[Two Years]

selective.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Two Years]

 

 

Two years have passed since Yeri came to this school. Two whole years. It was amazing how she managed to make lots of friends in such a short amount of time. Something she had never been able to do during her 6 years of going to her previous school.

 

Her mother was very proud of this achievement of hers. It was a big improvement. Even the doctor had said that Yeri's doing great. Selective mutism wasn't a bother anymore. Yeri had been fighting since young, and she finally made it.

 

Irene's favorite moment during these two years was when Yeri finally talked to Wendy. It was a Sunday evening. Wendy and Seulgi had invited them for dinner, just like every Sunday and Saturday evening. Wendy was now part of their little group. The four girls were inseparable.

 

Irene knocked and the door opened in a heartbeat. "Hello, girls," Wendy greeted them. "Hey," Yeri said in a mere whisper but it was more than enough to make Wendy jump all around the house in glee.

 

That was half a year ago. Wendy and Yeri have exchanged many words since then.

 

"I love Wendy unnie and Seulgi unnie eqIually," Yeri said once.

 

But there wasn't only a bright side during these two years.

 

Yes, Yeri might have started speaking more confidently, but this wasn't always positive. Yeri had became a bit...edgy.

 

She wasn't a little girl anymore and she never would be again. No longer did she hang on her mom's words or wanted to be just like her. Now their similarities irked her and she was determined to be as different as possible.

 

"Leave me alone," Yeri said, focused on the TV.

 

Her mother had been trying for at least an hour to make her go study. Her grades weren't the same. For some reason the young girl didn't study like she used to.

 

One day a few months ago she bagged up all of her clothes and took them to the thrift store, coming home with a whole new bunch – black, black and more black. Irene hoped it was a phase. Seventeen year olds always refused to do what their parents said.

 

Ugh, teenagers.

 

Even the Biology teacher, miss Park, had called Irene to the school, "Is she okay?" Miss Park -or Joy, as Wendy called her- had asked her that day.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She is constantly in her own world, she looks lost. She doesn't participate like she used to."

 

Irene frowned. What could possibly keep Yeri distracted during her favorite lesson.

 

"Thankfully, she doesn't cause any trouble."

 

Well, that was...nice? At least Yeri was quiet.

 

"Look at this," The Biology teacher showed her two different papers, "She wrote this one a few months ago," She showed her a well written Biology test with a red 98% on top. "And this one," The teacher revealed the second paper, "She wrote this one a few days ago."

 

Irene took the paper in her hands. "Sixty five percent," She read.

 

Miss Park nodded, "That's what I mean,"

 

Irene sighed, disappointment visible on her face. "I'll have a talk with her."

 

And that's what she did. Or at least, tried to do.

 

"Miss Park showed me your test,"

 

"So what?" Yeri said without looking away from her phone.

 

"Look at me when you're talking,"

 

"I'll do whatever I want."

 

With white knuckles from clenching her fist too hard, and gritted teeth from effort to remain silent, Irene walked further into the room and grabbed the device from the younger one's hands.

 

"Enough with this." Irene said with a demanding voice. That was the first time she raised her voice at Yeri. The girl, though, looked unbothered.

 

"At least let me send that text,"

 

"No," Irene walked towards the door, "Go study."

 

"What's wrong with you," She heard Yeri whisper before closing the door.

 

Irene didn't like one bit of this behaviour but she didn't know what to do about it.

 

"Let her be. She's a teenager," Wendy once told her. But Irene couldn't stand this kind of behaviour. She knew that there was a reseaon behind this- there had to be. She couldn't just 'let her be'.

 

Often the stronger the maternal bond the harder the teenage years are for a daughter. She seeks to brea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter