what she cannot say

Found You in Fragments
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Wendy, I think I’ve already fallen for you.”

 

Irene huffs after finally saying it. She never thought she’d be in this situation, years after being married and raising kids. She feels giddy and nervous and she supposes she’d faint the longer Wendy keeps silent.

 

“A-are you sure?”

 

Wendy asks tentatively. She’s hiding a smile, but Irene knows her sudden confession caught her by surprise.

 

“Yeah. I am.”

 

Irene nods this time. She is being selfish but it feels like a lot and too much that she’s about to burst. She knows she unconsciously grins in the middle of the day whenever Wendy crosses her mind. Nanny Jin has been giving her curious looks and Solar had once called her out on it, considering they've only seen each other twice in the past week.

 

She is allowing herself to be selfish and to feel all these things she didn’t think possible.

 

There are consequences and she knows that. She has thought of those things so well. But right now, in this bubble she shares with Wendy, she lets it push away all other issues for once. Well, at least for tonight.

 

Wendy’s smile is bright in front of her. This is their time. They spend another hour talking until their eyes were too droopy to keep up with the conversation.

 

“We still have tomorrow,” Wendy says for a good night. It’s reminiscent of that first night Wendy comes knocking on her door.

 

And despite Irene’s experience and distrust with borrowed time, Irene desperately hopes they have enough in this lifetime.

 

---

 

Jisoo huffs and marches towards the washroom, caught between wanting to bury herself in bed and wanting to leave. For anyone else, she looks like she’s just a cranky spoiled kid. But she’s frustrated and maybe a little angry. She has plenty of reasons but she has no care to enumerate them one by one as she goes through her daily routine and readies herself for school.

 

Unsurprisingly, she is the first among the siblings to get up. She grabs the box of cereal from the counter and milk from the fridge. Nanny Jin comes in with more food, stopping to look at her.

 

Jisoo feels the question coming. Nanny Jin has always been like a second mother to her. Instead, she derails her train of thought.

 

“Are we the only ones awake?”

 

Nanny Jin laughs as Jisoo digs in her food without interest. It’s as if she’s just eating to pass the time.

 

“Your brother’s getting ready, don’t worry. Mina woke up early and moved to your mom’s room. I’ll wake them all up in a bit. You’re just early.”

 

Jisoo nods, before eyeing the dining table curiously.

 

“Why is there a lot of food?”

 

Nanny Jin smiles fondly at her. Was she missing something?

 

“I just felt happy, that’s all. Irene’s finally getting some sleep and she’s been eating better recently, too. Before you four, I took care of her first, you know? I just thought I’d cook her favorites today.”
 

Jisoo finally smiles. Nanny Jin has always been sweet and caring. She has long accepted the fact that her mother will always be Nanny Jin’s favorite, and it’s non-competition between her and her siblings.

 

“Are you okay, Jis?”

 

Nanny Jin’s attention is on her again and she is honestly not okay. Reminded of the previous night, she forces a smile. It feels like she’s going crazy but she’s not about to tell anyone, especially not someone this close to her mom.

 

“Just a lot of things going on at school.”

 

That excuse always works, even though school is pretty much uneventful these days.

 

Nodding, Nanny Jin pats her shoulder as she passes by her.


“I’ll go wake Yeri. Please eat some more.”

 

She can smell the food and on any other day, she would. But she’s really not in the mood today. When she hears scuffling from beside her, she hurries to get up.

 

“Great, you’re here. Come on.”

 

“I haven’t even eaten yet…?” Minhyuk is equally annoyed. It’s early and he’s hungry.

 

Huffing, Jisoo stomps towards the kitchen.

 

“We're bringing this and eating outside school.”

 

Minhyuk concedes anyway, helping his grumpy sister pack their food.

 

---

 

Sitting on the steps on the other side of the building, Minhyuk and Jisoo eat their breakfast in silence. At least Minhyuk is. Jisoo stopped after taking three bites.

 

His sister is staring far away deep in thought. He knows Jennie is running late. And for some reason, Sowon is too. So they’re stuck together for a few more minutes before the bell rings.

 

“You didn’t tell mom, did you?”

 

Jisoo visibly startles when he talks. Then, shakes her head. “I… fell asleep after talking on the phone with Jennie.”

 

Minhyuk hums then takes another bite of the sandwich. He prods again.

 

“Then, why are you sulky?”

 

While Jisoo is often annoyed, this thing is quite a big deal. She’s spacing out and hurrying out of the house. Maybe she and Jennie had a fight? Though he highly doubts that.

 

“I don’t think Jennie will be mad,” he adds when all he gets is a shrug.

 

“She’s too nice to be mad.” Jisoo agrees and still doesn’t answer his question.

 

---

 

Standing outside the now familiar studio, Minhyuk is less nervous. He admits to Sowon that he enjoyed the hip hop class. And now they’re back.

 

Like last week, Sowon is quiet since they entered the place, fidgeting with the straps of her bag that Minhyuk offered to take.

 

From the partition, he can see the on-going class. Sowon excuses herself for the bathroom and Minhyuk continues to watch. Engrossed at the sight, he fails to notice that he’s blocking the door from the adjacent room. Teacher Byul steps out, phone against her ear, and almost bumps into him.

 

“Sol- aah!”

 

He takes a step back, bowing deep in apology. The teacher then pats him on the shoulder in acknowledgment before returning out the studio and returns to her call.

 

They’re stretching by the time Teacher Byul comes back to usher them to the dance floor. After hearing the music, Minhyuk is already pumped up for today’s choreography. Glancing at Sowon, he immediately smiles. The girl is too focused reviewing the steps to notice him. Not until she catches his eye in the mirror and they share a warm smile. Normally, it would result to teasing and laughter. But this time, Sowon actually sends him her most genuine smile.

 

He couldn’t stop his heart from skipping a beat at that.

 

There’s an air of comfort in this room of mirrors and lacquered floors. He doesn’t even remember why he felt shy before when all he feels right now is freedom.

 

When the class ends and everyone else leaves, Minhyuk is still ecstatic and full of confidence. While Sowon is putting her things back in her bag, he can’t help but compliment the girl.

 

“You’re really good at dancing, Sowon. Maybe we should do this more often.”

 

Minhyuk gasps after the last word but it’s too late. He never thought he’d ever say this but here he is now. An elated Minhyuk is a straightforward one and he can’t believe he just said all that to Sowon in one go.

 

Sowon looks at him with a timid smile and his heart almost breaks at the apologetic smile. Was he too forward? Did he put her off?

 

“I’m glad you enjoyed this. Please do continue dancing. You did so well, I couldn’t even stop watching you.”

 

Minhyuk feels warm creeping on his cheeks at the compliments but she still looks a little sad. Did he do something wrong?

 

“Minhyuk. Sowon. You’re both really talented. I hope to see you again in class.”

 

“Thank you, Teacher.” Both speak at the same time though Sowon’s voice is far too soft.

 

“And Sowon, I guess we’re having lunch on Saturday? Sol told me a lot about you. I do want to get to know you more.”

 

Sowon bows and is seemingly tongue-tied. Though she did catch it soon enough to say an ‘I’ll see you then.’

 

Minhyuk ponders on their teachers’ words for a bit as they step out the studio. He stops walking around the corner, looking at Sowon questioningly.


He already heard their teacher talking to a certain Sol earlier, but didn’t link the connection immediately.

 

Sowon sighs in front of him. She’s looking down. Shy? Afraid?

 

“I asked you to come with me so I can meet her before she meets me. I didn’t realize she’d recognize me.”

 

“Was that why you were so worried? What’s there to worry about?”

 

“You wouldn’t understand.” Sowon’s voice is a little shaky now.

 

“Then, explain it to me.”

 

He’s aware she has issues. It seeps out in their conversations every once in a while. And they’ve talked about Aunt Solar’s dating in the past week. So he doesn’t know why this is a problem now.

 

“Everybody likes you. Your teachers, your classmates… even those freshmen girls glare at me for hanging out with you. Without putting any effort, you leave a good impression… But I… I have to work for it.”

 

Sowon is a headstrong girl and Minhyuk is very aware of that. She’s also beautiful, and intelligent, and kind.

 

“What do you mean? You’ve always had a good impression on me.”

 

Sowon swallows a lump in , visibly taken aback, before she explains her side again.

 

“That’s different. You’ve known me before I was… this. Now, I’m just a snarky, selfish, spoiled rich bi-”

 

“Hey,” he interrupts, reaching for her arm. “Don’t say that. You’re not those things.”

 

“I’ve changed!” Her voice breaks and it makes his heart break too.

 

“I’m not as lovely as I used to be when we were kids.”

 

Minhyuk looks at her but she’s avoiding his eyes. He nods.

 

“You’re right. You’ve changed.”

 

There’s hurt in Sowon’s expression that she never let anybody else see. Her eyes are rimmed with tears and Minhyuk wants to wipe them off.

 

“I like you much better now. You’re a lot braver and you’re more lovable now. So what if you’re rich? You have no control over that. Snarky? You’re just like this because you’re afraid to get hurt again by the ones you love.”

 

She wipes her tears and Minhyuk takes out a handkerchief from his pocket.

 

“But hey, Teacher Byul said it herself. Your mom talks a lot about you. She loves you for who you are and because of that Teacher Byul already looks at you with only

Please log in to read the full chapter