impulsive decisions and angry girlfriends

Found You in Fragments
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jisoo huffs as she marches from the doorway. She hears Yeri run after her, but she’s already too pissed. She’d rather not have a quarrel with her sister right now.

 

“You’re home early. I thought you’re going to the new café with Jennie?” Irene walks towards them from the kitchen, handing each a piece of cookie.

 

“Jennie ditched her for a cool guy.” A panting Yeri speaks before she can. She kisses Irene’s cheek then left for her bedroom, not before sticking out a tongue at her older sister.

 

“Shut up, Yeri!” Jisoo rolls her eyes and sits on the couch, trying to catch her breath from all that brisk walking.

 

She looks to her side and sees her mom eyeing her curiously.

 

“That boy from 12th grade asked her out today to watch a movie. But who dates just because they’re handsome? He’s not smart. He doesn’t even play any sport!”

 

Irene chuckles, unable to hide her amusement. Despite looking like a young lady, Jisoo is still cute. Which sounds a bit cocky, considering how much they look alike.

 

Jisoo groans. “Mom, it’s not funny.”

 

“Sorry.” Irene says, only slightly apologetic. “Are you annoyed because she has a date and you don’t?”

 

“No!” Jisoo exclaims, eyes growing big and hands flailing as she explains, “I’d rather not date if it’s with a guy like that.”

 

“Hmm.” Irene’s amusement grows, but doesn't let it show. “So why are you mad?”

 

“I-“ Jisoo tilts her head as if in thought. “Because… he’s not even great! He doesn’t deserve someone as wonderful as Jennie!”

 

Irene raises and eyebrow, surprised at the turn of the conversation. “You’re jealous that such a guy caught Jennie’s attention?”

 

Jisoo nods absentmindedly. When the words sink in, she protests, “Wait – wha – mom! I-I’m not jealous of him!”

 

“Okay honey. If you say so.”

 

Irene isn’t sure what to think of Jisoo’s actions so she just lets it go. Her daughter’s response isn’t helping her understand, either.

 

---

 

Irene almost has a heart attack at the blood-curdling scream from the upstairs bedroom. She sprints up the stairs and is greeted by a crying Mina, startled and awoken by the same noise.

 

She carries her youngest daughter and walks up the attic. Jisoo is standing there – smirk disappearing into a fake frown as soon as she sees her mother approaching.

 

“What is happening here?!” Irene asks, enunciating every word. All four children stop moving at the voice, looking as if somebody just growled at them. Jisoo tries to step away but is stopped by Irene’s piercing gaze.

 

“Jisoo told me to get her book from the drawer – “ Yeri starts, eyeing her smirking sister standing behind Irene.

 

Minhyuk interrupts his younger sister. “But instead of doing that, I caught Yeri playing with the playstation and she threatened to reset my games!”

 

“Why would Yeri threaten you?” Irene asks in a more calm but still firm tone.

 

Jisoo steps forward now and accuses her brother. “You only caught Yeri because you were going to play as well.” Jisoo faces their mom then. “Minhyuk grabbed the console from her so Yeri threatened him. Okay, I’ll go now.”

 

“Why is Jisoo getting away with this? She is at fault, too!” Minhyuk complains. Irene must have missed the beginning of the story.

 

“What? Did she also play the playstation on this supposedly fine day – a weekday, I must emphasize – a day you are not allowed to play games?”

 

“But – !” Irene turns to Yeri, always the bravest one, and continues her story “She told me to get a book from the drawer and that’s where I saw it! She planned to scare me!” Yeri is screaming again, and it only takes Irene half a second to find what she was talking about.

 

The low sound coming from a mere ten steps away from her made her heart jump out of her chest. She steps back, bumping into Jisoo who just laughs loudly.

 

Jisoo picks up the toad in front of her and exclaims, “But isn’t it cute!” in a mocking tone. Mina cries again, having seen the little creature up close and Yeri lets out another shriek.

 

Irene shuts her eyes and lets out an exasperated sigh. She loves everything about her children – their adorable faces, little quirks, strengths and weaknesses and all – but she can’t help but internally cry at times like these when they combine to give her a heart attack.

 

---

 

Wendy thinks Irene must be a supermom to take care of her kids on her own, not that she had a choice, but still. It feels like watching the main character in a movie. At the end of the day, she stands tall – in Wendy’s perspective – and strong despite the trials and challenges along the way.

 

Seulgi, who is now based in Japan, had been bugging Wendy to reach out to Irene again. Especially when she found out about her possible move to Seoul.

 

Wendy, in her defense, had been sending encouraging messages to Irene in the trio’s group chat. While their messages are all nice and sent with good intentions, these are also rigid and may seem impersonal. She accepts the fact that she’ll have to make more effort to bring back the kind of friendship they once had.

 

She takes the first step now.

 

Ten minutes has passed and she’s still typing and deleting words. She’s distracted enough to forget the meal boiling in her kitchen, luckily putting out the fire just in time for it to remain edible. Once she has her meal on her plate, she resumes the mental battle of sending such a simple message.

 

She scoffs at herself.

 

What is wrong with you?

 

She’s never been shy. But this time, she racks her brain for what to say.

 

Hi Irene! I’ll be in the city this Friday. Want to catch-up? - Wendy

 

It’s just a simple three-sentence text. One of which is a greeting. So simple yet it takes all her willpower to press send.

 

This nervousness stems from guilt. Yes. Plainly. No other reason than that.

 

It’s been… fifteen years? Wendy hasn’t talked to Irene for that long. After the latter’s wedding, they haven’t been in contact. Not until her husband’s death.

 

Irene’s one of the few classmates who married right after graduation. It’s not as if it was unexpected. They’ve been together half of their college years and they were so in love. Nobody has ever loved Irene more than he did. Except, maybe…

 

1 new message

 

The sound of Wendy’s phone brings her out of her stupor and she almost drops her spoon. She wonders how she can sleep three full nights with the thought of lunch with Irene on her mind.

 

---

 

Wendy fumbles with the napkin on her lap. She scans the menu for a good meal to order just to preoccupy her mind. She smiles when she sees lemon chicken on th

Please log in to read the full chapter