[ special part 07 ]

[ Untitled ] [Under Editing Process]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[I didn't proofread yet because I'm busy so maybe later. Love you guys. lols]

 

[Bogum]

 

Irene was always pretty in my eyes, even back when we were little kids. She’s always there in my watercolor-painted memories. Small, petite and sweet, like a little girl made of sugar, spice and everything nice. Back when we were kids, there was always the three of us. Solar, Irene and me. The best friends, the three who always hold hands and run through fields and galaxies and play all day long in my house’s backyard or sometimes it could be Irene’s or Solar’s. We were stuck like brothers and sisters, going through everything with our short limbs and brightest smiles. It was then we only knew of love as its purest of forms. We thought that love was when we blow on each other’s wounds so the pain would relieve or when we let each other lend each other’s toys dear to us because we’re one. I didn’t think that time would pass by so quickly.

Then our kindergarten memories slowly started to fade. I started hanging out with boys my age, Irene started to stay in her room to read books and study while Solar was out there, left with no one but her little dolls to play.

Time passed us by so quickly, until we all grew apart but was still close enough to share comforting, familiar smiles. Solar was still there, despite going to a different school, smacking my head when I said something that earns the “such a boy…” comment. Irene was still there, buried in her architecture books like how I always remembered (although it baffles me why would she want to be an architecture when someone as smart as her can be a doctor instead). And I was the star boy in campus, popular for girls for being gentle and nice, but wished I was popular enough for those two girls to be proud of.

I always thought we would stuck through anything, but we all found our circle of friends we needed, complemented us the best that we can’t complain. Sometimes I feel regret, seeing how Irene started to grow close to Wendy, the two of them sharing their future together. Sometimes, I feel bad for feeling that way. Childhood memories were always painted in watercolors, because it fades away before you can paint it with more vivid colors.

And now when I look at Irene, she’s more than the water color painting in my mind.

Her in that beautiful pink dress, her in that smile that could’ve light up the whole city if only I wasn’t the one standing next to her. She was breathtakingly beautiful, more than my childhood memories and more than my feelings for her.

“Wow…” I exclaimed, grinning at her direction while she playfully punch my shoulder.

“Shut up, Bogum… You don’t look bad yourself.” She muttered. “Come on, let’s go to the buffet table. I want to get some of the fries.”

I just nodded, led her way and stood by her side, like a reliable butler I seem to be next to her. Some says we look good together, but was always overshadowed by Wendy’s presence. No one beats Irene’s smile when she’s with Wendy, and when that girl was next to her, Wendy was all she sees.

It feels bad, getting won over by a girl, but I couldn’t complain. I’m in Irene’s life as it is, a childhood friend, a reliable brother-like presence. I’m used to it. I’m okay with it even when it sometimes .

We sat on a table for two, some couples dancing in the middle. She was eating some chips and a beef slider. And then she looks around at the open view. We had the dance in the soccer field, lights hanging from poles they were able to put up. Petals were scatted on the grass and the trees were decorated with multiple colored lights to lit up the night. Nothing beats the starry sky above though. Knowing Irene, I know she’ll be amazed by the sight.

And she is.

“Wendy would’ve liked this…” She mumbled, a content smile on her lips as she looked up at the sky. “She would’ve liked the food too. She likes greasy stuff.”

I chuckled, despite it sounding quite airy. There she was again, speaking of her girlfriend. She wasn’t the type to gush over her crush. Casual references, that’s what she does. Like on a normal day, something reminds her of Wendy and she says it. It was endearing and it makes me quite jealous. I never had someone as special as that.

“If she would’ve liked this, why didn’t bring you here instead?”

She paused in silence for a moment. I thought she wasn’t gonna answer. She did.

“I thought it’s time for her to have some space, have fun even without me.” Irene answered, surprising me. “I didn’t want to lock her in a relationship where she feels conflicted. She could roam around like a bird, and I don’t want to chain her just because I’m afraid to fly, Bogum.”

“But…” I stopped, wondering if I should continue. But as a good friend, I stopped hesitating. “Have you ever thought that in Wendy’s point of view, it would only be worth it when you’re there?”

“She doesn’t need to share every memory with me, Bogum.”

“She wants to.”

She didn’t say anything back.

I looked at her eyes. “Wendy’s the happiest whenever you’re around… and you are the happiest whenever she’s around. It wasn’t hard to put that together, Irene.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter