4:25 pm; Graduation

Grad Night

I'm surprised Jongin graduated, but here we are on a cool evening on white folding chairs in the football field of Patrick Henry High School, waiting for our names to be mispronounced by Mr. Seymor so we can collect our diplomas while our family and underclassmen friends whoop and holler from the bleachers. 

 

Jongin's name is called first, as he walks in that slouchy way to the stage I recount our seven years of friendship. Starting from the first day of middle school, when all our teachers grouped is together as the only Asians not named Stephanie or Kevin or because we actually spoke Korean while our more Americanized peers couldn't really tell of they where Taiwanese or Chinese. Anyway, the teachers soon realized that sharing the same ethnicity did not make us similar. I was a star student from the get go, never really got into serious trouble or got anything below a B. Jongin on the other hand maintained a D+ throughout his school career and managed to get into trouble almost every other day. But alas it was one of those fated friendships. 

 

Jongin taught me to let loose every once in aa while and I helped him evade expulsion one too many times. And as I make my way up to the podium I realize how glad I am to have him, in all his slacker glory, by my side. 

 

Anyway, after nearly two hours of speeches and name calling and diploma giving and picture taking, the two of us manage a moment alone while our parents sob about how proud they are. 

 

"Congrats" I sigh, kicking tossed graduation caps around. 

 

"Didn't think I'd make it this far' he laughs

 

"Neither did I" 

 

"Anyway" he rolls his eyes with a smile on his lips "I have created a master plan for tonight" 

 

"Oh god" 

 

"Don't be a downer Sehunnie!" He nudges me "Casey's throwing a grad party and I got a bottle of vodka" 

 

"What kind?" I ask skeptically, the last time Jongin got a bottle he had bought it off of Franky Tribiano, who gave Jongin a Smirnoff bottle filled with nail polish remover, water and just a hint of very berry perfume. 

 

"Svedka" he answers sheepishly

 

"Yuck, that tastes like battery acid" 

 

Jongin sighs "It's only an entry bottle I'm sure Case has good liquor at her house, please Sehun this is gonna be a good night."

 

I sigh and pretend to hate the idea even though I already decided to go the moment he said he wanted to go to a party two days ago. I'd go anywhere Jongin wanted, because despite my disgust with alcohol and rowdy house parties in general I always want whatever Jongin wants. A part of myself loves him more than I should, and it feels rebellious and wrong and so right to be this in love with your best friend, so I just nod and tell him to text me details later. 

 

A part of me knows this night will be some disastrous, wonderful kind of night, my stomach lurches in anticipation as I follow my parents to the car.