xvi. castle on the hudson

The Renaissance of A Romance
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

xvii. castle on the hudson

 

[ derek & brandon feichter - avalon ]

 

LISA.

"Who are you going to paint again?" I made myself deafening, I can hear Jen's throat click before saying Roseanne. I had the unlikeliness of thoughts, "Fool of me to even wonder why you chose women as subjects for your art." Standing hilarious at myself I packed my belongings quicker, wishing she could just say she won't paint her and bring my soul at ease. But that's not Jen. "We need empowerment, Lisa. This art gala of mine will showcase that." See, what I mean? I could only sigh.

"Yeah and so will be the girl who demises this relationship." I rebutted. Mind you, I do not object the recognition that women can get in her gala but is it necessary to bring up Roseanne and break my ego? Yes, because that's what she's good at. My mind debated. "I told you, I'm over her." Her voice volumed up, my busy hands stopped and I turned around to face her with a clenched jaw, "That's exactly what you say before you flash that smile on her. That smile." My eyes were covered by the foreskin of my brows, and her face was in question as well. For pete's sake I was in jealousy. "That certain smile you only give to Roseanne."

"Baby..." Her face rued and her voice gentled as she softly grabs my compacted hand, "I only look at you." I paused as she jeweled her eyes upon mine. "Nope. Not gonna work." I shook my head. The urge was strong but so was my jealousy. As I was about to walk out, Jen suddenly slid her arms through my face and embraced me from the back, "Please." Her voice was annoyingly cute. "Don't get mad." I felt my heart lighting itself on fire and was ready to melt. Don't collapse. Not yet.

"I'm not mad. I'm running late." I excused as I cleared my throat. "It's working isn't it?" Jen suddenly tells me. "What? What's working?" I was puzzled. "I can feel your heart beating fast. I can feel your flutter." I felt her leaning her head at the back of my chest. "No. That doesn't mean anything." My words stuttered. "Yeah right." A snobbish tone backfired. "I love you." She added so skittishly. Then there goes my clenched hand and heart in matrimonial melt.

I turned around and faced her as she let go of our embrace, "I'll paint Roseanne, do the art exhibit and remain your girlfriend. That's it. Nothing else." Here goes my system turning into a fluff pile of adoration for Jen. Thus, forgiving her and blame myself for being outrageous. "I love you. I do." I uttered as I looked below her cherry lips as I lean side ways as an attempt. She quickly moved her lips to kiss me with delicacy then muttered I love you, only you. I could only smile foolishly. Works every time. I gushed in my mind.

Over these past months, I have been disrupted, temperamental and egoistically dangerous. Everything's just chaotic, but one thing's clear at the moment, I need to get out of her apartment, put on a coat, get a ride on my bike, and be 30 minutes early on my photo-op appointment at Chanyeol's Residence. It was December. Every rich household was preparing for their Christmas cards.

...

My expectations were to no avail. I conquered the gates, now I'm on a silver bricked staircase with a man on a white suit and tie approaching me from above "And why aren't you half an hour early. I specifically told you to arrive before me." A chattering older brother greeted me by the golden plated doors as I was walking up while on a rush in preparing my camera. "Sorry, V. Got up a little late." I excused as he timely opened the doors for me. We entered. "What have i told you about sleeping in Jen's apartment? You have a million dollar house for Christ's sake!" He loudly whispers, almost like a hiss. I could only roll my eye out of annoyance. "Uhm, since when did you care about my siestas?" I injected. "Since you kept running late on work." He replied. We were halfway through the living hall, with over ten people busy with technicalities and with Chanyeol's family positioning themselves on their gigantic glass staircase. "I'm sorry okay? Just having a rough week." I exhaled. "You also said that a week ago." His serious tone was obvious now. "I'll figure my out okay? Let's get to work." I rejected his concern and dashed myself and my camera on to the set.

I greeted the family, the three musketeers were perhaps amused to see me. But before casual talking, work should start running. So we've conceptualized a medieval 16th century setting for the family. Since they're famously inclined to sports, that's specifically fencing for the three brothers, we've might as well apply it. Because it was close to their hearts. The woman in the family wore the trumpet-sleeved or Tudor dress, worn over a farthingale and false undersleeves with a matching forepart. The turned-back cuffs are lined with fur. While comically the men were in ruffs, doublets, slashed leather jerkins, and paned trunk hose with codpiece. Shoulders were wide and sleeves were puffy, cuffed and made from contrasting bands of material.

