11:41 pm; You Only Live Once

Grad Night

Chan’s car is an old ford truck, it’s a two seater but Chan says me and Jongin can ride in the back, which doesn’t seem very legal but I’ll take it. 

 

We watch from down the street as people flee the house, a pair of cops knocking at the front door. I remember how the backyard looked with everyone rushing to jump the wall. It reminds me of those nature documentaries where a herd of antelope run away from a lion pride. 

 

I call Jongin again, as I have been for the past ten minutes since me and Chan got to his car. It rings for a moment before going to voicemail, it’s frustrating because the other two cops are starting to pick random kids from the street and ask for ID. I see someone take a breathalyzer test and I wince. 

 

“Hey are you good to drive?” I ask “Cause you look a little high” I add bluntly, the alcohol in my system making me more confident 

 

  Chan laughs “I’m good, my girlfriend just transferred from the community college to a university so I promised her I would drive her around where she wanted while she gets wasted.” 

 

I nod and lean deeper into the seat, listening to the indie band Chan has playing from his radio. I want to tell him to turn his car off because the fumes are ruining the ozone layer and it’s just wasting gas. But as soon as the thought comes to me it leaves as I catch sight of a guy supporting a sleepy looking girl towards us. 

 

“There they are” I sit up straight, waving my arms wildly to attract Jongin’s attention. He notices me and waves back, which unfortunately catches the attention of a police officer who starts to walk towards them.

 

 Jongin speed walks to the car, officer a bit behind him. The cop is shouting at him now, my fearful eyes watch the officers gun in its holster. I get out of the front seat and help Jongin move Chan’s small girlfriend into the car. Me and Jongin narrowly escape capture from the cop by jumping into the bed of the truck, Chan speeds off.

 

 

The wind whips through our hair, blasts into our faces and really breathes life into our adventure. The music in the car is loud enough for me and jongin to hear over the wind. At this moment I wasn’t sure where I was going or what would happen but it felt alright. It felt good and I felt good and happy and I think it was more than the alcohol coursing through my body, it was the good music playing from the stereo, the wind in my hair and Jongin sitting next to me feeling the same wind in his face, hearing the same song on the radio and wearing the same smile on his face. 

 

“We’re going to another party guys” Chan shouts out the window, Jongin gives him a thumbs up. 

 

I barely register what they’re saying, I’m looking towards the west , searching for the sea that I know is close by. We’re on the San Diego freeway, to the left is the pacific to the right is a military base it’ll be a while before we even see a town. 

 

We pull over after thirty minutes or so, it’s a camping grounds restroom that smells likes sewage and seaweed. I’m reluctant to get up because I know once I stand the world will shift and I might puke. 

 

“Sehun, Jongin this is Baek.” Chan introduces his loopy girlfriend who leans against the bed of the truck. 

 

She gives us a smile “Thanks for helping me get out of there” she nods towards Jongin

 

“It was nothing” he shrugs, leaping out of the truck. 

 

Baek gives us another nod before going to the restroom. She seems nice, shoulder length brown hair with warm chocolate eyes and a boxy smile. “Anyway” Chan says, leaning against his truck “We’re going to a party in Long Beach. Baek’s friend is throwing a mansion party” Chan pulls his hat down on his head more “It’s a pretty long drive but we’re gonna make a stop in Irvine to pick up some weed” 

 

“Thats perfect actually I wanted to buy a few days ago but then my weed man decided he wanted to go to culinary school” Jongin chuckles 

 

“Oh our guy is great, do you guys live by Irvine? Because he delivers” 

 

“Oh no we’re from San Diego” 

 

“Oh you guys are gonna be pretty far from home” 

 

“It’s not a big deal, anyway who knows? Maybe we’ll get all the way to Sacramento” 

 

“I want to go to Seattle” I murmur uncertainly 

 

This leave both of them in a fit of laughter I don’t really understand. Chan staggers to the truck window and reaches in. He pulls out four boxes of Girl Scout cookies “Eat up Sehun, I think it’ll help sober you up.” 

 

I take the cookies without a second thought, opening a box of Thin Mints with trepidation. “Why do you have a bunch of Girl Scout cookies in the middle of June? Isn’t cookie season in like January?” 

 

Chan takes a row of cookies for himself “My little sister’s a Girl Scout and the last time she sold cookies my family bought like two cases of each flavor. Baek bought four cases of those little peanut butter ones” he laughs

 

At that moment Baek comes back “My ears are ringing” she chimes, helping herself to some cookies “Oh my god the do-si-does are like crack” 

 

“The what?” I ask 

 

She olds up an orange box “These are underrated, thin mints get all the glory” she claims before ripping open the package and devouring the cookies

 

“Alright everyone buckle up we’ve got to visit our sweet uncle Lu” Chan claps his hands and everyone goes back to their seats in the truck. I lean against the corner of the truck bed and rest my head against the window 

 

“Chan drive smooth” Jongin calls into the window. Chan gives him an ‘ok’ symbol with his hand and Jong lays down with his head in my lap “I told you tonight was gonna be good” he murmurs 

 

“We’ll see” I slur, eagerly eating my cookies.