Vampire

Transcendence

Prompt by GamerArtGirl on AO3

“How Hanbin deals with his vampire boyfriend, Jiwon.”

———

Hanbin stared in exasperation as his boyfriend peeked out from their bedroom door, eyes teary and pouting.

“You know I can’t be around garlic!” He was wailing, eyeing the plastic bag Hanbin held when he came back from the grocery store with disdain and disgust.

“We’re having guests over, Jiwon! The recipe needs garlic!” Hanbin waved the bag at him and Jiwon scurried away farther into the bedroom, closing the door for good measure.

“You’re being a baby,” Hanbin called out to him, walking into their kitchen to put the produce away.

“I’m being a vampire,” his boyfriend replied indignantly, locking the door.

Yup. A vampire. And no, Jiwon wasn’t kidding, he was actually a vampire.

Hanbin didn’t know falling in love with his classmate who always seemed to avoid the sunlight at any cost would turn out to be one of the weirdest decisions in his life, but here he was, arguing about the values of garlic with his vampire boyfriend.

“It adds flavor,” he said to their locked bedroom door.

“It makes me break out,” Jiwon argued back. Hanbin sighed, reaching out to jiggle the doorknob.

“You’re not even going to eat it, baby,” Hanbin crooned, knowing he needed to lure Jiwon out with sweet words. He was always weak to Hanbin calling him pet names.

Jiwon grumbled, “Still…” Hanbin knew he was breaking and smirked slightly.

“I’ll let you drink from me before, okay?” The door clicked again and Hanbin let out a huff of laughter when it opened easily and he walked into the room.

Hanbin – 1, Jiwon – 0


-


They were at one of their friend’s parties and, ironically enough, Jiwon was the life of it. He stood in the middle of a crowd of people, talking animatedly and making lively gestures as everyone focused on him, his energy seemingly having a gravitational force of its own.

Hanbin stood next to him, laughing as Jiwon acted out the different stories he was regaling the crowd while having a secure arm wrapped around his human boyfriend’s waist.

The host of the party, their college friend Kim Jinhwan, came bustling through the crowd, holding an item that made Jiwon’s words stutter to a stop.

“Picture time!” Jinhwan called out cheerfully, pointing at Jiwon as he tried to sneak away. “Ah! No escaping this time, Kim Jiwon!”

Jiwon panicked while whining to the smaller elder, “But I hate having my picture taken!” Hanbin coughed lightly because he knew that wasn’t the truth.

Vampires appeared in cameras and mirrors, but the air around them always seemed slightly distorted and odd enough that it would be easily seen if someone looked closely enough.

Jiwon had been lucky enough to get out of taking pictures throughout most of his college years, but Jinhwan was particularly insistent today.

“You and Hanbin rarely even take pictures!” He was arguing, cheeks puffed out as he huffed at them.

At that, Jiwon brightened up and sent a big grin towards the elder, enough mischief in it to make Hanbin wary.

“Then you can take double the pictures with Hanbin!” He exclaimed before darting out the door, calling back to a betrayed-looking Hanbin, “I’ll see you in the car later, babe!”

He ran away and left Hanbin to the wolves – or fairy, in this case. Jinhwan descended on him with a manic smile and Hanbin was forced into taking dozens of photos, fake-smiling while cursing his wily boyfriend.

Hanbin – 1, Jiwon – 1


-


Hanbin was annoyed at Jiwon and it showed. He wore his silver jewelry he got their mutual friend, a priest-in-training named Kim Donghyuk, to bless whenever his vampire boyfriend pissed him off.

Jiwon hovered around him, trying to talk to him but only getting icy silence in return. “Babe,” he called out weakly and Hanbin turned away with a flourish, flouncing into their living room while acting like Jiwon never spoke.

Jiwon trailed after him, careful not to get too close in case the holy silver burned him. “What’d I do?” He tried again and was ignored – again.

He sighed sadly, slinking away to their room when Hanbin sent a sharp look at him and slumping down onto the bed. He rolled around sulkily before sitting up and brightening.

“I’ll ask Yunhyeong!” He patted himself on the back for his smart thinking. Hanbin always went to Yunhyeong to vent whenever he was angry at Jiwon!

He picked up his phone and called him right away, Yunhyeong picking up after the first ring. “Hello?” He asked into the receiver.

“So, you finally decided to ask me?” Yunhyeong’s amused voice filtered through and Jiwon pouted.

“…Yes,” he mumbled and Yunhyeong laughed.

“Look at the date, pabo.” Jiwon huffed but obediently got up to look at the calendar hanging on their wall, freezing when he saw it was October 23, specifically, a day after Hanbin’s birthday. The birthday he had forgotten about.

“Oh,” he replied in a small voice and Yunhyeong sighed.

“You better plan something marvelous for Hanbin, Jiwon.” Jiwon made a weak noise in reply and his friend snorted before hanging up, the dial tone ringing in Jiwon’s ear.

He burst into a flurry of motion, calling his connections to set up a surprise for Hanbin, hoping it would gain him forgiveness.

He just really wanted to be able to touch his boyfriend again.

Hanbin – 2, Jiwon – 1


-


Hanbin sometimes wondered how long they would stay together. He knew he was just a normal human while Jiwon was an immortal vampire.

He had selfishly hoped they would be together until his death, right up until he realized how cruel it would be to make Jiwon watch him slowly age and wither without him.

Hanbin tried not to think those morbid thoughts, but they crept up on him – like now, for instance.

He sat in a plush chair in their living room, curled up with a blanket covering him and staring blankly into the air. Jiwon had gone out to hunt for some prey, the darkness giving him the freedom to wander without being seen.

Hanbin usually waited for him to come back and that’s what he was doing now. He sighed, leaning his head back against the chair and closing his eyes, dozing off for a while before a hand gently shook him awake.

He murmured sleepily and heard a fond chuckle, “Baby, want me to carry you to bed?” Hanbin smiled in response to hearing Jiwon’s voice and he nodded, feeling strong arms scoop him up and hold him to a firm chest.

The air moved around him and he was laid down on a plush bed. He whined at the empty space next to him and squirmed. “Come to bed, Jiwon,” he demanded and Jiwon laughed, slipping in next to his sleepy boyfriend and pulling him into an embrace.

Hanbin sighed in happiness and slurred out, “I wish we could stay together forever,” before falling asleep, leaving Jiwon to stare at him with an unreadable look in his eyes.


-


The next time they discussed what he had mumbled in his sleep was a week later, cuddled together on the bed.

“Baby,” Jiwon started hesitantly, “can I ask you something?”

Hanbin lifted his head up from where it had been resting on his boyfriend’s chest and nodded, looking confused.

“Would… would you want to be turned with me?” Hanbin froze in shock and Jiwon flushed. “I-it’s just a hypothetical question,” he tried to explain away weakly. “Forget about it.”

Hanbin shook his head, feeling his heart starting to pound faster. “I-I want to,” he rushed out and Jiwon’s breath hitched while a smile slowly grew on his face.

“Really?” He asked and Hanbin nodded in confirmation, a pink flush covering his cheeks.

“Really,” he replied shyly and Jiwon’s smile could’ve lit up the room. “I want to be with you forever.”

“I love you, Hanbin,” Jiwon leaned in and pressed their foreheads together, gazing deeply into his boyfriend’s eyes.

“I love you too, Jiwon. So much.” Hanbin whispered back, touching their lips together in a soft, sweet kiss.

The sun slowly set outside the apartment of the intertwined lovers.

Hanbin & Jiwon - ∞