After an over sweating two hours, we've wrapped up the shoot and that's when the brothers approached. "Thanks for the photographs, Lisa." Kai said with a grateful tone. "Despite the demanding artist that you are." Baekhyun teased. "Oh stop amusing me." I rebuked the compliment. "Will I ever will?" He huffed a laugh.

"Speaking of amusement, what about that fencing battle I've been telling you about." Chanyeol inserted. "What about it?" I stood clueless. "It's happening this Saturday. Bring your equipment okay?" I was baffled. "Wait but I didn't agree to-"

"You can't say no. We've already booked an island for two days." Kai added. My jaw just dropped, just hanging there in front of them. "You're totally a jerk if you don't go" Chanyeol added as if it gives me any guilt.

"We'll do sorts of activities other than fencing of course." Baekhyun chattered. "It'll be spontaneous and refreshing. I promise." Chanyeol said as he cups me by the shoulder in between his two hands. "I can't believe you've rented an island." I said in awe. "What's being a New York elite for if you can't?" Kai smirked.

"An excuse that an elite would say." I mocked. "An you love." Kai said in a tone of correction. I can only chaff. With all the reasoning these boys made in effort to convince, I couldn't just say no. So I shook my head in agreement and everyone just bantered and put a shoulder out on me as they press their knuckles in my head. Yet I couldn't be annoyed at these brats. I love them too much.

And then it was settled. I was going for a vacation.

...

JENNIE.

First of all, I'm pissed. I'm supposed to be busy preparing for my upcoming gala but I let Lisa trick me with a kiss to come and accompany her with this weekend getaway that they call when actually I'll just watch her fence all day with her comrades. It's not that I'm not excited to see her on battle but it's just not right timing for me. But whatever thoughts of regret I might come up, i can never say no to my girlfriend. Not a chance.

"Where is this supposed to be battle arena anyway?" I asked as the car timely stopped at our destination. "Oh, you'll see. Now come on before the train leaves us." We dashed out of the car as my eyes quickly lured in to the magnificent creation descending upon me. The Grand Central. It was more ethereal, soulful and benevolent. I couldn't afford a blink.

"Wow." I muttered in awe. "What? Don't you have a Grand Central in your timeframe?" Lisa was curious.

"We have. But it just feels so different in this time."

"Well then let yourself be enthralled." She smiles at me as she intertwines her hand with mine "Let's go." And on cue, we head forth to the entrance. We quickly got a train and entered a exclusive VIP coach which is only destined for us since I needed to inform my mother about this trip and with that she ended managing our transportation engagements including this train ride.

...

"You did what?!"

"We rented a whole island."

"And a castle. Technically."

"I didn't know you can just rent the Pollepel Island."

"Apparently you can. Just bribe them with a lot of money and you're good to go."

"You did that? Lisa I-"

"No. The three brothers did."

In complete disbelief we jumped in on a boat and before I knew it we were already on the infamous Bannerman Castle. From what I know it was used as an arsenal warehouse on the early 1900s but things got out of business when Bannerman died and left his children which were unlikely businessmen to handle the family conglomerate. It was a disaster after his death, the arsenal castle deteriorated when an unknown fire ate the structure. After that incident they just decided to just leave this place abandoned and move out. I have heard about the island in between the business text books that I've read but never did I dared to visit. Hopefully it's not horrifying and old as it was in the 21st century. The island was in Route 9, Eastern side of the Hudson river and we needed to take boat ride to reach there. I wonder how it would look like in a 1965 filter.

It wasn't a look ride and as soon as I step foot on the umber ground I instantly felt the gentle breeze swooning our skins. A weekend welcome that I fancy. We then proceeded to the Bannerman's vacation home which was meters away from the castle. And as soon Lisa put down her equipment case, three gentlemen appeared. It was Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Kai all fancied up with their slicked hairs, tanned skins, patterned shorts and bright buttoned polos for the weekend. "Lisa! Finally!" Chanyeol quickly greeted Lisa with an embrace and so did the rest.

"You brought company." Baekhyun quickly eyed on me. "Yes, I did. If you don't mind." Lisa said. "Of course not! Miss Kim it's so nice of you to join us on our little getaway." The eldest quickly welcomed her with his charm. "I see no harm in spontaneous adventures." Jen appealed.

