chapter 3.

highschool (almost) lovers.

so, i sat there, by myself, simply nodding off the teacher and bowing as she left, keeping the music room to myself. i sat down on the floor, quickly ate, then started playing the piano. i played one of my own compositions, alien, and as i was reading the chords, i started singing along to the lyrics under. i would sometimes stop to scribble new words, or replace it, or whatever would fit my liking, but i would always listen to it fully before making the changes. that means that i would finish the verse before making any changes.

 

“you have a nice voice.”

 

a voice said, and i was too in the zone to really look back and check who it was, or even recognize the voice. it was probably donghyuk, but that’s highly unlikely, he’d never compliment me on my voice. the most likely person it could be was yunhyeong, but… wasn’t he absent today?

 

“thanks,”

 

i look over my shoulder, only to be greeted by junhoe walking over and forcing me to scooch to the side, giving him space to sit down next to me. i had to hold in my breath, blushing deeply, fanning myself, only to hear another noise, one that passed by junhoe’s ears like nothing. i looked behind again and saw hanbin, my best friend, eyes as wide as mine. but, the little er just gave a big grin and a thumbs up, then made smoochy faces. i flipped him off before he left and gave us the alone time.

 

“can you play it again?” junhoe asked, his broad shoulders against mine. if awhile ago was close, this is practically 2nd base to me. i have mixed feelings about this. i felt that if i played my piece, i’d fumble and mess up, just because an attractive man was watching me play it. just a few seconds of thinking what i did in my past life to deserve this, i nodded, and began playing the piece again.

 

“no. again.”

 

“excuse me?”

 

“you’re just playing it.”

 

“that’s what you told me to do.”

 

“play it completely.”

 

“i will if you’d let me-”

 

“with the singing.”

 

ah , does he want me dead or something? i sighed, closing my eyes, letting my fingers find the right notes, and started playing again. my voice was way softer compared to when i was alone, too shy to even do this, but here i am. doing this. i felt junhoe lean a little to his side, too close that our arms made contact, and right now, i felt that strawberries seemed pale compared to how red i was. he started to harmonize with my singing, and my god, he had a beautiful voice. instead of feeling shy, i just felt bad. like, jesus, i’m already the musical kid, and he’s everything perfect, and now he can take my place as the musical kid. please, leave something for the needy.

 

i soon stopped and cleared my throat, looking over to the male right next to me, watching as he read the notes and the lyrics, those damned lips once more. i guess it was something he did when he was concentrated. it’s ing attractive, and i hate him for that.

 

“you made this?”

 

“yeah.”

 

“it’s beautiful.”

 

just like you.

 

i smiled, looking away before we could meet eyes, too flustered to say anything. i was about to reply back, but the bell cut me off, and as much as i hate this damn place, that moment just made me hate it even more. we both got up, i started collecting my papers and my bag, noticing him waiting for me by the door, so that i could get out before he turned the lights off and locked the door. , even that was really endearing?! what the , koo junhoe!

 

“i’ll see you during math.”

 

“that’s our last subject, right?”

 

“mhm.”

 

“okay. bye.”

 

and no other words were exchanged, except for a nice smile and a walk to different directions. i came across hanbin and donghyuk, sharing the same english class with them, and i stuck my tongue out at the nonstop teasing.