Chapter 8: Is it a new start for us?

Sour Candy

“Good morning, my baby sunshine~” Jun smiles flirty and gives a wink to Seungkwan who just arrived to the teachers’ room.

“Ew, go away!”  Seungkwan shoos Jun and quickly goes to his table in the corner of the room.

“Why does my sunshine so mean to Jun?” Jun gives him his puppy eyes making Seungkwan cringes.

“Stop talking as a third person, please. It’s disgusting.” Seungkwan puts down his bag and takes out his laptop.

“Jun wants his morning greeting from his ball of sunshine!” He pouts and stomps his feet.(AN: I internally cringe when writing this. But don’t get me wrong, I love Jun to the Mun and back, pun intended.)

“Did you just call me a ball- whatever…Good morning, Mr. Wen.” Seungkwan says quietly feeling dizzy by all of agyeo so early in the morning.

“Is there something wrong, baby? Jun will be sad too if Seungkwan is sad.” Jun kneels besides Seungkwan and his head resting on the table.

“I’m fine, thanks. So please go.” Seungkwan gives him forced smile but that’s somehow enough for Jun. Bless his pure heart.

“Morning, .” Jeonghan gives Seungkwan a paper of morning teachers’ attendance list.

“Oh my God, Mr. Yoon. We are in the school. Mind your language!” Seungkwan whispers loudly taking the attendance list.

“Oops, my bad. I mean…Good morning, Mr. Boo. How are you today?” Jeonghan smirks and taking the nearest chair to sit besides Seungkwan’s table.

“I’m fine, at least to teach later. The rest not so much.” He signs the paper and gives it back to Jeonghan. “Today is your schedule?”

“Yeah, I swap with Jihoon. Because I’ll have a date with a hot daddy tomorrow.” Jeonghan winks at the word ‘daddy’.

“I’m sorry?” Seungkwan opens his bottle drinking lemon water.

“What? Do you want me to set you up with a hot daddy too?” Seungkwan chokes at his drink and coughs loudly.

“Oh my….Jeonghan hyung! How can you know- have a date with a daddy?” He whispers at the last word.

“I have my way. So do you want or not?”

“NO! Yoon Jeonghan, you are a teacher for God sake. Dating with a- you know what? Nevermind. I didn’t hear anything.” Seungkwan takes out his headphone trying to block all of the nonsense this morning.

“Morning, Kwan. What’s wrong? Jeonghan hyung messed up with your brain again?” Jihoon gives him a piece of paper. “Here’s the new score by the way. Don’t you dare change your mind again. I can’t direct a group of choir by myself.”

“They are barely fifteen people, Jihoonnie.” Seungkwan takes the paper and reads the score.

“Yeah, barely fifteen people and all of them are pain in the .” Jihoon rolls his eyes thinking about the choir students.

“What do you mean, Jihoon? I’ll be the one who will feel pain in my tomorrow.” Jeonghan winks at Jihoon who is genuinely confused.

“What do you me-.” “Oh my God, Jeonghan hyung! Shut up! My innocent ears.” Seungkwan covers his ears from any possible sins dripping from Jeonghan’s lips.

“Morning, guys. Good morning, Seungkwan.” Jisoo walks up to them and sits on his desk besides Seungkwan’s.

“Good morning, Joshua.” Seungkwan smiling, finally someone normal, at least he could give a balance from all of the absurdity Seungkwan faced this morning.

“Oh, before I go to my class. I get the information about the language project from Mr. Han.” Joshua takes out his notes. “So the community is called Diamond Language Community. The representatives of the community are two people. They will be here at 10 o’clock, you don’t have any class right? All of the language teacher will be in the language lab. I already informed Jun.” Seungkwan nods and writes some important point to a piece of post-it notes.

“What are their name?” Seungkwan stops his writing.

“Ah, I forgot to ask their name. But the headmaster called them Mr. Lee and…Mr. Chwe.” Jisoo closes his notes completely oblivious by the surprised face of the trio besides him.

“Josh, Mr. Lee and Mr. who?” Jeonghan inquires.

“I’m sure it was ‘Chwe’. The name is pretty unique, don’t you think so?” Jisoo smiles innocently still not catching the sudden change of atmosphere around him.

“Seungkwan, are yo-” Jihoon is cut by Seungkwan who suddenly stands up with unreadable face.

“Thank you, Josh. Well, the class will start in 10 minutes so I better go there now. It’s in the third floor.” Seungkwan packs his books and laptop and walks out of the teacher’s room.

“Jihoon, what should we do now?” Jeonghan whispers at Jihoon.

“I don’t know. But I’ll give a task to my class at 10 later so I can look after Seungkwan. You can’t leave your class, hyung.” Jeonghan only nods at the plan.

 

 

“Good morning, class. Everyone’s here? No one’s sick?” Seungwan sets up his laptop immediately he arrived at the class.

“Good morning, Mr. Boo. The attendance is perfect.” Chan, the chair of the class, answers.

“Thank you, Chan. So for today’s lesson, close your book and put it on your bag. No, don’t worry, I’m not giving you a surprise quiz.” The students cheer happily except one student. “Because today we will be watching a movie. But I want you to make a simple essay about your opinion related to the movie. One page of essay will do. Questions?” the students are silent taking out their notes to write some important point later. A student raises his hand.

“Yes, Chan?”

“No…it’s just, are you okay, Mr. Boo. You looked pale.” Chan asking quietly where only Seungkwan can hear that because the boy practically sits in front of the teacher’s table. Seungkwan is a little bit taken aback by the question.

“Why do people keep asking me if I’m okay?” Seungkwan mutters barely audible.

“Pardon, Mr. Boo?”

“Yes, Chan. I’m perfectly fine. Thanks for asking.” Seungkwan gives him a small smile but sighs afterward making the student is not convinced at all.

 

 

Seokmin and Vernon arrive at the Pledis High 30 minutes before the meeting with the language teachers. They already met the headmaster and now waiting in the language lab. Vernon can’t stop tapping his foot and scrambling his notes since he sits. He is sweating bucket. No, not because of the meeting. He is 100% percent ready with his presentation and he is more than sure on everything he’ll tell related to the project. His mind is ready but not his heart.

“You ready?” Seokmin can feel Vernon’s nervousness making him feels anxious too.

“I don’t know, hyung. What if I messed up because of my problem? What if I forgot everything when I saw his face? What if-” Vernon starts to rambling.

“Vernon, look at me. You’ll be fine. If you forgot the material, you can read the notes or I’ll help you.” Vernon nods feeling a little bit ease, a little bit. He is still imagining all of the possible worst cases that might happen later.

Vernon decides to go out of the lab to get some fresh air. He sighs trying calming his heartbeat. “You can do it, Hansol!” He slaps himself quiet hard.

“Ouch! That must be hurt. Are you okay there, dude?” A tall handsome guy stands beside him looking in pain rubbing his own cheek.

“Yeah, I’m okay…just nervous.”

“Oh, if you’re nervous, try eating a candy. It’ll relax your muscle. Am I right, Seungkwannie?” the guy looks at a person behind him. Vernon freezes at the sight in front of him.

Seungkwan looks really different, way different from Seungkwan he knows in high school and when he met him two days ago. He styled his hair neatly showing the right part of his forehead. He dyed his hair dark brown. He wears a light make up to make him looking fresh. He wears a plain black shirt with brown dress pants and formal shoes. If Vernon falls on Seungkwan’s cute fashion before, he is falling again on Seungkwan’s formal style. He is falling in love for the second time if it’s even possible.

“Yes, Jun.”

 

###

“Are you ready, Hansollie?” Seungkwan was sitting besides Hansol who’s reading his text for the tenth time today.

“I don’t know, Boo. What if I messed up? What if I faint in front of the class and they’ll laugh at me. They’ll tell every student in this school and my life will never be the same again. I might be should move from this school due to the embarrassment. You’ll feel embarrassed talking to me. You’ll leave me and…and I’ll die alone in my room after crying for days.” Vernon crumbled his text unconsciously. Seungkwan hold his hands stopping Hansol’s movement.

“You will not mess up anything. You will not faint and no one is going to laugh at an unconscious person. I will not leave you alone even if you are embarrassing yourself. You’ll be fine, Hansol. I promise.” Seungkwan gave him his brightest smile.

“You promise?”

“Yes, I am! Here, eat this. A candy can help you relaxing your muscle.” Hansol took the candy and eat it feeling a little bit better. It was a chocolate milk candy, Hansol’s favorite.

“Better?” Seungkwan titled his head cutely and Hansol nodded.

“Thanks, Boo.”Hansol smiled for the first time that day.

“Anytime, Hansollie.” Seungkwan chuckled looking at his best friend smiling.

###

 

“I don’t have a candy.” Vernon says quietly looking at Seungkwan.

“Oh, Seungkwan has some. He has like tons of candies on his bag. He really loves sweet stuff. Seungkwan, give him the candy.” Jun nudges Seungkwan and the latter boy opens his bag handing Vernon a chocolate milk candy.

“Thanks, Boo.” Vernon takes the candy. He smiles looking at his favorite candy. The thought of Seungkwan is still keeping Vernon’s favorite candy on his bag warms his heart a little.

“You’re welcome, Mr. Chwe. But please call me Mr. Boo. We are in the school.” Seungkwan says with a monotone voice. Vernon looks at Seungkwan again who still keeps his emotionless expression.

“I’m sorry…Mr. Boo.” Vernon can’t hide his sad smile which moves something on Seungkwan’s heart. He almost loses his control and hugs the person in front of him but Joshua’s voice wakes him up.

“Seungkwan, you’re here. Hey, Jun, you’re early!” Joshua widens his eyes when he sees Vernon also stands in front of the lab. “You-”

“Well,well, well…Welcome ladies and- oh only gentlemen? Okay then, let’s come in.” Seokmin walks out of the lab door and smiling brightly. More teachers come to the lab. The meeting will be started in 5 minutes.

Vernon eats the candy already feeling more relax than before. He kept the chocolate plastic on his pocket. He is looking at Seungkwan who is talking to Joshua but he knows that sometimes Seungkwan is stealing glances at him.

“Vernon, let’s start.” Seokmin whispers from is chair besides where Vernon standing.

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Chwe Vernon, I teach English and my friend here is Lee Seokmin, He teaches Korean. We are from Diamond Language Community. Today, I’d like to show you the details of our proposal about a project which will be held for the next four months in this school.”

Seokmin clicks on the laptop moving the next slide of the presentation.

Vernon can smell the chocolate milk candy. Seungkwan’s eyes are on him but he feels more calm than ever.

________________

AN: I love y Jeonghan. I can feel secondhand embarrassment when writing Jun’s part.

So… how do you think of the story so far? Do you realize it’s been only four days in the story and I only have 8 chapters for it?