Chapter 1 (Edited)

I Will Wait For You Even If It Takes Forever

A/N: This is the edited version. Please vote below whether you prefer the original or the edited version! Thank you!

A/N: Hi everyone, I'm the new co-author for this story! //flails arms in excitement// Once you've read this, please don't be afraid to share your honest opinions and constructive criticism down below as they can help me to improve my writing as well! If you prefer the original version, I shall withdraw from my position as co-author but for those who prefer my writing style, don't worry as I've got my own ideas coming up as well! I just don't know when they'll be out and published. //cries// OTL. Anyways, thank you everyone and hopefully you enjoy this chapter as much as I did writing it! 

 

-----------
 


“Father, I am the crowned Prince of this kingdom. Could I please request an explanation on why I have to go to the scholar school and study with other people!?” Shixun let out a huff of breath, vexed at the thought of having to put on a facade in front of people who could care less about him and more about the crown on his head.

Light, almost muted, footsteps littered onto the pathway lined with polished stones to the King’s Chamber. Years of training to having the perfect posture, stance and even the way to walk is shown through every one of Shixun’s long strides.

The warmth of the sun rays seeped into the silk clothes hugging his slender figure. His long, silky black hair rests just against his tailbone, with the hair on top of his head being held and bunned with an exquisite looking headpiece.

In his peripheral vision, he could see the beautiful and familiar ponds and trees which lined up the path to the chamber. His father did have an interest towards these kinds of things. But alas, the great weather and scenery would have to be brushed aside today, for he had much more important things to settle.

“You just said the reason yourself. You are the crowned Prince of the kingdom.” The towering doors of the chamber swung open, welcoming the King and his displeased son.

“All the more you should take lessons to expand your knowledge and make some friends in the school. Need I remind you, all students in that school are the sons of our country’s minister?" The hint of annoyance in the King’s voice did not go unnoticed by Shixun.

If anything, it urged him to speak out more about his thoughts.

“But I don’t want to, I’m not interested in making friends with those minister’s
kids. If father wishes for me to study, it can be done simply in the solitude of my chamber! There certainly isn’t a need for me to go to school.” Shixun crossed his arms.

The thought of going to school and interacting with those kids simply irks him to no end.

It truly isn’t due to the fact that he hates the town; Hate is too strong of a word. On the contrary, he loves it immensely. Often times, he would sneak out to play and have fun with the commoners who would treat him as an equal. Furthermore, he isn’t too fond of the idea of travelling to the town to study as it takes away too much of his free time.

Also, under Shixun’s watchful eye, the ulterior motives of the ministers did not go unnoticed. After his interactions with every single one of them, he quickly realised that they were only faking their smiles and praises because of his status as the Prince.

Shixun’s observant nature had been nurtured through Yifan’s countless recounts of how their mother had been a smart, kind and tough woman. Unlike the many other concubines of the King, she did not fall under the spell of riches and status. The King had loved her the most because of that, but unfortunately, she passed away soon after she had conceived Shixun.

However, that didn’t stop Shixun’s admiration for his mother. Instead, it urged him to strive to be just like her.

“Shixun.”

The King had taken his seat in the King’s chamber, making him appear much more daunting, even to his own son. 

Even though Shixun is the King’s most precious son whom he dotes on the most, he most certainly cannot say he is pleased with his son’s insolent and presumptuous behaviour.

“I do not care. I am your father as well as the King of this kingdom, and this is an order. It is a must for you to listen to me if you do not want to be punished.” The King said with a tone of finality.

However, nobody in the chamber allowed themselves to be deceived by the King’s stoic expression. They have been working in this Kingdom long enough to know that the King was in fact seething with rage and they were scared out of their wits. When the King speaks in such a tone, he means business.

Shixun furrowed his eyebrows in frustration, ready to voice out his complaints. However, before he could even open up his mouth to utter a single word, his brother, Yifan, had cut him off while taking long strides into the chamber, “Father, don’t get angry with Shixun. You know how shy he is when meeting new people. If you really want him to go to the school, may I suggest for myself to accompany him? The both of us can enter the school together. But I do have a few conditions.”

The King raised his eyebrow in confusion. “And what conditions might you have?”

“Please do not let anybody know of the fact that we are the princes and to only appoint us to one guard each. We do not want to draw too much attention by having the people following us.”

The King rubbed his chin in thought and considered. “Hmm, I can agree to your conditions but Yifan, if you go with him, that would mean that you will be learning the same things that you did once before. Is it really okay for you?”

“Yes, father. My only wish is for Shixun to enjoy his time in school, so I think he will be more comfortable around someone he knows so he wouldn’t dislike school even more.”

“Okay then, I will make arrangements for you both to start school next week. You two are excused.”

As soon as the large doors swung close behind them, Shixun snapped.

“Fan-ge! How could you agree to it without my consent!”

“Because, I don’t want you to get punished by our father,” Yifan turned to take a look at his younger brother who was rather red in the face. A light chuckle left him when Shixun only narrowed his eyes even more to glare at the older. “It will be fun, I promise. As long as nobody knows that we are the princes. Also, wouldn’t you agree that it is much better to have others around while studying those boring things?”

“Urgh...Whatever.” With a roll of his eyes, Shixun promptly turned his back on his older brother and stomped off to his own chamber. 

Watching the back of his younger brother slowly moving further and further away, a lone sigh left Yifan's lips.

"When will he realise that not everyone has an ulterior motive when getting to know him?"