Chapter 15

We Were In Love (사랑을 했다)
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Hanna,” Jaebum calls a few times but she doesn't respond.

Hanna seems to have blanked out since she came to the café. “Kim Hanna,” After the failed attempt, Jaebum flicks Hanna's forehead.

 This time Hanna lets out a groan. “Are you crazy? It really hurts!” Hanna rubs the place that got affected.

Jaebum laughs at her and apologizes.

“You were zoning out.” Jaebum sips his coffee.

“Me? Really?” 

He nods his head. “You know, you can tell me what's going on in your head.” 

Hanna looks at him, baffled.

Jaebum smiles at her and proceeds to ruffle her hair. “You shouldn't think too much about my confession. I just wanted to say if you need someone, I'm here.”

For the first time in a while, Hanna’s heart feels warm. At his words, she starts to open up to him and from then they hold some kind of conversation which surprisingly goes well.

 

A few hours later, Jaebum walks Hanna home. It's quite late and Hanna’s neighbourhood is pretty dark at night.

“By the way, I really like your new hair,” Jaebum says out of the blue.

Hanna turns her head to look at him. “Oh…” She touches a strand of her hair. “Really?” 

“It suits you. I liked it better than before. I mean, I like your short hair than long hair.'' He tells her that as they reach her home. Jaebum sighs, not wanting their shared time together to end. "We're here.”

Hanna bites her lips, planning to confess something. “Jaebum…” 

When his eyes met hers, she fixes her orbs in a serious manner. “I really appreciate that you like me even though you know I still have wounds in my heart. I'm really grateful and you're nice but…” She shifts her gaze elsewhere. “I can’t accept your feelings. But that’s not because I don’t like you. I-” 

“I know. I'm not mad at you.” 

Hanna sighs in relief. ''Really sorry.''

He gives her a small smile. ''Don't be.''

Hanna feels she has to hug him after his rejection so she comes closer to wrap her arms around him; he reciprocates.

“Go in. Your mom must be worried.” 

Hanna bids goodbye to him before she goes inside her house which appears dark. She goes to the corner and turns on the lights in the living room.

 

“Mom.” 

No response.

Hanna heads to the kitchen afterwards but sees no one there. However, inside the cabinet, a medicine box is open wide and some medications are lying on the floor.

“These are for a headache,” Hanna mumbles, then puts them back into the cabinet.

“Did she already go to bed?” Hanna asks herself as she climbs the stairs. She sees that the light in her mom's room is on.

“Is she working this late?”

 

She turns the doorknob and opens the door. What she witnesses was shocking. “M-Mom!” Hanna quickly runs over to her who seems unconscious on the ground.

“Mom, mom! Wake up!” Hanna shouts while crying.

The body is terribly cold and is covered with foam. There are some headache medicine and some sleeping pills dispersed on the floor.

“No, no, no, mom! Please… Oh, God.” Hanna tries not to panic. “Phone. Yeah, phone!” Hanna lets her mom go from her grip and fishes for her phone. With trembling hands, she attempts to call Yeri but the other girl doesn’t pick up. She then calls the next number she lays her eyes on which is Sehu

Please log in to read the full chapter