Mina's New Job

Dream Girls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was weird to say Mina’s dream job was to work in the convenience store that was only eight minutes away from her house. The thing is that the store has been around since she was a young girl, she remembered going with her parents to buy snacks whenever they had a movie night. Mina loved those trips and adored the staff so she ended up always wanting to have a job at that specific place. 

 

One could be embarrassed saying that they worked at the convenience store but Kang Mina said her position in the store with all of her pride and heart, not caring what others thought of her. She had enough experience to possibly get another job that is high-paying but she was only in high school, she wanted to enjoy lounging around the store as she would check the stocks every hour or so. 

 

The store wasn’t as popular as Mina hoped for it, in the matter of fact she even heard some shocking news the other day when Chaeyeon and Sohye came over to the store to buy ramen as per usual. 

 

“I’m going to get fat.” Chaeyeon scolded herself before diving in the hot noodles. They sat at the counter near the window, only the three students and Mina’s manager was at the store. 

 

Sohye rolled her eyes at the baker as she excitedly jumps into her ramen. “How’s business?” She asked with full of noodles and Mina cringed at the sight as she grabbed a napkin to wipe the ramen soup from the girl’s cheek. 

 

“What do you think?” She questioned sarcastically as the three all looked around the store in unison. Sohye awkwardly chuckled as she silently went back to eating her noodles, ignoring the annoyed look from Mina. 

 

Chaeyeon digs her nose of her ramen and looked at the convenience store worker in curiosity. “I heard from Sejeong that you’re getting paid lower than usual, are you okay with that?” Her eyebrows now furrowing in concern as Mina let out an annoyed sound. 

 

“It’s fine, unnie.” She waved her off, telling the girl to not get worried and the latter shrugs her shoulders. The store hasn’t been meeting their deadlines and work was going very slow that the poor manager didn’t have enough money to pay Mina’s original paycheque. 

 

Sohye looks shocked as she just heard of the sudden news from Chaeyeon. “Is that true?” She exclaimed in disbelief and Mina rolled her eyes. 

 

“Guys, I’m only in high school.” She reasoned with the two who shook their heads in slight disappointment. 

 

“Yeah, you have a point but you can’t work here forever. You’re going to university in two years!” Chaeyeon points her chopsticks at her, eyeing the upset look on Mina’s face. “Look, Mina-ya. I’m not saying this job is the worst thing in the world, I know you’ve always wanted to work here. We’re just trying to get real and I want you to actually be paid the minimum wage.” She apologetically smiled and Mina heaved a long sigh. 

 

She nodded in agreement, her unnie had a point. “I guess.” Mina shrugged and Sohye patted the girl’s shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. 

 

“My uncle can help you!” She offered with a bright smile. Sohye’s uncle worked in an office and he tried to offer his niece the position at the industry but Sohye politely declined. Then, Mina’s manager approaches the three girls with bad news. 

 

The man tried to smile as best as he could but he was as devastated as he predicted Mina was going to be when he announces the news. “The store is going out of business.” 

 

“Huh!?” The girls simultaneously say, Mina the convenience store worker was the most shocked out of the three and the man sadly smiles in response. 

 

“Only for a couple of weeks... Well, that’s what I’m hoping until I make some agreements with the bank.” He breathed out in nervousness and then eyed Mina, noticing her shocked expression. “I’m sorry, Mina.” He deeply apologized, feeling guilty that he has affected her job but Mina shakes her head in denial. 

 

“There’s no need to apologize, sir.” She says in a sincere tone and clasped her fist. “Is there anything I can do?” Mina asked, earning some hopeful looks from Chaeyeon and Sohye who stood behind the girl, silently telling the man with their looks that they were here to help.

 

The man fondly smiles at their determination and shook his head. “I wish there was but this isn’t like in the movies or in the books, where we can just throw a fundraiser to keep the store going. It’s going to take a lot more than that.” He says in an honest voice, almost crushing their determination and Chaeyeon frowned in disappointment, she was going to miss this place. Where else was she going to force Sohye to buy her favourite ramen? “It would be best if you found a new job in the meantime. I think your parents would enjoy that.” He states, knowing what Mina’s parents thought about when she first said that she was working at the store. 

 

She solemnly nods and her arms hang down in total disappointment. She really liked this job. She then felt a pat on her back and slowly turned her head. “Still want my uncle’s help?” Sohye offered again with a sad smile on her face and Mina quietly groaned in response. 

 

——

 

The man pointed the necessary rooms Mina would need to remember where to locate in the future. “So this is the conference room, that’s the snack room where the coffee maker is.” Mina’s new supervisor emphasized to her as she resisted the urge to roll her eyes, she couldn’t believe that she was now working as the stupid rookie who was going have to fetch people’s coffee and photocopy a bunch of papers. 

 

It’s better than nothing.

 

That’s at least what her mother said when she beamed at the news that the convenience store would be out of business. Mina almost felt betrayed, considering her mother was the one to first bring her to the store. All her mother wanted was for Mina to have a nice stable job and her wish was granted when her daughter told her about Sohye’s uncle helping her land a position in the office he worked at. 

 

“And this is your desk.” The man gestured at the school desk that was poorly placed in the corner of the office, making Mina raise an eyebrow at it. 

 

“Seriously?” She asked informally and the man places the palms of his hands on his hips and gave a threatening look at the rookie. 

 

He asked in a stern tone. “What did you just say?” He knew exactly what Mina said but he just wanted to have a little fun scaring the kid. 

 

Mina hissed to herself and looked down as punishment for her act of disobedient. “I’m sorry, sir.” She robotically says, earning a few claps from the man who smiled in satisfaction. 

 

“That’s what I thought. Now, here are your other co-workers.” He gestured to the two other familiar girls that Mina could recognize in a millisecond. She didn’t know why didn’t recognize the two other desks that were similar to hers and the duo waved at her with a smug smile on their faces. 

 

Mina looks at them with wide eyes, wondering how in the world did these two get jobs in this office and drops in surprise. “Hey, Kang Mina.” Sejeong slyly raised her eyebrow and Somi shoots a quick wink, all of this going unnoticed by Mina’s supervisor as he smiled brightly at the two, showing how biased he was with the three girls. 

 

“I see you have met already!” He exclaimed, harshly patting Mina’s shoulders and the girl really resisted the urge to slap his hand away. “I will leave now.” He states before nudging his head at each girl and received respectful bows from Sejeong and Somi. Meanwhile, Mina was still stunned at the fact that these two idiots were in front of her, sitting in “office” desks and wearing formal attire. Sejeong tied up her hair and wore glasses as Somi already had a short-cut so she just sported the famous circular glasses. 


Mina furrowed her brows at the two who warmly smile at her, gesturing for the girl to sit at her assigned desk. “Isn’t it amazing? We’re working together.” The youngest beamed at Mina who quirked an eyebrow in curiosity. 

 

“How did you even get a job here?” She asked in disbelief and Sejeong scoffed at her tone. 

 

She places a hand on her chest, offended that Mina would ask that in such an unexpected manner. “Excuse me, miss.” Sejeong sassed out and pointed at Somi beside her and then to herself. “We are totally capable of getting jobs just like you.” She finishes out with a “hmph” and Somi decides to answer Mina’s question. 

 

“Sohye helped us.” She quickly explained and Mina cursed to herself, making a mental note to punish Sohye for not telling her that these two dorks were going to be working with her. Whenever there were Sejeong and Somi, that always meant trouble and Mina was always one to blame when she had done nothing. 

 

Mina repeatedly hits her forehead on the desk, hoping that this was a dream while Somi and Sejeong stare at her with a strange expression. “What’s wrong with her?” 

 

 

 

 <

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter