Diagnosis: In love (04)

Diagnosis: In love

 

The next day, I received a call which I didn't expect.

"Where are you now?" His voice sounded from the receiver, a very soothing voice.

"I'm on the way back to the dormitory. Is there anything you need?" I asked.

"Yeah, you left some work yesterday, I'll need your assistance." He said.

I was feeling really happy deep inside and so I told him I'll be there once I dropped off my stuffs. I can't really express the feeling that I'm feeling whenever I hear his voice, it's just sheer happiness and it's loading up so packed together that my heart felt like it's gonna burst.

I slightly ran over to the lab and he was there already. I knocked and waited for him to say "Enter."  before I stepped in.

He passed me gloves and some tools then instructed me on how he needs me to assist him for today.

He's especially serious when at work, I'm mesmerised by it.

"Hey, focus on the sample, not me." Jong Dae said and he stood behind me, with his head somewhere near my shoulder to gain view and we worked on dissecting the sample together.

I could feel his warmth emitting, if not for the medical mask that we were both wearing, I would have been an obvious tomato.

Kim Jong Dae watched how the girl behaves every now and then, he liked how they are right now, in fact, he likes her for sure.

Once we are done with the work, I turned and looked at him, those mesmerising eyes were all I can see.

Jong Dae placed his tools down and took his gloves and mask off, "Alright, that's good for today." he said 

I was just caught in that moment whereby he smiled, Jong Dae looked at me and patted my head, "Thanks for today."

I nodded, "You're welcomed." I said.

Kim Jong Dae watched as she kept that faint blush on her cheeks, she's just so adorable and angelic.

"Are you hungry? I thought of going out to grab a meal, wanna come along?" He asked while he picked up his stuffs.

I took my things too, "Where are you going now?" I asked.

He smiled, "Will be out. Come on, I'll drive." 

 

I followed obediently just behind him, Jong Dae then stopped and held my hand, "Come on, don't walk behind me." and so both of us were holding hands all the way till we reached his car.

Jong Dae then let go of my hand, he opened the car door for me and gestured me in in a gentleman way.

We got into the car together, Jong Dae started the engine, "Ah.. all that work makes me hungry." He grudged.

I laughed a little, he eyed me, "That's it. You look great when you smile." He casually said and then started the car.

Leaving me shy and blushing on my own.

 

We came to a cafe, seems like Jong Dae is already a regular there. We went to sit down together at a cozy area, he ordered a cup of americano with some pastries.

"What would you like?" He asked.

"Latte, thank you." I replied.

"Get her an Earl grey cake as well, that will be all." Jong Dae added.

I didn't know how he knew that was my favourite, Jong Dae simply smiled and didn't say anything much after that.

"Oh yes, the book, I left it at my place. I'll pass it to you tomorrow, you're gonna need it for your essay isn't it?" He said.

I nodded, "That would be great, thank you." I can no longer keep my focus.

Just the two of us here in a cafe together, it felt like a date.. oh gosh, what on Earth am I thinking..?

The food and drinks were served not long after we ordered, "You are in your first year isn't it?" Jong Dae started the topic.

I nodded, "Sunbae is gonna graduate soon, isn't it?" I asked, a slight tint of disappointed might have slipped out.

Jong Dae patted my head gently, "I'll be good. Things have been arranged, I'll be furthering my studies in the States and then I'll be back again."

Upon hearing, my heart clenched, "How long would that be?" I asked.

Jong Dae looked away, to the outsides with all the greens, cars passing by, "I don't know about that either."

I stirred my cup on latte, feeling a little down but tried not to show it too obviously, "Then I shall work hard for the following years to come till I get to see sunbae again." I said.

Jong Dae looked at me once again, he smiled, he loves smiling whenever he's with me.

"Alright then, that shall be our promise. You better work really hard so as to catch up to me." He said proudly.

I nodded, not letting myself get discouraged, "I'll be an outstanding one before you even come back." 

Jong Dae smiled, "That's good to hear." he said and we enjoyed the time spent together.

 

Jong Dae drove me back to school afterwards though I declined his offer once but he said he had to make sure that I reach school safely.

I bowed to him after getting off his car, "Then I shall see you soon." He said and then drove off.

Luckily there wasn't too much human flow, thank goodness and so I went straight back to the dormitory to start on my essay writing.

 

For the past one week's time, I was busy with finishing up my essay before the deadline and Jong Dae seems to be busy too. I've heard that his experiments showed optimal results and he would be presenting it to the medical council as a proposal to request for funds with continuing the research.

Soo Ah had a stack of papers with her too while I was working on my essay, "I've heard, he's pretty impressive going all the way to the medical council to present his proposal." she commented.

I smiled upon hearing, Soo Ah rarely praise other people so I thought it was a really big thing when she said so.

"Look at you smiling like a fool." Soo Ah ruffled my head, "Aigoo.. Seo Min Ah, your essay, focus."

I tidied up my hair, "I know.." and then continued smiling like a fool just like she said.

Shin Soo Ah could sense clearly that her best friend has fallen in love and that guy happens to be someone capable and impressive. But at the same time, she worries for her as that inpressive man whom her best friend fell in love with wasn't going to be around her soon.

 

After submitting my essay, I finally got the time to take a break. Soo Ah made time out as well, we decided to go shopping together on one weekend.

"Min Ah, you thought about what to do when he graduates?" She asked.

"Huh?" I was stunned for a moment then I realised what she was gonna talk about.

"I meant Kim Jong Dae. What are you gonna do once he graduates and leave school? I heard that he's gonna be furthering his studies in the States." Soo Ah said.

She wasn't the gossipy type but she happens to know because other people were talking about it and she paid more attention as it has got to do with her best friend.

I shook my head, "To be honest, I don't really know. Nothing is for sure as of now and we are not anything to start with." I said.

We decided to get a seat at a cafe and ordered drinks.

"You like him don't you?" She asked.

I nodded, "I like him but there's nothing I can do. At least, I think he won't be interested. He has got goals which he had to achieve and he's doing it on his own step by step." I said.

The drinks came and I took a sip before continuing, "I don't want to be doing anything which will turns out to be an obstacle for him." I said.

Soo Ah then went into silence, she spoke once again after having a few sips of tea, "I see but are you sure that's what you want?"

I don't have an answer for that yet, "I don't know. Soo Ah, it's okay for things between sunbae and I to be like this. Just keeping it simple makes me comfortable as well so don't worry." I assured her.

She nodded, " Well, if that's what you want. Just let me know if you need someone to talk to."

I smiled, "I know that, Soo Ah is the best." I said.

She laughed it off and we finished up our drinks before continuing with the shopping.

 

Time passed when nobody noticed, by the time the final examinations are over, Jong Dae rang me up.

He texted me a few times every now and then, we kept contact but very minimal. I didn't want to disturb him while he was busy on his own, preparing for his final year thesis presentation.

"Are you free today?" He asked over the phone.

"I have time after school." I said.

"Then I'll meet you at the carpark when it's 2." he said then phone call ended.

The same feeling arises from the depth of my heart, that butterfly feeling that makes me feel so happy and anxious at the same time.

 

It was 2pm sharp that I arrived at the carpark, Jong Dae was already there, standing beside his white posh car and he smiled when he saw me walking towards him.

He gestured me into his car and then started the engines.

"Where are we going today?" I asked.

He secured the seat belt for me, the sudden closening of gap between us made me shy and blushed a little.

Jong Dae smiled, "Just wanted to take a break, the finals was taxing even for me, you see?" he joked.

I laughed, "Wasn't that supposed to be a piece of cake for you?"

Jong Dae ruffled my head with his big, warm palm, "Cheeky." he said.

He drove off, "Anywhere you wanna go?" He asked.

I thought of going to the marine aquarium the other day so I suggested it, he agreed, "Alright, let's go."