Arranged Marriage

Transcendence

Prompt by Mongji10 

“Can I have a story about an arranged marriage?”

———

“I’m what?!” Hanbin asked him mom incredulously after that bomb she dropped on him. 

She looked to the ground guiltily and repeated the sentence that shook his world. “You’re engaged.”

“I think I would remember something like that happening, mom,” he sputtered out as he ran a hand through his hair.

She bit her lip. “It’s… been there since you were born.” The confession had Hanbin closing his eyes. 

He was still a senior in high school who just found out he was engaged. To a man four years his elder. Who he had never met before. 

“Is there a way to call it off?” He asked quietly. 

His mother’s weak, “No,” echoed through the silent room and he buried his face in his hands. 

After a tense minute, he breathed in and gathered himself. “…When am I going to meet him?” His mother perked up in hope and smiled, but it slid off her face at Hanbin’s sharp look. 

“3pm tomorrow at the local café,” she answered him gently. She reached out to pat him consolingly on the arm, but Hanbin jerked back in response. 

“I can go there on my own,” he said stiffly and jogged up the stairs, “goodnight.” She sighed and stared after him regretfully.


-


Hanbin hesitated at the door of the quaint café, leaning to the side to peer into the glass windows, looking for someone who would match the description his mother texted him before he left. 

Black sweptback hair, strong jawline, muscular. 

A quick glance and he immediately spotted him in the corner of the store, thankfully. Hanbin didn’t think he could handle feeling like people were looking at them. 

He let out a breath and nodded to himself before pushing the door open, the bell string above the entrance tinkling in the quiet atmosphere. The guy in the corner looked up at the noise and smiled at the younger, apparently already knowing who he was.

Hanbin walked towards and noted in the back of his mind that as least he was marry someone handsome and obviously successful. He just hoped his personality matched the kindness in that smile. 

“Hello,” he greeted him hesitantly after taking a seat in front of him and the man nodded at him. 

“Hello, Hanbin,” his voice was smooth and low as he scooted his chair in further to lean towards Hanbin. “My name is Kim Jiwon and, um, I’m your fiancé.” A light flush crept on his cheeks as he finished and Hanbin was endeared. But only a little. 

He decided to just ask him bluntly, "Did you know about this?"

Jiwon coughed at the sudden question and shook his head, making Hanbin feel marginally better yet also sympathetic.

"My mom told me about two days ago, I think?" Jiwon said thoughtfully, tilting his head as he remembered the moment. 

He had, of course, accused his mother of playing a prank, but her serious face made him realize his engagement was very much real. At least his younger fiancé was quite adorable. "Well," Jiwon added absentmindedly, "at least I don't have a girlfriend or boyfriend." He looked at Hanbin in alarm and the younger saw his unspoken question.

"I don't have one either," Hanbin rushed to reassure Jiwon and he sighed in relief, glad he didn't accidentally break up a relationship because of this. 

"We should probably get to know one another," Jiwon suggested after a moment, "even if it's not romantic, it would be nice to have a good relationship." Hanbin smiled shyly and nodded, glad Jiwon was definitely a kind person.

“I agree,” Hanbin said and Jiwon finally relaxed, letting out an obvious sigh of relief that had the younger snickering. 

Though the conversation started out slow, they both found many things in common. A passion for music, tv shows, and work.

They laughed together and grew closer, not noticing the passing of time until a worker cleared their throat gently and told them the café was closing. 

“Oh!” Hanbin exclaimed, scrambling up as Jiwon followed him at a more leisurely pace. “I’m so sorry, we’ll get out of your way now.”

The worker laughed and told them it was okay, waving off their apologies as the left the café. Jiwon fidgeted before clearing his throat and nervously asking him, “Do you want to go somewhere else with me? I don’t want to end this.”

Hanbin smiled at him, a light blush on his cheeks. “I would love to,” he answered back shyly and Jiwon grinned, taking his hand and leading him to his car, opening the door for Hanbin like a gentleman. 

The younger slid in and looked around the obviously expensive car in amazement, taking in sleek leather of the seat and the advanced tech of the vehicle. 

Jiwon, having gotten into the car without Hanbin noticing, watched him fondly before starting it up and laughing as Hanbin yelped in surprise. 

At his glare, he grinned charmingly, “Ready to go?” Hanbin rolled his eyes, but nodded, eager to know where his fiancé was taking him. 

He watched as the streets passed them, slowly growing into more trees as Jiwon neared the local park. He stopped in a parking spot and looked at Hanbin. 

“This is a special place to me,” he told him, voice quiet like he was revealing a secret. “Whenever I get stressed out, or things become too much, I come here and just watch the trees and everything around me. It’s very peaceful.”

Hanbin softened and felt his heart melt. “Thank you for sharing this with me,” he whispered back, touched that Jiwon would share something so sacred. 

“If you’re going to be in my life, then I wanted you to be a special part of it. Just like this place.”

Hanbin looked at him in awe and felt a fond smile spread across his face as he looked at Jiwon’s open and completely earnest expression. 

He knew that they might not have started in love, but they could certainly get there. 

———

It’s unrealistic for people in an arranged marriage to fall in love right away, but with time and effort, it can certainly happen. :)