"Come in and settle yourselves inside." Then they guided us as we entered, the interiors were clearly inspired by scottish castle remnants.  Pertaining a neo-chivalric imagery which a scottish place should behold devoured the interior design. An aesthetic too good not be delighted. "Bannerman got taste." I said in admiration as my eyes wandered the walls, the ceilings, furnishings and the floors. "What I exactly said." Kai said in agreement.

"You should settle yourselves upstairs and we can commence the battle later." Chanyeol prompted and we then went up. They gave us the keys to our room on the upper floor of the house but as we set our keys together in the knob to open, I looked at Lisa from a distance. "Babe." I called.

"Ssh. They might hear you." She warned me with cautiousness. I just huffed a laugh and rolled my eyes, "Let's share a room."

"Say what now?" She looked baffled. "I don't want to be alone." I excused, barely. 

"They'll question us."

"We will think of something."

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Uhm. Best friends who can't sleep without each other?"

"Don't be silly." Lisa dared to roll her eyes on me. "You're really hard to get these days." I vexed as I crossed my arms. "Is this a strategy of yours, Manoban?"

"If it seems like it, then yes." She mockingly smirked. "What do you want?" I simply said.

"I don't want them to get suspicious okay?" Her eyebrows were too concerned I was ready to shave it bald. I exasperated, "I told you, we're best friends-"

"-who can't sleep without each other? Wow. Great . Thanks." Lisa still saw it as irrelevant "You know that's ed up Jennie." She again deadpanned me with an unimpressed tone. I dropped off my keys and went to her room's direction. Slowly. Looking her from head to toe at every step that I took forward. It was time to build the endearing ambiance again. I insisted to open the door for her and as the knob Lisa's door I can feel my salacity grinning. The urge for her skin. "What are you doing, baby?" Lisa suspiciously looked at me as I was already facing her while she was still outside.

"You know what,"I quickly pulled her by the collar and her neck was close to my lips, I exhaled as I eerily whispered "The only thing that'd up tonight is us in bed." And as the bedroom door holds shut, it was only her and I. For the mean time.

Lisa can thank me later.

...

Now, the afternoon sun has arrived causing us to change our wardrobes and bucket ourselves with hats and some sunglasses while the fence masters were already in battle session. And by masters, I mean Lisa and Chanyeol. We were at the abandoned Bannerman castle which had a giddy atmosphere, jolly wind, and a fruitful ground, an ironic description to what the place's entitled to be. 

"Can I ask you a question if you don't mind?" Baekhyun suddenly turned into me as he was sitting on his chair with crossed legs. I hesitated at first but I eventually nodded. "Remind me again why you became close with Lisa?" He grew curious, but more like doubtful. I almost choked but I had no time to panick, "Uhm. Well we've been acquaintances for a long time and it's just so timely that she's been doing shoots with my circle of friends I-"

"Friends?"

"Oh, associates I mean. Pardon." I gulped nervously. "I don't know, she's fun to be with. We hang out a lot of time so we got close." I continued to explain.

"Well the fun part is true though. You'll never have a dull moment when Manoban is with you."

"That's why I love her." I humbly muttered as my eyes looked across from a far. My dear Lisa. I can only feel my heart flutter at the thought of her. Of my love.

"Shouldn't they be stopping now?" I spoke out of concern because their fencing took longer than usual. "What those competitive slugs? Not a chance." Kai who was on an orange striped deck chair next to me answered. "They were the biggest rivals back when we were on the academy. But when we graduated they eventually established the friendship everyone hoped for because they were so competitive of each other that it needed to stop." Baekhyun added. "Even I can't stand them sometimes. I mean look at them." Kai redirected his gaze to the two in battle, "They really borrowed an island just to do this." He continued. We laughed as the hilarity of the moment sweeped among us. "Well, we are all kids who play somehow." I presumed. "True. I wonder when will we grow out of it. Hmm." Baekhyun questioned. "Us? Maybe. You? Never." The younger brother answered. "Considering the s you've been doing." He suddenly added which gained him a slap on the head from Baekhyun. "I'll choke you with a sabre if you say that again." The eldest warned his brother's sarcasm.

I didn't continue to listen as I was deep into my thoughts again. Kids who play. Somehow. Well isn't that a fortune though? You grow up, the modernity of life shackles you and at some point you forget the essence of youth. You want everything the elder people have so you forget the aptitude of the juvenile. The bloodrush, the adrenaline — the play. Youth is the springtime of life, so why would you stop yourself from being a kid when it's the only time you've ever felt alive? Jennie, why did you stop?

I sighed at my thoughts. What a contradiction does t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter