tone and would mess with him all day for it.

‘Alex, you know the non-model, she’s nice.  I took it down to her, and she invited me in.’  Chanyeol could hear the grin on Baekhyun’s face before he could see it. 

‘She invited you in or you pushed your way in?’ Chanyeol asked, knowing the later was more likely for Baekhyun.

‘Little of column A, little of column B.’ he giggled smugly as Chanyeol scowled from behind the confides of the kitchen. 

‘She’s cool.  I feel like I know her from somewhere though.’  Baekhyun was pressing his luck with Chanyeol now, trying to get him to bite.

‘From where?’ Chanyeol spoke through gritted teeth.

‘I don’t know, I can’t quite catch it.’ Baekhyun hummed thoughtfully, punctuating each word carefully.  Chanyeol shook his head.  He knew Baekhyun must know, or at least he knew that Chanyeol knew her, somehow.  He wasn’t sure if Baekhyun had all the facts, in fact he was sure he didn’t, but he didn’t care.  He wasn’t going to take the bait this time.  Chanyeol merely grunted back in response. 

‘Have you met her yet?’ Baekhyun persisted as Chanyeol finally came out of the kitchen into the living area.  He considered Baekhyun’s question carefully before answering.  It would come out eventually that she was going to be in the MV, and it would save answering questions if she just appeared for the casting.

‘Yeah, she came to the casting yesterday.  She’s going to be in the MV.’  Chanyeol glumly admitted.

‘Oh really?’ Baekhyun’s eyes lit up, he crawled from his end of the sofa towards Chanyeol, staring intently at him.  ‘Why didn’t you say so yesterday?’ 

Chanyeol shrugged.  ‘I wasn’t aware it was important; besides, I didn’t know she lived here.’  The lie tasted sour on his tongue.

‘On this floor even.’ Baekhyun said proudly, as if he had figured out some big mystery by himself, still gawking intently at Chanyeol.  In his haste to show off to Chanyeol he didn’t ask why she was at the casting in the first place.

‘Uhuh,’ Chanyeol made a non-committal noise hoping to sound like he didn’t already know, never mind be the one who set it all up.

Baekhyun eyed him a little longer before dramatically peeling himself off the sofa.  ‘Let’s go out and find food.’

‘Alright,’ Chanyeol answered him with a grin, he wasn’t busy today, and he needed the distraction, and the food. 

Ten minutes later the pair of them left their apartment, knowing Junmyeon was still in Japan and Sehun in Europe they didn’t even bother knocking there.  They did knock on Kyungsoo and Jongin’s room, but there was no answer, guessing Jongin was asleep and Kyungsoo was out, Baekhyun informed Chanyeol that Jongdae and Minseok were in the offices, and after breakfast he would go there too.

They waited mostly in silence for the elevator to arrive.  As it did, and the doors retracted, Alex came into view.  She was a little sweaty, bits of her hair were sticking to her forehead in a way that anyone else would have probably found unattractive.  But not to Chanyeol.  She wore tight fitting gym clothes, that covered her, but didn’t leave anything of her figure to the imagination.  She blushed sweetly, as she spotted them, her eyes first on Chanyeol, who looked away ashamed, and then Baekhyun.

She stepped out in silence, and for the briefest of second’s Chanyeol thought she didn’t recognise Baekhyun, and maybe he had lied about going to her place last night. 

‘Good morning Butterfly.’ Baekhyun’s cheery voice yelled, his face forming a ridiculous grin as he broke the silence between them all, she turned frowning at him as Chanyeol looked down at Baekhyun in utter disbelief. 

Butterfly?  No way, how could he know?  He never once took an interest in the book when Chanyeol was reading it.  There was no way he could have made that connection.  It had to just be a coincidence that he had decided to call her that. 

Alex’s book, was called The Butterfly Catcher.  It was about a guy from China, who found a rare blue butterfly as a child, and being the fun loving, curious little guy he was he followed it, caught it, and made a wish, as they did in China with butterflies, the blue ones particularly a symbol for love.  He wished for stardom, he wished for a different life to the one he was growing up in, rural China on a farm, he wanted to be a singer, but he also wanted to fall in love, he wanted the kind of love he had never seen but dreamt about.  He found it, in the form of an exotic beauty Evelyn, his English teacher when he moved to the city.

When Chanyeol met Alex, he was studying English and she was an English teacher.  Their company made them learn, and because they were so busy, they had classes online, in a virtual classroom, with a virtual teacher.  Baekhyun grew bored of the classes quickly, he didn’t like the boring man he had for a teacher, and some, like Kyungsoo, didn’t need as many classes.  Chanyeol struggled a lot, and was very apprehensive, but then he got Alex, and she was wonderful, teaching him slowly, building his confidence, and opening herself little by little to him, so he trusted her, and after a few months having the classes he began to realise his feelings for her were more than just a simple teacher and student relationship.

They were all required to keep their real identities a secret, and since the online school was Chinese, they all pretended to be from China.  Chanyeol used the name Samuel and told Alexandra about a time when he was a child in China with his family for a holiday, how he found a blue butterfly, and made a wish.  When she disappeared off the system and he could no longer have his classes with her, he gave them up, and he searched for her wherever he could, never finding her for months, until one day, her name brought up her book.  With a bright blue butterfly on the front.  She had told him in a few of their last classes she was writing, she loved writing, and he always hoped her dream would come true, it would be published, and he would find her again.  That was how he found her, when her dream came true.

Chanyeol chose to dismiss Baekhyun’s nickname for her as nothing, maybe he hoped more than relied on fact, it was nothing and Baekhyun wouldn’t use it again.  

Finding a place to eat, they settled and ordered, talking about nothing in particular, Baekhyun didn’t persist with any more comments on Alex.  Chanyeol took this to mean he really had no solid ideas about who she was and began to relax. 

Baekhyun left in a hurry after about half an hour, realising he was late for his schedule.  Chanyeol was about to leave the restaurant when his phone began to vibrate in his pocket.

‘Hello?’ He answered in his usual voice.

‘Chan, it’s Sungbin.’ The voice down the phone answered.

‘Sungbin, how are you?’ He smiled.  Sungbin was the reason Chanyeol was able to bring Alex here.  He was a producer at a tv station, and after Chanyeol had read The Butterfly Catcher for the fifth time, he realised it was a remarkable story for tv.  He contacted Sungbin that same day and put it to him, asking him with a bit of hope what he thought of the story, if he would look it over and show it to his bosses at the station.  It took Sungbin two months, but e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter