Fridge

Lil' Something
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Why are we back here?" I asked without moving my eyes away from the object in front of me, still dazed as I slurped on my McDonald's ice-cream, courtesy of my apologetic housemate. 

 

"Because we agree that our fridge is too small." 

 

"It isn't," I managed to reply, still lost in my own thoughts. 

 

"It is. I insist. I couldn't even fit the turkey in there last Christmas," Baekhyun said monotonously, mirroring my expressionless face and eating his own share of ice-cream. The silence between us persisted for another minute while we stared at the price tag of our dream fridge wordlessly, finishing our food in the unchanging buzz of the electronics store. It wasn't until a sales assistant came by to politely remind us of food and drinks rules in the store that we finally came to our senses. 

 

"We should get out and finish our ice-cream," I remarked, slightly embarrassed. 

 

"Since when do you care?" There was a slightly air of surprise in Baekhyun's voice, but I decided to let it go. 

 

"Baek, we did  break the rules. There's no point in making the life of that trainee any tougher," I said, rolling my eyes at the man-child that is my friend, "just because we bought the TV from him last month doesn't mean we are entitled to break the rules." 

 

He squinted his eyes and moved close to me to scrutinise my expression, which I'm sure was just a display of judgment and annoyance directed at him. Our face was barely inches apart, before he retractedhis stance. "You're being unusually nice to the workers here today."

 

I flicked his forehead, and he winced at the sudden pain. "Byun Baekhyun, I'm always nice. And I've been the mentor to a new kid in the office recently, so I guess I'm starting to recall the terrible life of a young working adult more lately." I led out a deep sigh as my memories drifted back to the early days of us stepping into the workforce. On many days we felt like walking on a tightrope, hoping that our probational period would end well, our supervisors would write decent assessments of us, and that we could actually keep the job. I wondered whether Taeyong's generation still shared those thoughts, because it struck me that as similar as he was to the other new employees who joined with him, that kid seemed fearless. For one, the Monday after his two-weeks mentorship with me was over, he outrightly pointed out to me that my eye bags were "terrible". I certainly don't remember ever telling my bosses that, no matter how friendly they are. It's either I have no authority to him at all as a superior, or his generation is simply more brazened than I thought. 

 

"Oh, you had a mentee?" Baekhyun's eyebrows raised along with his curiosity, "is she pretty?" 

 

We had finished our food then. After he offered to throw our cups away, we paced back into the stall, looking at nothing in particular as we slowly headed back to the refridgerator section. 

 

"I like how you automatically assumed it's a girl," I smiled, "it's a he." 

 

That got Baekhyun's full attention, because he dropped his slow walk by my side and stepped in front of me, whipping around and stopping me in the middle of two shelves displaying vacuum cleaners (which I really think we should invest in, instead of a new fridge). 

 

"You didn't tell me that," he said almost accusingly, but also with a hint of amused interest. I frowned. 

 

"I don't tell you everything at work Baek. Nor do you tell me everything," I compla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter