Willy Wednesday

Lil' Something
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I think the fact that I was (a) a woman approaching 30 who is (b) unmarried with no current date and (c) living with my ert of a best friend only truly hit home when I camped over at Chen's on 'Willy Wednesday'. It's strange how the impact of this realisation had not dawned on me when Irene broke her wedding news to me, or when Baekhyun and I discussed it over the dinner table. 

 

I think it had everything to do with the fact that my gay best friend was so used to me coming over every fortnight that he had given up on being subtle with his partner.

 

"At least I didn't contribute to the count of weddings we have in class," Chen remarked dryly while digging into the absolutely delicious spaghetti his partner conjured that evening, "you can still make the mark for the sixteenth pair! You know you won't be the last!"

 

I glared at him because I could. He could blame my grumpiness on my period and I wouldn't care (I wasn't having my period). Xiumin took a seat beside Chen across me and started on his own meal too. 

 

"That's not your contribution. That's the government I should be thanking for disallowing gay marriage in this country. And then of course I should thank Xiumin here for actually taking one for the team by falling in love with you despite being a respectable senior in school. We both know Xiumin would have whisked you away first thing to marriage registration if they ever legalised it," I pointed my fork at the innocent-looking make beside Chen who looked absolutely lost at the turn of conversation, "and I'm sure he's really plotting a retirement plan in the US if he can afford it just so that you guys can get the cert. Xiumin the food is amazing as usual by the way."

 

His puffy cheeks struck again as he smiled at my compliment. He nudged Chen slightly with a raised brow. 

 

"Sehun is getting married with Irene. Obviously our clique is attending and our dear bridesmaid here realised she and Baekhyun are the only unmarried singles left in class, excluding myself. Being a 29 year old woman, her hormones are driving he-" Chen stopped when I threatened to throw a meatball at him. "It's funny because it's true, Kang Jisoo. Just be glad Chanyeol isn't here as well to make even more inappropriate jokes." 

 

I rolled my eyes. "I stay with Baek, I'm a master in withstanding inappropriateness."

 

That elicited a soft laughter from both males, and I couldn't tell whether that came with understanding or sympathy or both. Either way Chen knew Baek as much as I did, given that my friendship circle was mainly the two of them and Chanyeol through the years. Of course as Xiumin and Hojung came into the picture, we welcomed all the plus ones with open arms. 

 

That excludes one-night-stands. It's not that we are particularly hostile against them, but sometimes they do give us second-hand embarrassment. But that's another story for another time. 

 

"I think the problem is really just you. You have to stop throwing Baek under the bus with you everytime you mention your singlehood," Chen the king of bull continued almost too sincerely, "he's actually having Willy Wednesdays, Fun Fridays and sometimes even Terrific Thirst-days. At least he's getting it on with some people and has occasional flings that last more than a few weeks. You, on the end, decides to camp at your best friends' places while he's working hard on his end. You should be out and about knowing new people. That's how you take things forward."

 

"Not that we mind having you. It's lovely having you around," Xiumin added. Bless that man for all the sweetness that he is. Sometimes I wonder which country Chen saved in his previous life to deserve him. 

 

"And honestly I don't think you're half bad. It's just about waiting for the right person." 

 

"Haha," I sighed, "funny someone just told me the same thing."

 

"Who?" Chen asked. 

 

"Baek."

 

"What? About being the right person?" Xiumin tilted his head in confusion.

 

"What, no!" I stared at him in surprise that he would even remotely connect Baek to those words. "He said I was not half bad." 

 

Xiumin blinked a couple of times, before examining his partner, as if he was searching for some of guidance from my bestie regarding what to say.

 

"He said you're not half bad?" Chen mirrored his partner's baffling expression, and I could only roll my eyes again. 

 

"Guys, we're almost 30 - sorry Xiumin you actually are beyond 30 - we are not going down that line of logic again," I almost stabbed through the pl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter