Just Friday

Lil' Something
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Taeyong, why are you still here?" I asked the young employee who was still at his desk at 8pm in the evening. 

 

The young boy looked up at me, his face illuminated by the bright desk lamp on his table, and I could see that he was frowning at the fact that I had just gotten myself a cup of coffee from the pantry. 

 

"I feel bad if my mentor is still at work and I go off early." 

 

Gosh it's only the second day of his arrival and my list of compliments for this boy is already endless. 

 

"It's Friday, go have fun," I smiled at him. It wasn't like I had too much work to rush either, but I just wanted to stay till Baekhyun was done with his Fun Friday. It's strange, because it was an extremely rare case that he'll go for all three nights of the week. For one I did not know he still had that kind of stamina, and secondly he simply didn't. Baek was usually more considerate than to chase me out of the house three nights in a row. The last time he did that, he lost a major client and he thought his career had ended there and then. 

 

Although now that I think about it, I think I might have stopped his streak by forcing him to a night of heart-to-heart talk with me over Tangled and chicken and beer. 

 

"Do you always stay back in the company at night? I heard this is your third night this week," he said, visibly concerned. I figured for a newcomer, he must be worried about the prospects of overworking. 

 

"No Taeyong, I don't always stay back to work. It's also not an expectation nor a company culture. Please don't worry about it," I finished off with another smile just to ease his mind. Poor boy, I hope he was too daunted by the work I was giving him yet. 

 

"Oh I'm not worried about that," he said, taking me by surprise. I followed his gaze to my coffee. 

 

"I'm genuinely worried for the fact that you are drinking coffee at 8pm in the evening, and have no desire to go home..." his sentence ended in a hushed whisper, probably because he realised he ought not to have said that to his superior on the second day of work, and that his quick mouth got the better of him. A soft giggle left my lips, and he relaxed after that. 

 

"You know what Taeyong? You're right. I shouldn't be drinking coffee at 8pm, and I don't want you to starve with me in the office either. Let's go for dinner," I said. His eyes widened in surprise, but a smile quickly found its way to his handsome face and he quickly gathered his things. I did the same, except that I did a quick sprint to the pantry to throw that cup of coffee away as well. 

 

And that was also the night I found out how quick gossip spreads in the office. 

 

As Taeyong and I feasted on soondae and stew at a roadside stall, I was pretty sure that the boy was finding it very hard to ask me why I did not want to go home that evening, simply because he's already heard about "my estranged long lost brother". The boy kept skirting around the issue in a cute awkward way, and I could tell behind those bright eyes of an intelligent young man, Taeyong was trying to be extremely sensitive when I asked him about his siblings and their relationship. He tried really hard in downplaying the fact that his two older brothers obviously adored him and his parents probably loved him extremely as the youngest child in the family. I found it absolutely adorable that he kept taking mouthfuls of beer when he needed time to figure out how to put things in a sensible manner. 

 

"Please don't mind me saying this Jisoo noona," I almost choked on my food at the new term of address, but managed to keep my composure through sheer will power, "but it's really unhealthy to overwork yourself too much. If you want, we can always have dinners out, or you can swing by for dinner at my family's." 

 

It took me a while to assess his expression and tone to realise that Taeyong was genuinely worried about my supposed life choices in avoiding my "brother", and that he was not trying to flirt with me. All he was doing was to try offering me some family warmth that he thought I sorely lacked. 

 

But the opportunity to tease the boy was too hard to pass up. 

 

"Taeyong, are you flirting with me on the second day of work?" I said, hitting his head lightly with the end of my chopsticks. The boy's face flushed an even redder shade than it did from the beer, and it was simply hilarious to witness. 

 

"No! I mean, I just," he stuttered, his usual air of confidence in the office gone, "I just thought you might want..." 

 

"Exactly how much h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter