[Late]

selective.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Late]

 

 

 

Her daughter couldn't see the world through her eyes, and mostly it was a good thing that she couldn't. She saw excitement and possibilities; Irene saw danger and a world of uncertainty. She wanted to walk out of the house after dark, and why should she not? She was adult height, not yet adult weight, fast and strong; but Irene couldn't help but worry.

 

-

 

"You have to be kidding me," Yeri crossed her arms, "You can't just take him away from me,"

 

"No, I can't. But Wendy can."

 

The young girl grumbled under her breath, "Fine. Do whatever you want," Yeri stood up from the couch. Irene raised her eyebrows. She didn't expect it to be so easy.

 

"Oh," Yeri walked towards her room, "I'm going out tonight," Irene rolled her eyes. She couldn't enjoy her victory even for a minute, "Be back before 11:30pm," She was older now, she could stay longer outside, but not too much.

 

"Yeah, yeah," Yeri waved a lazy hand and left.

 

Irene sighed. At least, they got Kris away from her. Yeri was safe. The only thing that bothered Irene now was Yeri's attitude. It should come back to normal with time. One thing at a time.

 

-

 


"We did it," Irene raised her cup on the air. Wendy nodded and followed suit. They clinked their glasses. The two girls decided to celebrate their little victory with a bottle of wine over Irene's house. It was a great excuse to call Wendy over, Irene thought. She had always wanted some alone time with Wendy.

 

"It was way easier than we thought,"

 

"Indeed,"

 

It was 11:30pm., Yeri wasn't home yet, but surprisingly Irene hadn't noticed.

 

"Thank you for this," Irene smiled at the girl in front of her on the couch, "You are amazing,"

 

Here we go.

 

"I told you I would do anything for you," Wendy scooted closer to her.

 

"What would I do without you,"

 

"You are exaggerating, Irene. The only thing I did was expell him."

 

"You also found out about Yeri's relationship and protected her,"

 

"I did," Wendy became shy and averted Irene's gaze. Irene scooted a few inches closer to her.

 

Comfortable silence followed. The silence caressed their skin like a cool summer breeze, smoothing their soul, taking away their jagged edges. It had been one hell of a rough day for both of them.

 

Irene locked eyes with Wendy. Her silence was somehow comforting and spoke for itself, it was peaceful in a way that made Irene feel at home and know that no matter what was happening, she was forever there for her. She pushed Wendy's blonde hair behind her shoulder, revealing her whole face.

 

"You're beautiful." Irene said that without thinking. She didn't regret it, though. She meant it.

 

"Stop lying," Wendy's cheeks flushed a bright pink. Maybe they drunk too much wine, maybe Wendy looked too alluring that day, Irene didn't know but she leaned closer to Wendy's lips. Her left hand rested on Wendy's neck, slightly pulling her closer.

 

"It's true, though," Irene whispered and went for Wendy's lips. She couldn't wait no more. She had been waiting for two years. Finally, she would feel Wendy's soft-

 

Wendy's phone rang. They both quickly backed away.

 

Of course, Irene thought, it wouldn't be that easy.

 

They couldn't look at each other in the eye. "Sorry," Wendy mumbled and picked up the phone.

 

"H-Hello?"

 

"Where are you? It's almost midnight. I thought we were going to have a sleepover," Irene could hear Seulgi's voice from the other side.

 

Damn it, Seulgi.

 

Wendy took a short breath in, "Sorry, Seul. I'll be there in a few," Wendy finally managed to say.

 

Thanks a lot, Seulgi.

 

Irene rolled her eyes. They looked at each other for less than a second before looking away again, "I have to go, Seulgi's waiting for me," Wendy stood up, "It's almost midnight, shouldn't Yeri be back by now?"

 

Irene frowned, looking lost for a second, then turned to look at the clock on the wall. Indeed it was pretty late. Realisation hit her and she stood up with a light gasp.

 

"Oh my," Irene covered with a palm.

 

Yeri was never late.

 

"She was supposed to be here half an hour ago," Irene panicked.

"Give her a call," Wendy suggested with a calm voice. "You're right," Irene mumbled and quickly grabbed her phone. The room fell silent, both of them close to the ringing phone, waiting for Yeri to answer. The phone kept ringing. No answer.

 

"," Irene cursed under her breath. Yeri always answered her phone immediately. "She's not answering," Irene turned to Wendy. She ran a hand through her hair, "How could I forget," She opened her phone again. Maybe Yeri was busy. She could try again.

 

Beep beep beep.

 

No answer again.

 

"Where is she," Irene sighed.

 

"Don't worry we'll find her. Give

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter