Nayoung's Fencing Match

Dream Girls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“NAYOUNG-UNNIE! WOW! YOU’RE SO COOL!” Sejeong yelled out from the audience— The very quiet audience. Fencing wasn’t the type of sport where they invite the cheerleaders to perform for the halftime show. Nayoung wanted to stab herself with her foil from the embarrassment her annoying friend was giving her. What is a foil? It’s one of the goddamn swords that is used for fencing. 

 

The fencer stood in front of her opponent, quietly murmuring an apology before lowering her headgear. 

 

“En garde!” The ref called out as the two fencers flicked their swords and got in their basic stance. Nayoung lets out a few deep breaths, mentally preparing herself to fence. 

 

“Pret!” 

 

Ready? Nayoung asked herself. Oh hell yeah, she was ready. Sejeong held her breath in, she learned from Nayoung that meant the match was about to start. The girl couldn’t stop bouncing her knee up and down. 

 

“Could you stop that?” Yeunjung annoying asked as she quickly glared at Sejeong, who immediately quiets down. It was already bad enough that Sejeong was embarrassing them. She then went back to sketching designs for clothes in her book. Mina and Sohye gave Sejeong an apologetic look. 

 

“She is right, unnie.” Sohye says in a cautious voice. Mina nods along with her. 

 

“You’re being a little loud.” Mina quickly smiles and the four went back to watching Nayoung— Except for Yeunjung, who kept drawing in her sketchbook. 

 

“Fence!” 

 

Since Nayoung is trained in using the foil, her fencing is a bit different from the others. There were three types of fencing, Foil, Épée and Sabre. Foil is when you target only the torso of your opponent. If Nayoung hits another place such as the head, hands or legs, that’s is an off-target. No points are awarded or deducted but the play will be halted. That’s what at least Mina knows about the sport, the others would be surprised at how much she knew about this sport. Speaking of the others, where were they exactly? Well, the thing about Mina, Sohye and Yeunjung is that they aren’t involved in any sports. So they happily agreed to come watch Nayoung’s match, while the others were busy with their sports. You may ask why the famous runner Kim Sejeong is here? She had some free time and she was definitely the most excited to come to the fencing match. 

 

Nayoung was in deep concentration, she needed to execute the perfect play to get the point. 

 

Lunge. Attack. Touch. 

 

That’s what Nayoung did, except she didn’t touch the opponent’s torso with the tip of her foil. Her opponent quickly parried her lunge, pushing her blade aside. The opponent started to lunge, luckily, Nayoung managed to do a parry. They went back and forth like ping-pong, the two opponents knew that technique was key in scoring points. 

 

Her opponent disengaged the parry and quickly lunged to attack Nayoung. 

 

Crap. This girl is quick. 

 

“Touch!” 

 

Nayoung slightly felt the tip of the foil hit her in the stoma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter