[ part two]

[ Untitled ] [Under Editing Process]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ Irene ]

 

Summer vacation and all Wendy could ever think was that I’M a lunatic. Well, maybe she’s right.

A ‘woah’ escaped her lips as she stared right before the camp site we’ll be staying for a month. There was this big house in the middle where the gates lead and behind was various glimpses of high-element courses they’ll probably try while being in the leadership camp. Wendy’s jaw already dropped dead although I’m not sure if it’s because she’s excited or afraid because she’s not exactly the best athletic person ever, at least compared to me.

          “How we’re you able to sign me up for this place, Irene? This place is craaaaazy!” She grinned, casually putting her arms on my shoulders while I’m wondering how to take her hands off me. I didn’t have to think much because she awkwardly moved her arm away when she realized it. With a sheepish smile, she walked inside to the front desk with me trailing behind.

She must’ve thought about that kiss, but was too afraid to bring it up. We shared a smile that concert night. I mean, we’re probably in a mutual agreement although I don’t know the terms of that. I wouldn’t know what to tell her. I’m only smart on the matters of the mind, not in the heart.

Inside, the girl in the front desk gave us each our cabin key, with Wendy pouting when we’re not in the same cabin.

“Am I supposed to share a cabin with a different person?” She mutters disapprovingly.

A chuckle escaped my lips. “Well, five different persons. The cabins are huge, don’t worry. And we’ll see Seulgi and Joy soon, even that young kid Yeri. You don’t have to worry about it.” I tapped her shoulder in comfort.

“Oh great. How come you know a lot of this place? And the lady in the desk just gave me the key? Don’t I get to pay stuff or something?”

I flicked her forehead with my finger.

“You stupid! My mom owns this place! I spend my summer usually at this camp! And of course, I paid for your fees. I mean, what kind of a friend would I be if I don’t right?”

She grinned widely and surprised me with a hug.

“You’re seriously the best, smarty pants!”

Okay, I’ve had my fair share of hugs from Wendy. It was to the point that hugging her felt too familiar each time, I almost memorized how it feels. She has a good perfume too but I might seem like a creep with that. All in all, I like Wendy’s hugs. It’s like a fluff ball hugging you in warmth. It felt so comforting, protected.

“Campfire tonight for the start of the summer session, at 6 PM. Don’t be late, okay?” I told her. “Make friends too. All of the campers are good people.”

Wendy smiled and nodded.

“I will, smarty pants. I’ll see you later then?”

I smiled back.

“Sure!”

 

And when Wendy said see you later, she means literally that.

Campfire started and the campers are divided into teams based on their cabin numbers. And based on pure lack of luck, I wasn’t in the same team as Wendy’s. Worse, we were seated with our teams around the campfire and she was on the opposite side of the field, with this cabin mate of her that seems almost too touchy on her.

That darn Solar Kim.

“Hey, you’re seething with anger.” Seulgi mumbled as she passed me a goblet with cola in it. She traced where I was glaring—staring—at and laughed. “I see. Solar’s out for new cute girls, huh? I heard they are paired up for the buddy system.”

“Ah that dam witch!” I cursed silently. “I specifically told her to stay away from Wendy!”

That made Seulgi laugh a lot more.

“That makes Solar seek out that hot friend you got more, Irene! I would do the same if I was her and if I’m currently free and single, you know?”

“Wait until I tell Joy about this—“

“Hey, hey, hey! I’m just kidding! Besides, you don’t have to worry. Wendy’s dense. I’m pretty sure she thinks that Solar was just being sweet to her.”

That got me feeling worse. That means more ways for that darn snake to slither her way around Wendy. The world must be conspiring against me.

I looked up and saw how Wendy smiled while Solar was telling her something, maybe another funny story, maybe about how I slipped between rocks and fell on the water in the canoe lake a year ago. As thoughts run through my mind, my gaze darkens.

What made it worse was how Solar took a smudge on Wendy’s corner lip off with her fingers. I saw that faint tint in Wendy’s cheeks which I’m sure wasn’t caused by the campfire.

That’s it. Wendy’s getting it later tonight.

 

“You’re supposed to be in your cabins by 10. Why are you out here, owl head?”

I internally groaned after hearing Wendy’s voice. I fixed my crooked glasses and looked up to see her with that troublemaker grin she had ever since. The sky was dark, with a lot of stars lighting it up. I was sitting on the dock in the canoe lake, a laptop in my lap and a stack of papers on my right.

“Studying, that’s all.” I mumbled, returning my attention back to my laptop. Wendy took the empty seat on my left and peeked.

“What are you doing?”

“Would you understand it if I tell you?”

Wendy laughed. “Probably not.”

“Just some programming. I’m planning to set up this gaming app with some kids on my cabin. It’s not much but it’s fun.”

She giggled, “How come you’re so smart, Irene? It would’ve felt nice to be like that in a while.”

“What are you talking about? You’re smart too.”

Wendy shrugged and looked up at the sky.

“But you are different.” She mumbled. “You seem to figure things out quickly. It’s like you had all 26 plans for the 26 letters in the alphabet.”

“27. Sometimes people consider the ampersand as a letter.”

Wendy grinned. “See? You know a lot of things.”

“Knowing things and being wise are different, Wendy. It doesn’t matter if you know everything about the world if you don’t know how to use it. That’s why they said that ‘Knowledge is power’.”

“And you think you are not wise enough?”

I wished I didn’t look at her eyes because in all honesty, she’s right.

“I’m not as amazing as you thought I am, Wendy.”

She shook her head in disagreement.

“You are, in fact. Anyone who can keeps me from messing things up is pretty amazing… and you’re doing that for three years now, Joohyun unnie.”

 

[ Wendy ]

 

Don’t ask me about girls. You can just give me a ten-foot long math equation every time.

“You look like you’re gonna lose it, Wendy unnie. Like a fish out of water.” Joy playfully punched me in the shoulders, making me groan in pain.

“Hey! What’s up with you guys all punching and jabbing me in every part of the body???” I cried, “Cut me some slack, please! Irene almost killed me in that high element course today.”

“Oh really? What did she do?”

My eyes squinted as I tried to remember what happened, despite my memories being quite hazy. I remembered the highest point of the obstacle course. The hanging bridge was scary, despite the strong logs used for it. It didn’t help that the spaces between the logs we’re wide enough that I need to make big steps to reach the other one. If it weren’t for the safety ropes then trust me. I won’t even dare stand on top of that high thing.

alf way through the bridge when Irene and her partner, this cute girl named Moonbyul, started taking the same course as well. With every step, the hanging bridge started moving which gave me the jitters. My partner, Solar, THANKFULLY was holding my hand and helping me. I felt a glare burning through my back that I had to look around and see Irene with her fuming expression.

And of course, the stupid me decided to let go of the rails and give her a wave of a hand in which of course led me to a little accident. My foot slipped and I lost my balance, and probably would’ve fell for a height of twenty-five feet if it weren’t for Solar holding me by my waist and dragging me up.

Irene didn’t like it, although I have no idea why. Her frown turned to a scowl and I’m pretty sure I have to maintain a safe distance from her now. It feels like she’s gonna kill me so soon. Why did I even agree on this mess?

“Oh come on, you talk as if Irene unnie’s glare is the worst thing ever! She’s just glaring, it’s not like she pushed you off the bridge with her own bare hands. Don’t be dramatic, Wendy unnie!” Joy offered a can of ice-cold Coke that I really needed. Taking a sip, I released a long sigh.

“That’s because you never saw Irene unnie’s glare! It’s scary, Joy! It’s like I’m not meeting the light the next day!”

“Well, you just have to deal with it. Irene unnie loves you too much to actually kill you, Wendy unnie.”

I felt my cheeks flush pink.

“What did you say?”

“Ooops?” She rolled her eyes sarcastically. “Don’t think too much of my words. There will be a campfire sing along tonight and some fireworks. Until then, I don’t have to tell you what to do right?”

“Are you like a psychic or what?”

Joy laughed. “No. But it doesn’t take a wise person to know what you should do from now on, you butthead.”

“No one called me butthead since seventh grade.”

She punched my shoulder.

“Maybe not to your face!”

On the corner of my eyes, I saw Solar walking close to us. Joy winked and walked off just as Solar took the empty seat beside me.

“So, heard your friends with that Bae Joohyun? Like the daughter of Bae Corp?”

“Yeah…? I didn’t think it was such a big deal though.”

Solar smiled.

“I see… No wonder she seems kinda… protective, about you.”

Protective? Irene? About me? What???

Solar took a deep breath and smiled, looking ahead without meeting my eyes. When I glanced at where she’s staring, I noticed it was Irene who was in the other side of the pavilion. Oh how I wish our stares didn’t meet. There goes those glares again. It’s like I’m nearing my death.

“She cares about you, a lot…” Solar mumbled, smiling sweetly at me.

“How’d you know…?”

“I know… We’re childhood friends, along with Bogum. Although Irene doesn’t really show that she likes me. She thinks I’m a big flirt!”

“You’re not a big flirt.” I muttered that got her laughing.

“Oh am I? You don’t seem to observe people quite well, Son Seungwan-ssi…”

“H-how did you—“

“You need to know your target when you plan to flirt with them, Wendy. It’s like the basic steps.”

“W-wait, s-so you mean you’re flirting with me after all?”

She laughed some more.

“Yeah… But… I don’t…plan to continue.” Her eyes sparkled while still looking across the pavilion. “I have my eyes set for someone now.”

I only noticed it then, that Solar wasn’t actually looking at Irene. Instead, she was looking at Irene’s partner, Moonbyul.

“Well, I guess we better get going. The team games are starting soon, once the sun sets. I bet Irene’s already preparing herself to pulverize you tonight in the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter